Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Opening Hours

Options
  • 17-10-2012 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Forgot the 10.30am opening hours for the TSB bank this morning, stuck in town waiting for them to open, lodging a check.

Surely in this day and age could they not open earlier, why is this not changed. Noticed the British TSB opening hours are:
    Monday09:0017:00
    Tuesday09:0017:00
    Wednesday10:0017:00
    Thursday09:0017:00
    Friday09:0017:00
    Saturday09:3016:00

Why don't irish banks follow suit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Can of worms.

Plenty of treads on this already.

UB for example open at 9:30 till 4:30 and some on Saturdays. However they did away with the 5pm close too.

It's only a matter of time before they'll be opening till 7pm at night. Staffing branches is the issue and strong unions against it is the main hold up for all banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's only a matter of time before they'll be opening till 7pm at night.

I seriously doubt it. Apart from FX which is highly profitable, the banks aren't interested in people calling into branches for trivial transactions like cashing cheques and withdrawing or lodging small amounts of money.

You may be able to organise a meeting outside core business hours with an official to discuss a loan or to buy one of their life or investments products but keeping branches open until 7 p.m. is not on the cards. The opposite is more likely, branch closures and retiring employees being replaced by part-time staff on low pay so less opening hours rather than more.

Yes, you are correct to say that the moving of customer to alternative banking channels is the way, how ever foot flow into branches allow stuff to target new sales, by removing the repetitive customer will allow staff to focus on the money makers.

Like aib and boi are moving more and more to automated services in branches so in essence less staff are need to open longer.

Loans and life cover outside of office hours is unlikey due to rules governing the sales process. Staff would be leaving themselves wide open for breaking these rules if meeting outside of the branch network.

Banks will open longer but not in the current setup. You only have to walk into a bank in a large English city to see thy way it's going, all automated, floating staff looking for sales, long opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭phormium

I am old enough to remember working until 7 in banking one day a week, it was the greatest waste of time ever and obviously was stopped years ago. Same customers that could have made it in earlier but didn't bother, we had one teacher who always came in at 6.55 despite being off since 4 o'clock! (no offence to any teachers reading this :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ashleyhere

I suppose we should be grateful they're open at lunch time. With the amount of people keeping cash at home, there will be less branches open anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Do people actually think that bank staff actually just stroll home once the doors close at 4? There's a good 60-90mins of work to be done before banks open and after they close.

Do people actually think that bank staff actually just stroll home once the doors close at 4? There's a good 60-90mins of work to be done before banks open and after they close.

LOLz, true but I think 90 mins is pushing it a bit. 30 mins max if the branch is run correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭phormium

It all depends, balancing up might only take 30 mins but in the past few years I very very seldom got to leave at 5 as supposed to, not complaining about it, but just stating fact, but then again I am inclined to think it was badly run :)

Many years ago when I worked in another area, if the assistant manager's wife was not at home to cook his dinner for whatever reason he would find a million jobs to be done after closing, stocktake of stationary being a favourite of his, if there was a match on tv you would be out the door 20 mins after closing.

Advertisement