Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Bake Before OR After Freezing

Options
  • 17-10-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I want to prepare a little finger food for an event a month or so down the road. I'm talking Scones: Plain, Fruit and Savory. I'm also thinking of home made sausage rolls.

Here's the question is it best to cook the above first and then freeze, or is it best to just prepare the food, freeze and cook when needed? I will have plenty of time to do the defrost.

My thinking is to just make the sausage rolls, freeze before cooking and cook when required. If going down this road should I defrost or cook from frozen, Ill be using shop bought puff pastry. Delia does a flaky pastry (Delia) but I'm thinking that a pre-rolled puff pastry would be much handier and possibly tastier.

However,I'm not to sure about the scones. Cook first, defrost, and micro? Half cook, pop into a hot cooker for ten minutes or thereabouts?

Tell me what you would do? Oh yes and many thanks in advance.

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Scones, bake first, freeze and then into the oven to defrost and warm.

Sausage rolls, I'm not sure. But make sure they're properly defrosted either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I would bake the scones and do as mmcn90 said.

The sausage rolls I would freeze before baking.
    I've made finger food like this before and it works well. Cook in a hot oven from frozen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

I would bake the scones and do as mmcn90 said.

The sausage rolls I would freeze before baking. .

Would you defrost after taking them out of the freezer or would you just put them straight into a hot oven, say 200. Times?

Kevin

I'd put them in a hot oven from frozen too. 200°C for maybe 10 minutes. Take them out and put on a cooling rack. In the event that they were not totally heated up throughout, the heat will be distributed into the scones more evenly from the moment they get out of the oven, without drying out or browning too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

As above, scones are great to freeze, we make them for the school lunches every weekend, I take them out in the mourning, place on wire rack, and they will defrost in about an hour, as good as when they were baked,( I don't reheat them as need to butter and jam them) I freeze unbaked sausage rolls in single layers till frozen, pastry keeps it shape, then packed into box,cook from frozen preheat oven to 220c , brush with beaten egg, as I make large ones they take about 30 mins, cool on wire rack.

• Advertisement

Yes, freeze in a single layer before puuting them all together in a freezer bag. If not they'll stick together and ice crystals may form between them.

I guess with the scones it depends on whether you want to serve them warm or cold. If cold, you can just defrost them on the kitchen counter, like sdp said :)

Advertisement