Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hertz/Ulster Bank- not sure who to blame?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hired at a car in London the weekend to go to the Superbikes at Brands Hatch, all was fine, car was prepaid with Ulster Band Debit Card. When collecting the car at the airport had to give them the card to hold a deposit plus a charge for the diesel in case I didn't bring it back full, which I did.

Car was checked back in no problems Sunday night, but I'm still waiting for my deposits back!! I've been told it will take 2 weeks for the money to appear back into my bank account. Hertz say they release the monies straight away but Ulster Bank say they're still holding onto the funds. It comes to an amount of €350, which is a lot! The car hire was only €50. Flight was only €30 return.

Has anyone had the same experience with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Frowzy wrote: »
    Hired at a car in London the weekend to go to the Superbikes at Brands Hatch, all was fine, car was prepaid with Ulster Band Debit Card. When collecting the car at the airport had to give them the card to hold a deposit plus a charge for the diesel in case I didn't bring it back full, which I did.

Car was checked back in no problems Sunday night, but I'm still waiting for my deposits back!! I've been told it will take 2 weeks for the money to appear back into my bank account. Hertz say they release the monies straight away but Ulster Bank say they're still holding onto the funds. It comes to an amount of €350, which is a lot! The car hire was only €50. Flight was only €30 return.

Has anyone had the same experience with them?

I worked for them many years ago, If you threaten to go to offcom in the UK they will change their tune PRETTY FAST ...trust me. Ring them and tell them you are doing this as it's no acceptable etc....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I worked for them many years ago, If you threaten to go to offcom in the UK they will change their tune PRETTY FAST ...trust me. Ring them and tell them you are doing this as it's no acceptable etc....

err, what are you on about?

OFCOM is the telecom regulator in the UK and has nothing to do with either company, so you'd be a idiot to threaten to go to them if you were complaining to either company.

OP, sounds like its perhaps an authorization that's been held, if its an authorization it can take upto 5 working says for these to be released by your card provider.

If however they actually charged you then in which case they'd need to issue a refund and you'd have to wait the period for a refund, but based on what you've said it does sound like a authorization on your card and not an actual charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

OP - ring your credit card provider and ask for details on the authorisations. Hertz generally only place authorisations. I've had them drop off my card as quickly as 3 working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Cabaal wrote: »
    err, what are you on about?

OFCOM is the telecom regulator in the UK and has nothing to do with either company, so you'd be a idiot to threaten to go to them if you were complaining to either company.

OP, sounds like its perhaps an authorization that's been held, if its an authorization it can take upto 5 working says for these to be released by your card provider.

If however they actually charged you then in which case they'd need to issue a refund and you'd have to wait the period for a refund, but based on what you've said it does sound like a authorization on your card and not an actual charge.

My mistake. I got confused. I worked for Hertz HEFC in swords for a few years. We were told that when people were complaing about something that if they mentioned watchdog or trading standards we were just to give in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

UB use Visa Debit which is the same as using a CC. HAve UB confirmed they are holding the funds? Funds held on Visa Debit can take up to 10 working days to be released back to you. Contact your branch, explain whats happened. They will need to call Merchant Services to get an update on what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Hertz have told me that they have released the funds - it was only a hold on my debit card. However UB tell me that Hertz are still holding the funds, therefore I have no choice to wait the 10 working days for the hold to drop off.

This has never happened to me before, I have hired a car on my debit card before and never a problem.

TBH I just think its a cheek!

This "drop off" should only take ten days, however I've seen it taken weeks.

I does impact your avalible balance so be careful not to go overdrawn with dd/so etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'm surprised they left you rent with a Debit Card tbh ... its pretty rare

Enterprise Ireland do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Enterprise Ireland?

• Advertisement

pjmn wrote: »
    Enterprise Ireland?

car rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

I'm surprised they left you rent with a Debit Card tbh ... its pretty rare

I've rented on the debit card loads of times! Never a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

car rental?

Enterprise Ireland are a state agency....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Enterprise-Rent-A-Car Ireland. You knew what he meant! :rolleyes:

Advertisement