Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Payment/Vat/Invoices - Hassle

• 17-10-2012 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Earlier this year I landed a job with a photography studio. I was told I wouldn't be earning an hourly rate, but that any sales I made, Photoshoots I arranged/performed etc I would take a large portion of the fee. Given that I was employed weekends only, I had time to use - especially given as it was in pursuit of a career I wanted to get involved in.

Four months later, after countless shoots, hours of work and travel expenses, I began chasing the company for the paltry sum of €250. This is less than 37% of what I made the company personally during this time (excluding sales, being present on the shopfloor all day - and being one of four photographers for a festival which netted at least €800 for the company. Oh and securing them the use of clothes when needed for an upmarket Dublin boutique). Add to this I showed the owner how to track how his images were being used, which netted him 4k when we sent out invoices.

Anyway, they said they'd only give me €150. I fought my case and they've agreed to the €250. Aren't they nice. I'd like to point out that they're not strapped for cash. They've been buying equipment left right and centre. At this stage I just want the money.

Now they want me to send an invoice. It has been 175 days since I asked for this money. My question is can they keep me waiting ANOTHER 90 days before they pay the cash. Also do I include VAT on the invoice if I don't want to pay the VAT myself.

Hope someone can help.

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

No need for VAT on the invoice as you presumably don't earn over the Thresholds from photography.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/registration/thresholds.html

Just raise invoice with payment terms of 14 days.

You'll probably end up chasing it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Yeah, I'm nowhere near the threshold at this stage of the year. Brilliant, thanks.

And with regards to the 14days, do you mean just state that or raise the fee after 14 days. I'm confused on that point, but I imagine you mean the former?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Overall, they seem like as useful as a sack of sh** :mad:
    mehfesto wrote: »
    Now they want me to send an invoice. It has been 175 days since I asked for this money. My question is can they keep me waiting ANOTHER 90 days before they pay the cash. Also do I include VAT on the invoice if I don't want to pay the VAT myself.

Eyeblinks is correct. Only charge VAT if you are registered for it. I'd be slightly concerned that from what you say (they being slithery snake like characters), that they may be attempting to put you in a position where they have a VAT inclusive figure of €250 which then means you'd lose a fifth of it if that were the case and they'd offset/claim back that amount off their VAT liability.

Them requiring an invoice is reasonable, albeit they didn't have to wait 175 freekin days to tell you that small detail :mad:

Generate a standard invoice, for services rendered, no VAT included, and give a standard waiting time (which by the way is entirely up to you, but 14 or 28 days would not be unusual) - this is your terms of credit. Also, to head off the query as to why VAT isn't present, you could make a point on the invoice that no VAT is due.

I also fear that they may delay on the payment of it, so i'd be prepared for a fight if they don't respond (in a legal/formal sense) and i'd opt for either 14 or 21 days maybe at most. Bah, go for 14 as they aren't being at all decent with you.

Sorry for your trouble.

Just state at the bottom

"payment terms 14 days from date of invoice"

You have a right to interest for payment after that date and if you wish you could put it on the invoice. In practise it's rarely paid though.

Focus on getting the €250 and move on from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

like a lot of people trying to start out and gain experience you have well and truely been taken advantage of.

Simply create an invoice for photography services - as other have said - if you are not registered dont charge VAT and include payment terms/conditions.

ie. payment by cheque or bank transfer to "Mehfesto" ... address or bank details include sort code/IBAN/Swift code etc within 15 working days or three(3) calendar weeks....or specify a date .....payment to be made by 21st November 2012 or will be subject to interest and/or penalties.

it is annoying when someone does not pay up straight away - I once had to wait 3months for €3K from one paper (and it was going up by €3K a month ...so by the end of the 3 months they owed me €9K), another paper took 9months to pay me a couple of hundred....you could always go into the studio and tell them you are refusing to move until you receive the money owed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Welcome back PC!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

if your not registered vat, you simply dont mention vat at all

my invoices actually say payment by return on them

i basically dont give credit, you will get a feel for who you can give credit to over time

i wouldnt be suprised if the asking for an invoice is another reason to dealy

make sure the invoice has everything on it, do you have in writing who agreed to pay you and how much etc? this should be on the invoice ie

invoice for work from x to y, price agreed on x date by person a by email etc

that way they have no reason to say hey thats not was agreed etc etc

stcstc wrote: »
    do you have in writing who agreed to pay you and how much etc? this should be on the invoice ie

invoice for work from x to y, price agreed on x date by person a by email etc

that way they have no reason to say hey thats not was agreed etc etc

That's the one thing I got. After I realised I wasn't gonna get anything, I've kept every e-mail and text that was sent from them, so at least there's that!

I've just sent it off, marking it to be paid within 14 days. Can't see them paying by then, but they will be paying! The missus brother-in-law said he'll give me a hand if required. He's a solicitor that works in copyright amongst many other things! Feeling better about the whole thing now!

Thanks for all the help, guy and gals!

And don't be mad doing that amount of work for €250. That should be an hourly rate. :rolleyes:

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    And don't be mad doing that amount of work for €250. That should be an hourly rate. :rolleyes:

There *should've* been. But that was my fault!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use paypal to send out invoices for immediate payment, worked in all the cases I have used it for.

I didnt give credit at all and held back images when requesting payment (I know you cant do this) You live and learn from these experiences :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Is it who I think it is Mehfisto?

humberklog wrote: »
    Is it who I think it is Mehfisto?

It is. But sure you were telling me from the start to be wary. I'll letcha know how I get on!

Advertisement