Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds Beef?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 2:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Where does McDonalds source their beef? A vegetarian acquaintance of mine said that a valid excuse for vegetarianism is that they clear acres of land to make way for grazing in Brazil and other places and displace many native people.
    I can't find an acual source for this (my LC Geography teacher also said this).

But, according to the ads, McD only use British adn Irish beef :/

So who's right??

Just for the record, I never was, am not now, adn NEVER will even consider vegetarianism.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Irish outlets use Irish beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

lmgtfy:
    First link:
    Irish times article, McD's are the biggest purchaser of Irish beef.
    Second Link
    McD's Page
    Now, it doesn't say that all Irish burgers and made with Irish beef, but I find it hard to imagine they export beef if they don't have enough here to meet supply.

Secondly, they are 100% beef, sp there are no additivies. Quite handy if you are coeliac.
    Where does McDonalds source their beef? A vegetarian acquaintance of mine said that a valid excuse for vegetarianism is that they clear acres of land to make way for grazing in Brazil and other places and displace many native people.

But, according to the ads, McD only use British adn Irish beef :/

So who's right??

Just for the record, I never was, am not now, adn NEVER will even consider vegetarianism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Easily found via Google using keywords like: mcdonalds brazil beef environment

It's also old news with McD losing a high profile court case in the 90's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLibel_case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Irish outlets use Irish beef.

Sure, but what is "Irish Beef"? Beef that's been stored in freezers for years in Ireland can be legally declared "Irish" but could actually be from anywhere.
    My source is a Dept of Agriculture inspector btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

McD's Page
    Now, it doesn't say that all Irish burgers and made with Irish beef,
    They actually do say it on a link on that page.

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/iehome/food/food_quality/about_our_food/irish_produce.html
    That’s right – all of the beef we use in our restaurants, all of the milk in our Happy Meals and milkshakes, all of the cheese in our sandwiches, all of the water we sell and all of the eggs we crack for breakfast are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

:(Dawn Meats in Co. Waterford has recently landed a big contract with the Corpse Crunchers to slice and dice for them. Stefan, Meat Free For Twenty Three Years And Counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

rubadub wrote: »

That's a different page, but thank you for backing up my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Vegetarians and their fantasies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

T-K-O wrote: »

What fantasy? Large areas of forest in brazil are cleared for animal grazing. The largest beef producer in the world, JBS S.A. is based in Brazil.

T-K-O wrote: »

You seem needlessly aggressive. Could it be diet related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why is this thread in V&V? I don't think I know a single vegetarian who is so because McDonalds may have been involved with the deforestation of the Amazon.

McDonalds purchase a lot of beef in Ireland. Trees are cut down for farming so we should stop eating meat, is that what its comes to. Give me a break

OP's mate sounds like a fundamentalist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

Firstly, I don't think that the original post belongs in a Vegetarian forum. What says our Moderator?

In any case, to answer the OP, clearing of the rainforest does occur in order to clear land for the growing of animal feed-crops such as soya. 90% of all the soya on the planet is fed to animals. Even if the beef used by McDonald's is Irish or British, and even if those cattle are grass-fed, ALL grass fed cattle are supplemented with cattle-feed (ie. grain and soya). Some of this cattle-feed will have been imported.

Check out this link: http://www.vegansociety.com/resources/food-security/UK-food-security.aspx

And here, if you scroll down you'll see the section on soy-growing in the Amazon: http://rainforests.mongabay.com/0811.htm

Here also is a useful graphic showing the enormous amount of land, water and grain-feed required to produce a single pound of beef, not to mention the fact that cattle produce more greenhouse gases than all the vehicles on the planet combined: http://www.culinaryschools.org/yum/vegetables/

:rolleyes:

Please move this somewhere else. Anywhere else. Or simply close it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I can't see this discussion going anywhere but downhill. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement