Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Broadband.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

2712608008.png

No problems for me so far anyway .

Good speeds there. Mine halves after 7pm. It drops from 12 to 6 download. Upload remains unchanged but pings are terrible 63-100 ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

jca wrote: »
    Good speeds there. Mine halves after 7pm. It drops from 12 to 6 download. Upload remains unchanged but pings are terrible 63-100 ms.

I have been playing COD on it for the last hour and my pings are a little bit lower . So I'm happy so far I'll see what it's like over the next month though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

my sky bb has become much more stable over the last month compared to last month were i was getting 1mb. getting over 12 now which is good as 15 was the max i have got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

DupsTheKid wrote: »
    Anyone else's sky connection get throttled recently? I've been on sky since the end of January and until the last day or two I had only good things to say about them. Everything was perfect, was getting decent ping and 6mb which the most I got with any other company was 5. I'm now getting a ping of roughly 1000ms and download speed of 1000kbps. Shocking!!

I thought all that nonesense about dropped speeds after 7.00pm had been sorted by Sky:confused:. Hope they're not going back on their word.:(. Mine has been up around 16/17 mbps d/l since they sorted it last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Vert73

Anybody know if sky will be offering the fibre broadband eircom are rolling out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I will be giving Sky an ultimatum tomorrow to stop throttling me or I will be moving back to Eircom, I will take them to the Small Claims Court if I have to, I already defeated Three last year over their diabolical service and will do the same to Sky, 1mb from 6pm to 12midnight is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Stinicker wrote: »
    I will be giving Sky an ultimatum tomorrow to stop throttling me or I will be moving back to Eircom, I will take them to the Small Claims Court if I have to, I already defeated Three last year over their diabolical service and will do the same to Sky, 1mb from 6pm to 12midnight is a disgrace.

That's not throttling, that's high contention. Throttling can happen at any hour of the day.

Stinicker wrote: »

Didi you try having a go at them in their support forum http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/ROI-Broadband-Talk/bd-p/ROIbroadbandtalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

Didi you try having a go at them in their support forum http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/ROI-Broadband-Talk/bd-p/ROIbroadbandtalk?

Whoever is running that forum seem to be non existent. I started a thread 2 days ago asking if someone could help with my connection problems and still no reply.

DupsTheKid wrote: »
    Whoever is running that forum seem to be non existent. I started a thread 2 days ago asking if someone could help with my connection problems and still no reply.

Yea, they seem to go awol every no & then. Only way is to persevere. If no satisfaction, send an email yo jeremy.darroch@ bskyb.com. He is/was the top dog.

• Advertisement

That's not throttling, that's high contention. Throttling can happen at any hour of the day.

I agree it could be that but it could be throttling too . I have been throttled before and alot by my previous service provider . I Know I was being throttled because every time I did a ping test my line was given a grade of A . So I would suggest doing a few ping tests over a various number of hours and if it keeps telling you that you have a grade A line then you are being throttled .

Cavan to Dublin Pingtest .
    81343774.png

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

emailed sky today to see how much it would cost to cancel contract.
    When they contact me I'll say it's down to efibre in my area, I want faster speeds. I'll let you know what they say.
    I can't see Sky too bothered by efibre as anyone who signed up will be in contract till 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 daithicam

Anyone know when sky will be given access to the eircom fibre backbone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

how much are u paying a month for sky broadband??

i got on the trial for sky broadband and am paying only 10euro a month
    but only getting 4mb download,iam in a n area that has efiber and am loooking to switch just woundering how much it would cost me to break the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

I got the €17.50 pm deal with phone calls.
    I'm getting 1.2mb dl speeds. I was getting 0.8mb with eircom

10 euro a month for me:

30t17hz.png

daithicam wrote: »
    Anyone know when sky will be given access to the eircom fibre backbone?

My guess is that Sky will bide their time & let the dust settle. They certainly have the punch to shake up Eircom when they make their move. When Sky issue an install order you can be sure that Eircom techies will jump smartly to the task. Sky will have to be ultra competitive price-wise as thats the only way they will get market share. This will also be a good time for Sky to offer competitive bundle prices, as, quite frankly, their tv prices are a rip-off compared to UK:(.

My guess is that Sky will bide their time & let the dust settle. They certainly have the punch to shake up Eircom when they make their move. When Sky issue an install order you can be sure that Eircom techies will jump smartly to the task. Sky will have to be ultra competitive price-wise as thats the only way they will get market share. This will also be a good time for Sky to offer competitive bundle prices, as, quite frankly, their tv prices are a rip-off compared to UK:(.

