Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Draught Inspection prep

Options
  • 17-10-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Does anyone know anyone who takes in irish draughts to prep & bring to their inspections? My mare will need to be inspected next Spring and dont know If Ill have the time to prepare & bring her myself. Somewhere near Wicklow/Dublin would be ideal but open to hearing about others

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Monkaa wrote: »
    Does anyone know anyone who takes in irish draughts to prep & bring to their inspections? My mare will need to be inspected next Spring and dont know If Ill have the time to prepare & bring her myself. Somewhere near Wicklow/Dublin would be ideal but open to hearing about others

Has she done nothing at all? She only really needs to know how to stand up properly, walk and trot up in hand and loose school. I wouldn't worry too much about the loose jumping. That's hard to get.

I was able to manage to train my mare up with a few minutes work every day, but she had been well handled to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

fits wrote: »
    Has she done nothing at all? She only really needs to know how to stand up properly, walk and trot up in hand and loose school. I wouldn't worry too much about the loose jumping. That's hard to get.

I was able to manage to train my mare up with a few minutes work every day, but she had been well handled to begin with.

I agree... There's no magic involved. A few minutes every evening for a week or so to have her walk and trot with manners is sufficient. If you want to have her loose-jumping assessed, the grid is available so you can set it up for her and practice in advance. PM me if you can't find it on HSI / IDHS website.

:)

Was there any report on how many mares got Class 1 and jumping merits this year? I never saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Was there any report on how many mares got Class 1 and jumping merits this year? I never saw one.

Didn't see one and didn't go looking..... No help, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

ah she has, Ive showed her in hand at a few shows but Id love to try & get the bronze merit for jumping if I could. I just want her to get max points as possible & feel that someone with better experience than me will do a better job.

• Advertisement

ah she has, Ive showed her in hand at a few shows but Id love to try & get the bronze merit for jumping if I could. I just want her to get max points as possible & feel that someone with better experience than me will do a better job.

ah sure you're flying so. It would be handy to get the jumping merit at inspection but I really wouldn't sweat too much about it... Anyone who prepares horses for sales would do it if you're determined.. What's her breeding like?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Shes by Offaly Clover and out of a Holycross mare

I want her to be as proven as possible before I breed from her, she will be my foundation mare so this is all new to me. My aim if all goes well is to get a silver merit eventually from jumping but we'll see how the next couple years pan out :) she has to get class 1 first!!

Shes by Offaly Clover and out of a Holycross mare

I want her to be as proven as possible before I breed from her, she will be my foundation mare so this is all new to me. My aim if all goes well is to get a silver merit eventually from jumping but we'll see how the next couple years pan out :) she has to get class 1 first!!

You're almost in same boat as me so :). I bought my mare last November as a two year old and she got class one in spring but no jumping merit ( too busy looking around her!). I always wanted an ID mare to breed traditional draughts and sport horses from. We showed a bit over the summer, however my personal circumstances have taken a huge change in direction so she's neither being ridden or in foal at the moment.

Advertisement