Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Request : Dash Cam app.

• 17-10-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Request : I'm looking for a very good DashCam app [free or paid]. Currently, I just use the stock camera.

What I'd like is:
    • Cyclic delete [based on number of files, storage or some other]
    • Archive [do not delete] tagged recordings [by touch or crash or other]
    • Show speed, date, time and maybe GPS
    • Run in background with screen off would be great

Must have:
    • Actually embed the speed, date, time and maybe GPS into the video file, not as a sperate "srt" file.

I know that there are a lot of these apps out there. I've tried many of them. However, the killer feature for me is embedding date/time/speed/location etc into the actual video file. None of the ones I've used do this. It doesn't have to be big text, maybe equiv to font size 10 [barely enough to read, but still readable].

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

RangeR wrote: »
    Request : I'm looking for a very good DashCam app [free or paid]. Currently, I just use the stock camera.

What I'd like is:
    • Cyclic delete [based on number of files, storage or some other]
    • Archive [do not delete] tagged recordings [by touch or crash or other]
    • Show speed, date, time and maybe GPS
    • Run in background with screen off would be great

Must have:
    • Actually embed the speed, date, time and maybe GPS into the video file, not as a sperate "srt" file.

I know that there are a lot of these apps out there. I've tried many of them. However, the killer feature for me is embedding date/time/speed/location etc into the actual video file. None of the ones I've used do this. It doesn't have to be big text, maybe equiv to font size 10 [barely enough to read, but still readable].

Any ideas?

this any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

irishgeo wrote: »
    this any good?

OMFG That's perfect. Cheers.

</sarcasm>

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Looking for this myself, ave my official car cradle coming tomorrow and would love to find a decent dashcam setup

edit
    This looks good from the video
    http://www.witnessphoneapp.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dailyroads dashcam looks decent.
    You can put gps/elevation font into the clip as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dailyroads.v&hl=en

Blazer wrote: »

Yeah. I tried that about 6 to 9 months ago and it was buggy or something. I'll give it another shot.

EDIT : No. This doesn't overlay the required details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yeah. I tried that about 6 to 9 months ago and it was buggy or something. I'll give it another shot.

EDIT : No. This doesn't overlay the required details.
    Just curious, why do you need this? As an alternative, could you not combine the video and srt files afterwards?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Just curious, why do you need this? As an alternative, could you not combine the video and srt files afterwards?

OK, let's be specific. Need, no. Absolutely want, yes.
    If I'm looking at a video, after the fact, my speed will be an indication of an obnoxious driver's speed or whatever.

Yes, I COULD combine the vid and srt afterwards. I don't want to. I would like the app to do that for me. I'm looking for convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OK, let's be specific. Need, no. Absolutely want, yes.
    If I'm looking at a video, after the fact, my speed will be an indication of an obnoxious driver's speed or whatever.

Yes, I COULD combine the vid and srt afterwards. I don't want to. I would like the app to do that for me. I'm looking for convenience.
    But if you're watching the video after the fact, will it not just pick up the details from the srt?

Sorry, I know this isn't helping, I'm just curious :o

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    But if you're watching the video after the fact, will it not just pick up the details from the srt?

Sorry, I know this isn't helping, I'm just curious :o

I understand your curiosity but you are only thinking of a subset of scenarios. Not every media player [or service] supports SRT.

If I want to upload the video to a video display site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Think I read about an app called ionroad or something close to that. Most features were free with a fee for the extra bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Think I read about an app called ionroad or something close to that. Most features were free with a fee for the extra bits.

Here it is - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.picitup.iOnRoad.pro&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLnBpY2l0dXAuaU9uUm9hZC5wcm8iXQ..

Looks good!

Yeah I've tried ionroad last year. I don't think it inserts the overlay into the video result. I'll give it another go, though

Yeah I've tried ionroad last year. I don't think it inserts the overlay into the video result. I'll give it another go, though

Let me know how it goes, will buy it myself if it does

draffodx wrote: »
    Let me know how it goes, will buy it myself if it does

This is just an Augmented Reality Driving Aid. It's VERY good at what it does but it's not a dash cam. There was a recent update that included video recording "black box" but I don't think it's what I'm looking for. I really don't think it combines video and overlay.

Hard to really say as you have to pay to get the video feature. I won't be laying down money just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

I use autoguard.

Blazer wrote: »

I think we have a winner. Gonna test it now.

Edit :

I purchased Witness on the strength of a claim on it's website.
    Record what happens as you drive -
    Simple to set up car recorder. As you record what you see through the windscreen, Witness™ automatically embeds other information such as date, time, speed, GPS location and G-forces. Forms great evidence.

This is entirely misleading. I tested the application by taking two short videos. Copied them to my computer [as an aside, there were no srt files]. I had to add an AVI file extention [for convenience]. Played it via Windows Media player. There was no embedded information visible.

I immediately cancelled the order and got a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Why not email one or some of the devs with your request and see if they can add it to their app ?

That would be the next step. I just want to see if an app exists at the moment. Although, I believe Android currently prohibits combining an overlay on top of live video. However, it can be done as a post processing option.

Not 100% sure, though.

I think we have a winner. Gonna test it now.

How are you finding dailyroads?

I switched back to my camera :)

I forget, specifically, what was wrong with Daily Roads but I tried all apps listed on this thread. Some of them had bugs. One of them kept playing alarm sounds and screaming CRASH ALERT all over my screen, while I was doing 120 down the M7. Not the safest. It was promptly removed. I'm not willing to test them again, to find out witch one it was, although I think it was iOnRoad [augmented driving aid].

Outragiously unsafe.

• Advertisement

I forget, specifically, what was wrong with Daily Roads but I tried all apps listed on this thread. Some of them had bugs. One of them kept playing alarm sounds and screaming CRASH ALERT all over my screen, while I was doing 120 down the M7. Not the safest. It was promptly removed. I'm not willing to test them again, to find out witch one it was, although I think it was iOnRoad [augmented driving aid].

Outragiously unsafe.

Ah here after me splashing out on the official Samsung car dock today I was looking forward to the RangeR report on which black box app to buy! :D

Guess I'll have to test myself! :)

When I get a spare few weeks to learn Android, I'll create my own one. You'll be my first "free" customer :)

When I get a spare few weeks to learn Android, I'll create my own one. You'll be my first "free" customer :)

I'm a developer myself but just don't have the spare free time outside work to build it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Outragiously unsafe.

There's loads of options within that app, maybe you can adjust or remove the warning limits?

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    There's loads of options within that app, maybe you can adjust or remove the warning limits?

Fair point. I used default "sensor" settings in all apps. However, an app that reads me coming to a "crash" stop [and loud alerts] while doing 120 on motorway is too dangerous to use.

Fair point. I used default "sensor" settings in all apps. However, an app that reads me coming to a "crash" stop [and loud alerts] while doing 120 on motorway is too dangerous to use.

It does look like it would need a lot of tuning before it would be usable which is a bit pointless for a mobile app.
    Telgere wrote: »
    I use autoguard.

Any good, do you use the paid version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Aw winner. Don't even care if it can't combine video anymore. Gotta get me a ODBII for the MR2. Gadget heaven.

Tested Dailyroads this morning myself, it's terrible, kept freezing my phone and I had to keep taking my battery out to get it to reset.

Autoguard seems better but it seems to have awful trouble focusing the camera as I drive, a lot of the time the screen looked like it was recording a blur, haven't checked the file yet but I'd imagine it's not great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement