Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The silent poverty class

• 17-10-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

An article in the Irish Times today saying that someone on 65K is in poverty. This is because the mortgage is almost €1,400.

If someone is on 65K and that is the only family income, they are taking home what - close to 3K a month. So they have 1,600 after mortgage repayment.

Is that poverty?

They are saying things like we can't afford the 20 euro payment for parties the children go to. But I would never spend 20 euro on a child's birthday present. Even if I was on 100K a year. More like a fiver.

Call me a cynic but I am wondering are these people setting their expectations way too high - expecting the Celtic tiger lifestyle!

Obviously not because MABS are telling them things are tough. But they say they are still paying into a Pension. I stopped mine the last year.

A lot of people don't even have one.

Not nice but hardly poverty.

Discuss....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

EDIT: longer article here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1017/1224325338822.html?via=mr

Discuss....

circumstances are everything - wife and 3 kid dependents vs single etc

the article says MABS indicate they have very little disposable income

€400 a week for 5 people
    food
    heating and elec
    running a car
    etc

take the mortgage cost out of the 36k take home and you get about 20k per annum for a family of 5.......probably little difference to a family on welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

What is wrong with washing the dishes by hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

steve9859 wrote: »
    What is wrong with washing the dishes by hand?

It's actually 75K if you include allowances. That's over 4K take home pay if only one person is working. 2.5K left after mortgage. And 3 kids means about 500 on child benefit. Meaning 3K for the 6 of them.
    Hardly poverty. And as previous poster says who cares if the Dishwasher is broken.

I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

It is not so much poverty as this is what is known as the coping class. Two income families on low middle incomes or single icome families. It is not so much poverty as (and even at higher income) these invidulas have been squeezed. The recieve little or no support from the state other than CA pay a moderate amount of tax and any extra income is now taxes at 52%. They will be expected to pick up property tax and water rates in the near future. They pay all there own medical bill no medical card etc.

Over the last few years they have been forced to give up medical insurance, TV subscriptions, landline telephones, ESB and Oil/Gass bill have become an issue for them. Theymay not be able to replace car or go on holidays and it is starting to affect there ability to stay in the workforce.

Yes MABS and other definications of poverty would sometimes get your back up however it is there disposable income after work and general family costs is often very littleand they are under sever finiancial pressure.

It is not so much poverty as this is what is known as the coping class. Two income families on low middle incomes or single icome families. It is not so much poverty as (and even at higher income) these invidulas have been squeezed. The recieve little or no support from the state other than CA pay a moderate amount of tax and any extra income is now taxes at 52%. They will be expected to pick up property tax and water rates in the near future. They pay all there own medical bill no medical card etc.

Over the last few years they have been forced to give up medical insurance, TV subscriptions, landline telephones, ESB and Oil/Gass bill have become an issue for them. Theymay not be able to replace car or go on holidays and it is starting to affect there ability to stay in the workforce.

Yes MABS and other definications of poverty would sometimes get your back up however it is there disposable income after work and general family costs is often very littleand they are under sever finiancial pressure.

She is claiming poverty , can't pay bills and is off to the St Vincent De Paul because she has days where she eats corn flakes (it would probably be cheaper to just eat spuds).

If it was not for MABS agreeing with her I would this is a case of Public Sector whinging.

1,400 is a low mortgage for a house bought in boom (many are well over 2.5K). There people who think that poverty is when you can't pay 20 for other kids presents and there are people who think - get real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

The story just does not add up. There must be something we're not being told cos the information given clearly does not add up to poverty. Daft article.

McTigs wrote: »
    The story just does not add up. There must be something we're not being told cos the information given clearly does not add up to poverty. Daft article.

Yeah KAthy Sheridan is usually a good journo. Crap article this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

She is claiming poverty , can't pay bills and is off to the St Vincent De Paul because she has days where she eats corn flakes (it would probably be cheaper to just eat spuds).