With Sky using Eircoms lines it will be very hard to offer competitive bundles because of the €25 a month line rental fee . They should drop the cost of line rental because its one of the highest in the world and the majority of people in this country are getting a pretty poor service for the money . When you see people saying they are only gettin 1 megabit broadband in this day and age it is a joke .

• Registered Users Posts: 28 adrianm68

I am thinking of sticking with 3 for my broadband requirements. I am getting about 5mb/sec, which is not too bad out here in the countryside. Eircom did a test on the line and told me I could get around 10mb/sec, but it sounds from the comments here that it might suffer from contention/throttling issues (should I choose sky). Also I don't like the idea of committing to a 12 month contract.

According to the Eircom site, fiber is not planned for my area anytime soon.

Three has a bill-pay package for 60gb pm for 32e. I don't get a phone line but I do get a totally portable internet service. The only other issue is finding a way to connect the Three wan to my router........

adrian

• Advertisement

adrianm68 wrote: »
    I am thinking of sticking with 3 for my broadband requirements. I am getting about 5mb/sec, which is not too bad out here in the countryside. Eircom did a test on the line and told me I could get around 10mb/sec, but it sounds from the comments here that it might suffer from contention/throttling issues (should I choose sky). Also I don't like the idea of committing to a 12 month contract.

According to the Eircom site, fiber is not planned for my area anytime soon.

Three has a bill-pay package for 60gb pm for 32e. I don't get a phone line but I do get a totally portable internet service. The only other issue is finding a way to connect the Three wan to my router........

adrian

If you don't get the speeds you were promised, they'll let you out of the contract. It's worth a go.

If you don't get the speeds you were promised, they'll let you out of the contract. It's worth a go.

I didn't know that. thanks!

adrianm68 wrote: »
    I didn't know that. thanks!

I know it's a long thread, but others on here have had the contracts let go because not getting the promised speeds is a breach of contract.

if you break the contract with sky how do they go about charging you?
    do they take the number of months left and X by what you pay a month for you broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm going to see about going back to Vodafone. This is sh!te.

2722889407.png

I had a consistent 3mb with VF BTW.

• Advertisement

2722897258.png

I would give them a ring , thats my line right now . I think your service is un-acceptable .

2722889407.png
    Thats pretty awful. My evening speeds have improved gradually over the last two weeks.

2722939466.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Given the fact that this thread has gone all quiet recently, are ppl now happier with Sky BB speeds? I am jumping ship from another provider so I hope I don't have the speed problems raved about in earlier posts. Fingers crossed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

My speeds have improved, but the stability has gone horrendous! It used to be slow and stable and now its fast and cuts out about 4 times a day!

has any one heard from them about offering fibre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

naughto wrote: »
    has any one heard from them about offering fibre?

nope , still no news ...
    I've mail their CS , pending feedback.

Hope they come back with better news than last time ' Sorry, we've no plans but maybe in the future '

When you guys signed up to Sky, did they mention you could cancel after 9 months, or within 9 months of signing up? I remember something like that.

I feel sorry for those on Sky who've had the exchanges upgraded recently, however, that might be me in July. The fiber is in the ground, but no sign of cabinet installation yet.

Don't sign up!! It's the worst bb I've ever experienced. Shocking ping times and extremely unstable. I regularly tether my phone to the laptop because its much better,especially in the evenings.

iv had no problem with them they said my line can only take 5mb and thats what i get no matter what time of the day.with fiber out id like to know if there going to go down this line.iam only paying 10euro a month,which is nothing.i will give it another while and see what sky do if there still no word ill jump ship to vodafone or eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have an email saying they can't give me what was promised but things have improved a bit.
    Still Loose connection most nights but for a tenner I'll live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Got a reply from their CS Team

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.
    I can confirm that Sky intend to provide fibre Broadband as soon as possible. To ensure the best quality service, trialing for a fibre service is due to start imminently.
    A website for people to register their interest in fibre will be available soon.

Don't sign up!! It's the worst bb I've ever experienced. Shocking ping times and extremely unstable. I regularly tether my phone to the laptop because its much better,especially in the evenings.

