Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a headset

Options
  • 17-10-2012 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy chaps

I'm looking for a headset to buy as a present for my son. He's big into fps stuff, so I want one with surround sound. Ideally wireless too but those are pricey, so wired is an option too.

Was looking at the turtle beach DLX1 on the turtle beach website, are they any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Could maybe get a set of Turtle Beach X41s. They're previous range, but they're wireless, 7.1 surround sound and would probably be cheaper than any of their current range. I'm struggling to see how any of their current range is much better tbh. The main downside of the X41s is that they eat AAA batteries. Most new headsets will have chargeable battery packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Could maybe get a set of Turtle Beach X41s. They're previous range, but they're wireless, 7.1 surround sound and would probably be cheaper than any of their current range. I'm struggling to see how any of their current range is much better tbh. The main downside of the X41s is that they eat AAA batteries. Most new headsets will have chargeable battery packs.

Cheers man, I was looking at Turtle Beach x42's there, very pricey. Will have a look around for x41's though :)

Are the X41/42's generally regarded well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

EnterNow wrote: »
    Cheers man, I was looking at Turtle Beach x42's there, very pricey. Will have a look around for x41's though :)

Are the X41/42's generally regarded well?

I've had a set for the past two years and my only complaint has been the amount of batteries I buy. A big set of batteries is no longer that pricey but it's a pain to keep them in stock in the house. Other than that, they were probably the most popular higher=end console headset for 3 years.

I'm looking at getting a set of Astros soon but they will set you back big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Is surround sound over rated in headphones? I have carried out a fair bit of research on this over the last month and its inconclusive, some swear by them some find it confusing.

On this research I went with the x32 wireless headphones around 130 euro, but they can be got a lot cheaper online. The sound is brilliant on them, and most times I can tell where most sounds are coming from, except dark knight, and baitin, how do not seem to make any sound at all!

On the x32 option if you want surround you can add the dss2, and this works out about 5 euros more then the x42's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

if you can get these
    http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/gamecom-x40

you'll be flying.

I got a set from a friend (who works for plantronics) great headphones and cheap as chips.(edit, cheapish) They use 2 AAA batteries and aren't too hard on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

If you have the money, you could splash out on these

http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/warhead.asp

You would be in his good books for a very long time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Astro a40,s are the business
    Or try the a50,s
    There are some headphones that simulate surround sound then there's Astro,s which are true surround sound .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Can someone tell me if it is possible to use the Turtle Beach x11's with a HDMI cable ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Argos are selling x42 cheaper at the moment. Its a great dolby surround headset. Just pick up a AAA battery charger while you are there for about 7 quid to save on battery's in the future.

Argos are selling x42 cheaper at the moment

Wow, its gone up €40. I got the x42's in the end in Argos for €150 a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

EnterNow wrote: »
    Wow, its gone up €40. I got the x42's in the end in Argos for €150 a few weeks ago

:eek: Yes I did the same I bought it a few weeks ago in Argos for 146.

Really have to pick up some rechargeable AAA's

Advertisement