Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Following you dream v reality

• 17-10-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭

Whats people take on this.

If someone did a degree in an area they really wanted to have a career in, in fact if they got in to the industry they want it would be their dream careerer. About one third of the degree consisted of programing and general IT skills and the rest of their degree was in the area they wanted to work in.

When they graduated it was impossible to get a job in their chosen careerer and its an area thats very difficult to get into at the best of times, but they could possible get a general IT type job because of the skill they have from their degree, should they be forced to take an IT type job even though that might be the end of the dream because the career they want is something you relay need to brake in to when you are young so if you take the IT type job there might be no way back to what they want.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Forced by who? Whoever is paying your living expenses, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Really it's all about how much you want your dream. If you want it badly enough you'll find a way, whether that be by moving to a different country where jobs are available or starting your own business in that industry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later".

Mitch Hedberg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Forced by who? Whoever is paying your living expenses, is it?

By a mixture of parents and social welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Why wouldn't they do the IT job to tide them over?

When I came here, I was a librarian. Had the degree, the university education, the internships, the lot.
    When I arrived here I needed a job quickly, and got into IT.
    And that's where I still am, as I found I actually like it even better than working in libraries.

Dreams are good to have, but you have to allow for your dreams to be bested by reality sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

mariaalice wrote: »

Well, I suspect they're saying: compromise won't kill you.

& sincerely your dream won't die unless you let it, although it may evolve.

Evidence on how you get into field X is usually out of date as soon as it is collected.

How cool will it be when you overcome this temporary setback?

Stronger & wiser, will you be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

mariaalice wrote: »
    If you can get work, you should work. Nobody should stay on social welfare waiting for their 'dream job'. Very few people would actually be employed if that was the case. For most people, their dream job turns into a way to make a living as opposed to a passion.

Work to live, not live to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its the son of friend of mine, he wants his dream she wants him to be realistic I think at the moment she is going to give him a bit of space and see if it dawns on him naturally that he might not get exactly what he wants in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'd tell him to go and take a job in IT and do a part-time postgrad in the evenings in his dream subject so he will be better qualified for jobs with additional feathers to his bow. I want to be a novelist but I still have to work. Likewise, he should take something to pay his way and see it as part of the journey rather than waiting for an opportunity to land in his lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If you really want your dream job you'll do it. I always wanted to work in a particular area but found myself living in Ireland due to uncontrollable circumstances when i was a teenager. So i went to college in Ireland and then paid myself to get on a masters course in the US that wasn't available in Ireland. There was a very long winded path i could take to put myself in a good position for my dream job further down the road or i could have tried when younger and most likely not have got it. So i went on a different path and worked out of Belgium doing numerous internships and voluntary programs. Eventually i got a paid position and worked hard and kept applying for my dream job. Last year i got accepted and out of over 20 thousand applicants i was one of the lucky ones that passed all the tests and got in. 9 years after i got the ball rolling towards this job. Don't let reality get in the way of a dream.

• Advertisement
Advertisement