If it was not for MABS agreeing with her I would this is a case of Public Sector whinging.

1,400 is a low mortgage for a house bought in boom (many are well over 2.5K). There people who think that poverty is when you can't pay 20 for other kids presents and there are people who think - get real.

I am not commenting on the the guards wife story I am rather replying to the OP's initial post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The point of the article was fine:
    "Income is no longer a reliable measure of wealth, means testing is defunct"

However, the article was an absolute shambles.
    I have less sympathy for that couple by article's end, than at at the beginning.

The salient point I took from the article is that the Gardaí are atrocious at money management and have excessive expectations.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    The point of the article was fine:
    "Income is no longer a reliable measure of wealth, means testing is defunct"

However, the article was an absolute shambles.
    I have less sympathy for that couple by article's end, than at at the beginning.

The salient point I took from the article is that the Gardaí are atrocious at money management and have excessive expectations.

Sloppy journalism as well. I doubt many journo's are making 75K a year so surely they should be thinking....

And I just bought a house 3 bed semi. Price 265. Mortgage 235. Which is a repayment of almost 1,400 a month. I don't give 20 euros for birthday presents - maybe a fiver.

So, I don't see 1,400 as something that belonged to the Tiger.
    In fact it's cheap for the boom. Journo never picked up on that either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They are saying things like we can't afford the 20 euro payment for parties the children go to. But I would never spend 20 euro on a child's birthday present. Even if I was on 100K a year. More like a fiver.

Ignoring the article for a moment, but remind me not to send you an invite to my babies party :P
    But seriously, what kinf of present could you get for a fiver that wont be in the bin by the time the cake is cut?

And on a more serious note, 65k, even by PS standards is a good wage, its more than what me and my GF earn put together so i'd be happy with that, but i also agree that there are many many variables in each household also.

kceire wrote: »
    Ignoring the article for a moment, but remind me not to send you an invite to my babies party :P
    But seriously, what kinf of present could you get for a fiver that wont be in the bin by the time the cake is cut?
    Just a little book or a Football. If its our party we usually say no presents as we have a lot of friends in neg equity and having them there means way more. Most presents for 20 will be in the bin as well.

This is ridiculous celtic tiger crap - which I was never into. You'd swear someone will be giving out that they can't afford to have a 30K wedding next or can't go their friend weddings in Italy - and going off to ask the SVP for money.

And on a more serious note, 65k, even by PS standards is a good wage, its more than what me and my GF earn put together so i'd be happy with that, but i also agree that there are many many variables in each household also.
    It's 75K. The IT has lowered its standards.

I've been thinking about this for a bit, since I read the article a bit earlier today. 65k from one income minus a mortgage basically leaves them as well off as if they were both on the dole and residing in social housing. I understand both points of view - that they aren't exactly poor, but there is very little to no 'extra' money if you are in this situation. Essentially, you're just about surviving.

The question that intrigues me the most, is on the issue of whether it's fair that a family with at least one decent job should end up with the same as a family with none at the end of the month.

It just seems at this point, that the prolonged effects of this recession in Ireland - particularly the financial ties that many people now have to boom-price property - are leading us into an era of general poorness again. I don't mean that we'll all be starving, but I remember growing up in the 80's/early 90's there was a similar prevailing poorness where middle-income families just didn't really have the money to support the type of lifestyle we became accustomed to during the Tiger years.

****ed, so we are.

edit: P.s. 5 euro for a child's present? We're not quite that poor just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this for a bit, since I read the article a bit earlier today. 65k from one income minus a mortgage basically leaves them as well off as if they were both on the dole and residing in social housing. I understand both points of view - that they aren't exactly poor, but there is very little to no 'extra' money if you are in this situation. Essentially, you're just about surviving.

The question that intrigues me the most, is on the issue of whether it's fair that a family with at least one decent job should end up with the same as a family with none at the end of the month.

