Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning Curve Assignment #3 Water/Oil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

here's my first attempts... took a while to figure it out and have had to crop the original pics, a macro lens would defo be of benefit here!!! But it was fun trying it out and i'm pleased with my results given its my first attempt :D

8100865633_e4c4d69b7d.jpg
    Groovy Man 1 by misemefein22, on Flickr

8100878298_9ab1b1e975.jpg
    Groovy Man 2 by misemefein22, on Flickr

8100871305_2e5ebf9989.jpg
    Groovy Man 3 by misemefein22, on Flickr

this is my favourite, love the colours

8100873553_f60b48cec2.jpg
    Groovy Man 4 by misemefein22, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

kassie wrote: »
    here's my first attempts... took a while to figure it out and have had to crop the original pics, a macro lens would defo be of benefit here!!! But it was fun trying it out and i'm pleased with my results given its my first attempt :D

They look great. I will have to try this out, but I don't have a tripod that lets me
    shoot straight down :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

C40C2E0A2E4142F2AA472FD91A3A560B-0000339441-0003051698-00800L-FE2C85D4BD6B4A469BD4FAE168AC2702.jpg

I used an extension tube to get a bit more macro scale. As my tubes are cheap I lose auto focus and then I had real difficulty trying to get a decent shot with the camera mounted on the tripod. After 10 fruitless minutes I remembered that I'm using the flash and shooting at 1/250 so the tripod is pretty redundant.
    Went handheld and began to get some keepers.
    To get a bit more depth I doubled up my water/oil layers. I used a pyrex cassarole bowl and lid stacked on top of each other with oil/water and a splash of food colouring in each, elivated off the table on a couple of boxes and the flash underneath softened under a bit of material. I ran out of nice dark walnut oil though and all the other oils in the house aere very light coloured. Need more contrast.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Nice one, I might give this a go this evening. I'm pretty sure I have a Pyrex bowl/lid set in the press somewhere.

I shud add I didn't use a tripod either!! Nd a used CDs for background colour, I used a cream bread bin with a clear dish on top and a desk light in the bread bin with a cd! I used sunflower oil tried adding red food colouring but it didn't work for me

• Advertisement

My attempts:

I love the swirls in the First one, and my head and camera reflected in the second one.

I got the third one by dropping some Balsamic Vinegar into the Olive Oil.

Like was mentioned already, the lack of contrast between the Olive Oil and the water made it difficult to get focus lock. Darker Oil would work better.

8118725316_65c3fe84b7.jpg
    WaterAndOil1 by GarethOBrien, on Flickr

8118713683_5a10dfc295.jpg
    WaterAndOil2 by GarethOBrien, on Flickr

8118729034_090a881f3d.jpg
    WaterAndOil3 by GarethOBrien, on Flickr

great to see a few of us attempting this! :) i just might give it another go some evening!

am still trying to play around with the depth of field assignment LOL i won't let it get the better of me >:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Couple of things I've learned doing this:

- Light the coloured background directly, not the oil/water.
    - Agitate/stir the mix as little as possible to avoid air bubbles.
    - Ideally you'd want to use a macro lens.

Advertisement