Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baines Vs Ivanovic

• 17-10-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Similar to the poll i done a while back on Bebatov and Fletcher i thought id throw one together to see what the general Boards FSA consensus was concerning Baines and Ivanovic just for my own curiosity.

Baines is currently at £7.5 mil, has 45 points, has scored twice with 2 assists and 9 bps in just 7 weeks

Ivanovic is cheaper at 7.2 mil and is currently the highest socring defender with 56 points, has scored three with 1 assist and 6bps

I have Baines in my team but keep thinking of changing him for Ivanovic, I havn't done it yet as just based on last years performance i reckon Bianes is probably the better long term prospect but Chelsea are in great form so far this year so if the general feeling is Ivanovic is a must have for the moment it'll be my priority to get him in soon!

Who's the better option?? 38 votes

Baines
    0% 0 votes
    Ivanovic
    100% 38 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Ivanovich. Mainly based on the fact that I don't think I have ever had an Everton player in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ivanovic. A defender's primary job is clean sheets and he plays for a better team than Baines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Ace0x9

Baines. I know Ivanovic is in a better team and plays a bit better but from the FPL perspective, Baines gets FKs, PKs and the odd assist every now and then. He's been involved in a lot of key passes too, almost at par with Cazorla in that department.

My vote is also biased taking into account, the fact that when I captained Baines, he always gave me a good return. [Or did I just get lucky?]

I have both in my team though. Heavy back-line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Whoever is in the better form and also fixtures play a part too. So Baines atm but if Everton start to dip I'll reconsider. Chelsea have tough fixtures coming up, had it not been for their very kind start I think Baines would be ahead of Ivanovic. Also Ivanovic is fairly inconsistent at the moment. The stats look good but he hadn't scored or assisted for a period of 4 games. Baines has assisted or scored in every 2 games at least. Also, the 3 games Ivanovic did well in were WIG(a) RDG(h) and NOR(h). Arguably 3 of the best fixture one could have. There will be no more of them for a while. They have a long rough patch coming up. Everton's isnt a whole load greater but the thing about Baines is he can score against any team. Give him the right freekick or if they get a penalty. Also, Everton are the one team that regularly pull off unlikely clean sheets. Their 2 already have been from Man United and Swansea away.

Anyway, with all the said, I think Baines is the better option. He also has a great knack for a few bonus points in very unexpected occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Baines has created 30 chances. That's almost 4 times more than any other defender and is 6 times more than Ivanovic.

Baines has had 9 goal attempts versus Ivan's 6.

On the other hand Ivan has had 21 touches inside the penalty area versus 12 for Baines.

As an attacking threat I think Baines is far superior. The 30 chances created is just staggering.

In defensive terms Ivan is stronger - 4 clean sheets to 2.

Baines is far more involved in Everton's play than Ivan is in Chelsea's.

Personally I'd go for Baines. Having said that I don't believe in spending large amounts on defenders long term so I'll have neither in my team for very long during the season.

IMO Rafael gives you the chance of a big points haul plus a good chance of a clean sheet. He's not as involved as Baines is but is significantly cheaper.

• Advertisement

Shane732 wrote: »
    Baines has created 30 chances. That's almost 4 times more than any other defender and is 6 times more than Ivanovic.

Baines has had 9 goal attempts versus Ivan's 6.

On the other hand Ivan has had 21 touches inside the penalty area versus 12 for Baines.

As an attacking threat I think Baines is far superior. The 30 chances created is just staggering.

In defensive terms Ivan is stronger - 4 clean sheets to 2.

Baines is far more involved in Everton's play than Ivan is in Chelsea's.

Personally I'd go for Baines. Having said that I don't believe in spending large amounts on defenders long term so I'll have neither in my team for very long during the season.

IMO Rafael gives you the chance of a big points haul plus a good chance of a clean sheet. He's not as involved as Baines is but is significantly cheaper.