It just seems at this point, that the prolonged effects of this recession in Ireland - particularly the financial ties that many people now have to boom-price property - are leading us into an era of general poorness again. I don't mean that we'll all be starving, but I remember growing up in the 80's/early 90's there was a similar prevailing poorness where middle-income families just didn't really have the money to support the type of lifestyle we became accustomed to during the Tiger years.

****ed, so we are.

Because we can't afford Tiger-era lifestyles...? Please tell me that's sarcasm!

concerned,
    Scofflaw

If someone is in poverty for mortgage of 1.4K a month when they have an income of 75K - then we are saying that you need one person to be earning 95 - 100K, or two people to be earning 130K. Because if the second person is working and you have two children, you'll need to be earning at least 130K to pay for the childcare after tax.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe they are cash strapped if they have a mortgage repayment of 4K a month.

Otherwise, they are whingers who do not realise how much of a pension they have and do not want to lower themselves to have to go to a public hospital..

edit: P.s. 5 euro for a child's present? We're not quite that poor just yet.
    What you mean that poor! This is ridiculous. You shouldn't even need to buy the kid a present. They only reason why anyone does that is because they cannot entertain the kids with their own imagination and feel the need to buy something so the kids are happy.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Because we can't afford Tiger-era lifestyles...? Please tell me that's sarcasm!

concerned,
    Scofflaw

Hah! No, I don't mean €100,000 wedding cakes. I'm talking about the general increase in discretionary income that was used to fund your usual family activities - holidays, club membership for kids, summer camps/gaeltacht; things that didn't seem as expensive a few years ago.

It was about 5-700 euro per child in College Fee's around 2003, now it's over 2k. Cash money up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yup
    188quid a week each tax free in the hand from the taxpayer works out just over 1600 a month (188*2*52/12 = 1629 a month actually!).
    Rent paid by taxpayer.
    Free medical card for you and all your kids paid by taxpayer.
    Theres back to school allowances and whatnot
    Because youre vunerable or marginalised or whatever, theres a magic pot of money for one off purchases from the social welfare office.

Earning 65grand a year and having 1600 a month after mortgage is no different cashwise from the dole except you are arguably better off as theres the other allowances and benefits that you get for not working that a working person does not get - but its you thats paying the tax to cover the benefits for someone else on the dole.

Joan Burton was on the radio there this morning and is planning to bring in book rental schemes and the likes over the coming years to try and have more benefit in kind than cash in hand which would benefit all people in need not just the (lucky?) unfortunates on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Sloppy journalism as well. I doubt many journo's are making 75K a year so surely they should be thinking....

And I just bought a house 3 bed semi. Price 265. Mortgage 235. Which is a repayment of almost 1,400 a month. I don't give 20 euros for birthday presents - maybe a fiver.

So, I don't see 1,400 as something that belonged to the Tiger.
    In fact it's cheap for the boom. Journo never picked up on that either.

There's no point in trying to compare your own mortgage repayment with another assuming that the same criteria apply. Remember their circumstance's are completely different to yours. They're 50'sh and moved house shortly before the bubble burst which means they had a house which they owned (or part owned with the bank). When they sold their old house they would no doubt have made a profit on the sale and threw that money (plus whatever quantity they had knocked off the capital of their original mortgage lump sum) toward the purchase of a new bigger home. All in all they could have bought a house worth 600 grand and still only have a mortgage repayment of 1400 quid. Oh and don't forget tracker mortgages;)
    In general I agree with you though, this article is sloppy alright. It's missing so many details about the family's income that it has left me with more questions than it answers. I just cant help but feel that they completely over extended themselves and so have nobody to blame but the transport minister:rolleyes:
    I'd say this family's biggest problem is negative equity. They cant sell their house now in return for a smaller cheaper one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Assuming what she said is true and its a big assumption and I have no sympathy! If I were in her position, corn flake days etc, especially if I had kids, Id go back to the bank, say this is what I can afford, be it 1100 or 1200 per month and thats it! what are they going to do about it? they have much bigger fish to fry...