Well you have'nt much experience with bb so:D. Back in the day when I was with Eircom, I could only get 0.5mbps. Was paying £60 for the privelidge. Jumped ship to BT & got 3mbps for €45.00. Then on to Voda who gave me 5+ mbps for €40.00. Now have Sky & getting 16+mbps consistantly. Can't see myself ever going back to Eircom, no matter how good their offer is. And I'm only 400m from the exchange.:)

Well you have'nt much experience with bb so:D. Back in the day when I was with Eircom, I could only get 0.5mbps. Was paying £60 for the privelidge. Jumped ship to BT & got 3mbps for €45.00. Then on to Voda who gave me 5+ mbps for €40.00. Now have Sky & getting 16+mbps consistantly. Can't see myself ever going back to Eircom, no matter how good their offer is. And I'm only 400m from the exchange.:)

I've had bb since 2005 from various providers. Sky has been the worst.

I've had bb since 2005 from various providers. Sky has been the worst.

Same here.

I have sky bb now for about 10 weeks.they said my line would support 15 megs and for the first month I was getting about 12 which was great.then suddenly my speeds plummeted in the evenings to below one meg which of course was abysmal.after a couple of phone calls and emails to customer support this was resolved after a long 2 weeks and ever since my sky bb has been quick for my line capabilities and reliable.i hope they do offer fibre coz if they don't I will move to someone who does when my contract is up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

So after a week of complaining to sky last week about the obvious contention on my line they told me I had a line fault and were then blaming Eircom for the speed drops between 6pm to midnight. I am getting 7mb in the day which then drops to 2.5 - 1mb in the evening, Sky's attempt to fix it was to then to drop my profile from 7 to 6mb which failed and then they said there was a line fault and reported it to Eircom.

I had an Eircom engineer out this morning, line testing perfect from the exchange and no internal faults, Ball is back in Sky's court now as they obviously have not got enough backhaul in the Exchange (bitstream product). Woeful customer service and are coming quite close to Three on my list of the worst companies to have dealt with now. I think I will push them to get out of contract and move to Vodafone which is a pity as I am on a 12month contract @ €27.50/month as one of the pre-launch trial customers from January and it is really good value except it is like having dial-up in the evenings. Pay peanuts get monkeys go figure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

How funny this.

Have been having fun with my speed over that last few day. My promised speed was 12M. Speed at hub 10M Actual 8.5M.

Speeds have been constant day and night. Last few days, daytime ok, evening time horrid. ~Down to 3.5M and at times, you tube has to reconnect a number of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

I've been onto Sky about switching to them for BB. We have tv with Sky and Internet with UPC so financially it makes sense to go to Sky for both. We had Eircom before and the line still exists into the house, however the guy on the phone from Sky told me that BB is not available in my area (just outside waterford city centre). Is he wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

ratedR wrote: »
    I've been onto Sky about switching to them for BB. We have tv with Sky and Internet with UPC so financially it makes sense to go to Sky for both. We had Eircom before and the line still exists into the house, however the guy on the phone from Sky told me that BB is not available in my area (just outside waterford city centre). Is he wrong ?

Are you nuts?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

7upfree wrote: »
    Are you nuts?:D

Is it that bad ?

As i said, it'll be a lot cheaper..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Is it that bad ?

Look at the posters above. Peanuts, etc.

Don't do it. I started this reply at 7:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Is it that bad ?

I suppose it depends who you talk to.
    I live just on the edge of a small town in a rural area & I have no problem with Sky.
    My line can only take 3Mb & I'm getting 2.60Mb since I signed up in January.
    It never varies day or night.
    Its the fastest I've ever had from any provider & I've had a few.
    It does break down every so often but its an Eircom exchange & its always been like that.

The best thing to do is speak to anyone in your area who might have Sky & see what they think.
    Some people think Sky are fine & some people have nothing but trouble from them.

I live in Kilmacow and have been told by sky that I can get BB as soon as Eircom tell them my telephone line is 'inactive' whatever that means. So far its taken 2 weeks for these two companies to communicate.

I'm not sure if I will go with Sky after all the negative comments on this board. Surely it has to be faster than my 3 dongle, right? I'm getting a couple of Mbit/sec with 3.

What sort of deal are your getting with UPC? Perhaps they are an alternate option for me since I don't use Sky TV.

Good luck.

Adrian

• Advertisement

Hey I have sky for a couple months now.i had problems with my speed and they sorted it and its been good since.a lot steadier than eircom which I had

Advertisement