This looks like a well thought out argument in favour of Baines. Unfortunately you haven't posted your current league position, previous finishing positions in Fantasy Football, or what you had for breakfast this morning so I just don't know what to do with this seemingly good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

John Terry's 4 match ban would have to definetly make Baines the better option now.

The 3 league games Terry will miss are:

Spurs (A)

Man Utd (H)

Swansea (A)

Steel Dog wrote: »
    John Terry's 4 match ban would have to definetly make Baines the better option now.

The 3 league games Terry will miss are:
    Spurs (A)
    Man Utd (H)
    Swansea (A)

Ivanovic might have to drop back and might not be able to attack as freely as he did + the opposition is a lot tougher than what he faced in the initial gameweeks, huh?

You think Cahill/Luiz could feature here somewhere to fill in for Terry so that Ivanovic could retain his original role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Has to be Baines. Most attacking full back in the league, consistently has scored big fpl points over the years. And for defensive points, there really isnt much between the two sides. I actually think Robert Huth is more of a threat than Ivanovic especialy when ya consider his stats over the last few seasons. Hes under the radar though atm as he hasnt hit a scoring run...yet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

roryc wrote: »
    This looks like a well thought out argument in favour of Baines. Unfortunately you haven't posted your current league position, previous finishing positions in Fantasy Football, or what you had for breakfast this morning so I just don't know what to do with this seemingly good advice.

:rolleyes: You fucking love it haha:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

Ace0x9 wrote: »
    Ivanovic might have to drop back and might not be able to attack as freely as he did + the opposition is a lot tougher than what he faced in the initial gameweeks, huh?

You think Cahill/Luiz could feature here somewhere to fill in for Terry so that Ivanovic could retain his original role?
    Cahill and Luiz could play centre back with Ivanovic staying right back or Ivanovic could play centre back with Ceser Azpilicueta coming in at right back.

I'm sorry but are you not the lad who said you didn't want to get involved in rubbish like this?

Great way of proving it.

Drag an argument from another thread that was over onto a new thread so it can go off topic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

In fantasy football Ivanovic he racks up the points, in real life BAINES

Surprised how many people have chosen Baines, thought it would be close enough tbh.

Surprised how many people have chosen Baines, thought it would be close enough tbh.

Well, Ofcourse. Who wouldn't choose a defender who gets to take (and actually score!) PKs and FKs?

I've got Ivanovich but I'm starting to be swayed towards Baines. It would cost me 0.6m to change but his fixtures are considerably nicer and with the Terry situation it might make it a worthwhile swap.

I would be breaking my no Everton player rule, so chances are he'd get sent off on Sunday after scoring an own goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Whether you decide to make the move or not I think it really is time to reevaluate your no Everton policy.

It's madness!

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Whether you decide to make the move or not I think it really is time to reevaluate your no Everton policy.

It's madness!

Well said. Jelavic was one of the best players in the game at the end of last year. As was Pienaar.

Any team worth their salt had Coleman two years ago. He started out cheap and was classed as a defender but played in midfield a lot.

Everton also hadn't conceded at Goodison since February before the Newcastle game last month.

S.M.B. wrote: »

It's madness!

It's worked well in the past, Everton generally do well for a certain period and then fall apart.

I've bought in Baines anyway so hopefully my theory is proved incorrect... Also I may have been mistaken on never having an Everton player, pretty sure I had Coleman a few seasons ago When FPL had him down as a MF.

I won't be buying in Pienaar or Fellaini, I think Michu and Nolan will outscore both and I've only space for 2 mid-priced midfielders. Baines is the only one I would have considere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Can't deny the affect Pienaar had on Everton in the 2nd half of last season. 4 goals and 6 assists in 14 games. Got him in for 6.5m at the start of this season because he was priced as a spurs benchwarmer rather an Everton winger... complete bargain. Jelavic a bit pricey for me but if he starts banging them in again I'd consider picking him up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Definitely Baines. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Just beat me to it :D

Advertisement