• Advertisement

It was about 5-700 euro per child in College Fee's around 2003, now it's over 2k. Cash money up front.
    Still bloody cheap when you factor in what the actual short term cost is, long term is a different story...

keppler wrote: »
    There's no point in trying to compare your own mortgage repayment with another assuming that the same criteria apply. Remember their circumstance's are completely different to yours. They're 50'sh and moved house shortly before the bubble burst which means they had a house which they owned (or part owned with the bank). When they sold their old house they would no doubt have made a profit on the sale and threw that money (plus whatever quantity they had knocked off the capital of their original mortgage lump sum) toward the purchase of a new bigger home. All in all they could have bought a house worth 600 grand and still only have a mortgage repayment of 1400 quid. Oh and don't forget tracker mortgages;)
    In general I agree with you though, this article is sloppy alright. It's missing so many details about the family's income that it has left me with more questions than it answers. I just cant help but feel that they completely over extended themselves and so have nobody to blame but the transport minister:rolleyes:
    I'd say this family's biggest problem is negative equity. They cant sell their house now in return for a smaller cheaper one.
    The point was the article is written as if they have a killer celtic tiger mortgage and they have a normal income. The article was written that they have to worry about things they shouldn't have to worry about (how they are going to get 20 euro for the next kiddies birthday and how are they going to fix the dishwasher).

They do not have a killer celtic tiger mortgage and they have an income twice the industrial average wage. They do not need to pay 20 euro for kiddies birthday parties and they do not need to use a dishwasher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

An article in the Irish Times today saying that someone on 65K is in poverty. This is because the mortgage is almost €1,400.

If someone is on 65K and that is the only family income, they are taking home what - close to 3K a month. So they have 1,600 after mortgage repayment.

Is that poverty?

Call me a cynic but I am wondering are these people setting their expectations way too high - expecting the Celtic tiger lifestyle!

Obviously not because MABS are telling them things are tough. But they say they are still paying into a Pension. I stopped mine the last year.

A lot of people don't even have one.

Discuss....

Does a Garda have the option to stop his pension, I know public servants dont have this option so I assume members of AGS dont either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The Irish Times have now removed the comments section from that article. Freedom of speech? Only when you agree with the tone of the article apparently There were some comments before the section was removed, almost all of the commenst were sceptical about the position these people are in and most people believe we are not being told the full story.

What you mean that poor! This is ridiculous. You shouldn't even need to buy the kid a present. They only reason why anyone does that is because they cannot entertain the kids with their own imagination and feel the need to buy something so the kids are happy.

Presents nowadays are not just toys, they are learning tools that help with hand/eye cordination, memory and reactions etc

Doesnt have to be a PS3 or a gameboy FFS.
    Otherwise, they are whingers who do not realise how much of a pension they have and do not want to lower themselves to have to go to a public hospital..

What pension are you on about, i thought the article was about a working garda?

donalg1 wrote: »
    Does a Garda have the option to stop his pension, I know public servants dont have this option so I assume members of AGS dont either.

No, im 99.99% sure they have to pay the contributions and levy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Well, I hope it pushes towards a long term trend of renting not buying. I really am convinced it is more healthy for society in the long run.

The Irish Times have now removed the comments section from that article. Freedom of speech? Only when you agree with the tone of the article apparently There were some comments before the section was removed, almost all of the comments were sceptical about the position these people are in and most people believe we are not being told the full story.
    I didnt read the comments, but believe there were 110 when I glanced down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ok,
    a few posts up I mentioned they were as well off as being on the dole.

From re-examining the article and working out the numbers they MUST be doing something wrong.
    Big sky tv contract, VHI A+++ (with extras), heat on all day and night, private school fees?
    Their after tax/levies income is 3800 a month, less the relatively modest 1400 mortgage is 2400 cash in hand, plus a few untaxed childrens allowance.
    The story, i.e. sums, doesnt add up.

