Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fondant Fancies..putting the icing on?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of you I was watching the great British bake off (still think Brendan should of won..) anyhoo just wondering what it the correct way to apply the fondant onto the french fancies without it looking a mess?

I know some of it on the show was to do with the buttercream not being smooth enough (I also think vanilla would of been a lot nicer than rosewater..what's with all the rosewater on that show, I've yet to taste anything nice with rosewater in).
    But is there a knack to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I don't actually know the best way to put the fondant on but was looking for the recipe for the fondant? I can only ever find instructions to buy a packet of fondant. Tried Tweeting the GBBO but no replies so the search goes on.

Edited to add, I reckon it might be a bit like making cake pops and the trick is to chill them first before dipping in the fondant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Found the recipe I guess it's a matter of skill and a bit of luck that they don't fall apart, you're right about the fridge bit, not sure they put there's in the fridge on the bake off http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fondant_fancies_88368

Might try these next week.

..The recipe calls for white fondant icing..what is that is it just thick regular icing made with icing sugar?

Found the recipe I guess it's a matter of skill and a bit of luck that they don't fall apart, you're right about the fridge bit, not sure they put there's in the fridge on the bake off http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fondant_fancies_88368

Might try these next week.

..The recipe calls for white fondant icing..what is that is it just thick regular icing made with icing sugar?

See I'm confused as well, when I clicked on the description of the fondant it says you can use it to mould or use it warm for dipping. Still no recipe. :confused:

I'm going to cake decorating class this evening so I'm gonna ask the instructor. If I get a definitive answer I'll post it here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Aldi often sell fondant icing sugar, you mix it with water same as you would make glace icing with icing sugar and water but it is much more opaque. I also find it works much better if you make it over hot water, it gets thinner which makes it easier to pour over easily but then sets much better, this works as well for glace icing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

http://cakejournal.com/tutorials/petit-fours/

this shows a way of covering the fancies : )

That's the way I would have done it, it also mentions heating the icing as well which I would have thought would be the way to go.

They did have the disadvantage of very fresh cake though, it would much easier do these if the cake was a day old or let firm up in the fridge or freezer briefly. The cake in the cake journal pictures is a very firm looking dense textured cake which will hold it's shape better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I would chill the cakes and pour the icing over them on a wire rack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The Bake Off Master Class is on BBC2 tomorrow night 7pm so hopefully we will see if they make the fondant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

Bake off master class now on BBC 2. They will be doing the Fondant Fancies tonight

• Advertisement

rockwell wrote: »
    Bake off master class now on BBC 2. They will be doing the Fondant Fancies tonight

Damn missed it again. At cake decorating class. Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ditto, I went and missed the fondant one, flippin Emmerdale was on and I got distracted. Watched tonight though..just about..hopefully it'll all be repeated or someone will put it on youtube eventually so not fair we can't watch it on BBC playback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

You can watch it online/download episodes.

You can watch it online/download episodes.

Really? Don't you have to be in the UK to view on BBC player?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Mary put the pre-packed block of fondant (chopped into smaller pieces) into her kitchen aid and beat it, adding water till it arrived at the consistency she wanted, added her flavouring and colouring, then she chilled the cakes and stuck a fork in at an angle and dipped into the fondant!

Oh the recipe is online http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fondant_fancies_88368

I still think it should have been heated slightly to make it easier to dip them.

The consistency of the fondant when she was pouring it from the mixer bowl into smaller bowl for dipping was thicker than it was when she actually dipped them. Bit of editing there I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

phormium wrote: »
    Bit of editing there I would say.

Totally agree. The sponge cakes themselves looked frozen when she skewered them with the fork, looked no better than the attempt the contestants made!

There's probably more clever editing that we will ever know about! I watched Lorraine Pascale make a swiss roll once. I knew from the beginning as she made the filling it would not be enough. It wasn't, she spread it so thinly it was funny to watch her pretend there was nothing wrong. Next shot - tons of filling!! :rolleyes: Give me strength!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Lorraine Pascale's show is a general pain in that way - all shiny intros and funky music, very very little substance or innovation! She bakes a miserable looking sponge and you'd swear she's invented the concept of cake!

Eviledna wrote: »
    Lorraine Pascale's show is a general pain in that way - all shiny intros and funky music, very very little substance or innovation! She bakes a miserable looking sponge and you'd swear she's invented the concept of cake!

100% agree with you there. Bring back Delia or Darina!! Actually I'd even go so far as to say bring back Monica Sheridan, she was a plain speaker. Heard a snip of her on a TV look-back programme recently and she was looking at a turkey saying 'that's the worst turkey I've ever seen. It's purple!! Priceless!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm all for bringing back Delia - I think I use her website more than any other for recipes.
    Her all-in-one sponge and pavlova recipes never fail.

Advertisement