My sister works in starbucks part time with her husband working in a warehouse doing stock control and have a rent bill similar to that mortgage and are able to stay afloat. YES, she has no kids - but she also cuts her cloth according to measure and lives simply yet comfortably and manages a couple of foreign holidays a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

yup
    188quid a week each tax free in the hand from the taxpayer works out just over 1600 a month (188*2*52/12 = 1629 a month actually!).
    Rent paid by taxpayer.
    Free medical card for you and all your kids paid by taxpayer.
    Theres back to school allowances and whatnot
    Because youre vunerable or marginalised or whatever, theres a magic pot of money for one off purchases from the social welfare office.

Earning 65grand a year and having 1600 a month after mortgage is no different cashwise from the dole except you are arguably better off as theres the other allowances and benefits that you get for not working that a working person does not get - but its you thats paying the tax to cover the benefits for someone else on the dole.

Your not mentioning the expences of actually getting up of your hole and going to work...
    Its very easy to spend €80-€100 a week on fuel going to work... the result is then that the folks on the dole who don't travel to work are probably better off when everything is taken into account..

Simple things... so many on the dole are hanging round in trackies from one end of the week to the other where working folks have to have decent clothes... It all adds up, slowly but surely and results in people not making any money out of going to work !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I didnt read the comments, but believe there were 110 when I glanced down!

Sorry,there appears to be two articles on this in the IT. One has the comments section removed,the other is still open.My mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

5 euro for a child's present? We're not quite that poor just yet.

Without wanting to go too far off-topic: I have 3 children in national school, all of whom go to 10-15 birthday parties per year - as our American friends would say: "do the math"!
    Luckily the school has a "€5 party" system in place where all the guests give €5 in a birthday card (you can get 3 good cards for €2 in the discount shops) as a gift and the birthday boy/girl, or indeed their parents, can do what they like with the dosh. As far as I know, everyone is happy with this system - I know I sure as hell am!!

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Without wanting to go too far off-topic: I have 3 children in national school, all of whom go to 10-15 birthday parties per year - as our American friends would say: "do the math"!
    Luckily the school has a "€5 party" system in place where all the guests give €5 in a birthday card (you can get 3 good cards for €2 in the discount shops) as a gift and the birthday boy/girl, or indeed their parents, can do what they like with the dosh. As far as I know, everyone is happy with this system - I know I sure as hell am!!

I was under the impression that she would be talking about a close friend or relative's party, as opposed to one of the "10-15" your child goes to a year.

It's all subjective thanks to the poor quality of the article.

donalg1 wrote: »

AFAIK they only pay 7% in the pension levy and if they don't pay they don't get the pension. Not sure. But 75K is more than enough even allowing for 7% pension levy. They are serious celtic tiger whingers. They take home pay is still about 4K and child benefit would push it over that. The mortgage is only about a 1/3 of income after tax which is perfectly normal. They are doing well to live in such a nice house. To buy a 4 bed semi in middle class area now would cost you 350K or over. Which is way over 1,400 mortgage repayment per month. Extremely sloppy journalism.

MABS: "You're the 7th garda here"
    Rest of world: "Perhaps its time to cop on".

byronbay2 wrote: »

That's a good system and better than receiving 10-15 crappy presents that break the next day or end up gathering dust. I would rather the 10-15 €5's too, that way the child gets may e one decent present, that will work and stand the test of time and may e passed to the next child depending.

I too was under the impression that the parties involved were from close friends and family.

• Advertisement

AFAIK they only pay 7% in the pension levy and if they don't pay they don't get the pension. Not sure. But 75K is more than enough even allowing for 7% pension levy. They are serious celtic tiger whingers. They take home pay is still about 4K and child benefit would push it over that. The mortgage is only about a 1/3 of income after tax which is perfectly normal. They are doing well to live in such a nice house. To buy a 4 bed semi in middle class area now would cost you 350K or over. Which is way over 1,400 mortgage repayment per month. Extremely sloppy journalism.

MABS: "You're the 7th garda here"
    Rest of world: "Perhaps its time to cop on".

Wouldn't they also pay the actual pension contributions aswell as the levy.......just like every other PS employee.

The point was the article is written as if they have a killer celtic tiger mortgage and they have a normal income. The article was written that they have to worry about things they shouldn't have to worry about (how they are going to get 20 euro for the next kiddies birthday and how are they going to fix the dishwasher).

They do not have a killer celtic tiger mortgage and they have an income twice the industrial average wage. They do not need to pay 20 euro for kiddies birthday parties and they do not need to use a dishwasher.

Tbh Tim the only impression I got was that they were presenting the repayment as the biggest drain on their net income. In fact what I believe she was trying to say was 'hey look we didnt buy anything big and fancy in the boom, no houses in Spain no second homes to rent but yet here we are, struggling on ourmodest:D garda salary'

Again I agree that complaining about not having a dishwasher and kiddies presents are ridiculous. Obviously this family needs to get smarter with their future budgets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Using taxcalc.eu which I usually find reliable, a garda on 65k would be taking home just over € 3,400 p.m., add € 428 in child benefit and that is an aftertax income of € 3,800 approx. After their €1400 mortgage they should have €2,400 left to pay bills and run the house etc, and all the other costs that every other household in the country has. Obviously these are rough calculations. It's not enough to live the life of Reilly but I think many would envy that particular situation, especially since he has cast iron job security and a decent pension to look forward to. This article is clearly not telling the full story, key information or details of other debts / liabilities are missing. It does however highlight how even somebody on a very very good salary (65k is dreamland for most people) can struggle in the current day and age. They should be doing very nicely for themselves, but due to high cost of living and most likely p**s poor financial planning and no college saving plan they are struggling.

As for eating cornflakes and nothing else give me a break, fifty quid can go an awful long way in Lidl / Aldi, and if it came down to paying the mortgage (I don't have one as I am a renter) or feeding the kids I know what 99.9% of the population including myself would do.

keppler wrote: »
    Tbh Tim the only impression I got was that they were presenting the repayment as the biggest drain on their net income. In fact what I believe she was trying to say was 'hey look we didnt buy anything big and fancy in the boom, no houses in Spain no second homes to rent but yet here we are, struggling on ourmodest:D garda salary'

Again I agree that complaining about not having a dishwasher and kiddies presents are ridiculous. Obviously this family needs to get smarter with their future budgets

It is not a modest salary. And it is not a celtic mortgage. She is deluded writing off to politicians - moaning. How about get real. See what her hubby salary would be in other EZ countries would be a good place to start.

The article was a case of public sector whinger meeting a sloppy journo.

So from the sounds of it they're living on about 800 euro a week as opposed to 200? Not too bad off if that's the case!

• Advertisement

mickeyk wrote: »
    Using taxcalc.eu which I usually find reliable, a garda on 65k would be taking home just over € 3,400 p.m., add € 428 in child benefit and that is an aftertax income of € 3,800 approx. After their €1400 mortgage they should have €2,400 left to pay bills and run the house etc, and all the other costs that every other household in the country has. Obviously these are rough calculations. It's not enough to live the life of Reilly but I think many would envy that particular situation, especially since he has cast iron job security and a decent pension to look forward to. This article is clearly not telling the full story, key information or details of other debts / liabilities are missing. It does however highlight how even somebody on a very very good salary (65k is dreamland for most people) can struggle in the current day and age. They should be doing very nicely for themselves, but due to high cost of living and most likely p**s poor financial planning and no college saving plan they are struggling.

As for eating cornflakes and nothing else give me a break, fifty quid can go an awful long way in Lidl / Aldi, and if it came down to paying the mortgage (I don't have one as I am a renter) or feeding the kids I know what 99.9% of the population including myself would do.

Just to balance things out, tax calves gives my salary figures wrong. It calculates that I get 150 more per forth night that what I actually do.

In regards to aldi/lidl, I agree to an extent. I do my shopping in aldi, have done since march 2006 when I moved out of mammys :) and in fairness, €50 would be tight to feed a family. I spend about €65 per week for me, the GF and our 18 month old.

After totting up the mortgage payment and items such as fuel, food, clothing and footwear, education/medical/ transport, bin charges etc, she saw no way of getting their outgoings below €1,100 a week.
    Mortgage payment 1400 / 4 = 350.
    Other expenses = 1,100 - 350 = 750.

That's the part I find hard to believe.

Food max: 200.
    General bills: 200. (electricity, tv license, bins, car insurance).

That means she 350 to spare.

There is a reference to "educational" expenses. Must be private schools.
    If she has two kids in private schools, that's 12K per year. 1K per month. 250 per week. It's gotta to be that.
    Throw in health insurance and fair enough things get tight.

I would say she has the kids in a private school and is too embarrassed to take them out.

Mortgage payment 1400 / 4 = 350.
    Other expenses = 1,100 - 350 = 750.

That's the part I find hard to believe.

Food max: 200.
    General bills: 200. (electricity, tv license, bins, car insurance).

That means she 350 to spare.

There is a reference to "educational" expenses. Must be private schools.
    If she has two kids in private schools, that's 12K per year. 1K per month. 250 per week. It's gotta to be that.

1400x12 /52 = 323 ;)

this is the point I made earlier!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    this is the point I made earlier!

A stew is cheaper than corn flakes. Which is what most of us eat a few nights a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Just to balance things out, tax calves gives my salary figures wrong. It calculates that I get 150 more per forth night that what I actually do.

In regards to aldi/lidl, I agree to an extent. I do my shopping in aldi, have done since march 2006 when I moved out of mammys :) and in fairness, €50 would be tight to feed a family. I spend about €65 per week for me, the GF and our 18 month old.
    Sorry wasn't trying to say that 50 shoul last the week, but for my family of five we spend about 50-60 in lidl and probably another 40-50 in tesco and that's it, and that's not even being overly thrifty I could easily get that figure down. Was just saying that you'd hardly believe what you can get into a trolley for 50 quid.

Taxcalc gets my salary bang on but that's a fair point.

It is not a modest salary. And it is not a celtic mortgage. She is deluded writing off to politicians - moaning. How about get real. See what her hubby salary would be in other EZ countries would be a good place to start.

The article was a case of public sector whinger meeting a sloppy journo.

I know its not a modest salary. I was being sarcastic that's why I put in the big grin after modest. He's on more money than most university graduates and hes still complaining.

As for the mortgage, there is a possibility that it could well be a celtic tiger mortgage. If it's a tracker mortgage the real repayment could be up on 2grand making the actual mortgage seem deceptively low.
    But again, I can see where you're coming from Tim 1400 is not unreasonable, if they didn't have a mortgage their rent isn't going to be much lower so I don't see what she's harping on about.
    One of the biggest questions I have about this is the car.......everyone has their own idea when it comes to what is expensive when talking about cars! I know I wouldn't like to be making the repayments on a family saloon . The payments on an avensis or mondeo bought from new would easily be upwards of 600 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

That's because you are using it wrong. Put in all your tax credits and it will give you the right figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

People are entirely missing the point its not how cheaply you can feed you family or how to save a bit of money here and there, its about the expectation of a certain life style I am not talking about a sense of entitlement its a lot more complex that that. Its the belief that a middle ranking public servant could have a 4 bedroom house, live in a "good" area afford music lessons for the children, send the children to a good university, have saving and a good pension, or to put it another way have a middle class lifestyle and who knows maybe thats OK and its a legitimate exportation.

srsly78 wrote: »
    That's because you are using it wrong. Put in all your tax credits and it will give you the right figure.

But then surely how can we use that site for that gardas salary as we don't know his tax credits?

• Advertisement
Advertisement