Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The third great Irish Diaspora, but this time it’s different...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I do think thats true but for different reasons than stated in the article, Ireland is in reality a region of the UK whether we like it or not, modern communication and transport make it possible to work in London during the week and come home at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

mariaalice wrote: »
    I do think thats true but for different reasons than stated in the article, Ireland is in reality a region of the UK whether we like it or not, modern communication and transport make it possible to work in London during the week and come home at the weekend.
    That is problem. We never really got independance. This time we cannot blame the British.

But really this emigration is an absolute Godsend for the politicians and the establishment in this country. If those 200,000 had nowhere to go. There would be serious discontent in this country. Add that to the current number of unemployed and it would be over half a million people on the dole. Nightmare scenario for the clowns in Leinster house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

mariaalice wrote: »

Does that really make us a region of the UK though? You could just as easily work in Paris, Berlin, etc, and come home at the weekend. But we're not a region of France or Germany...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Niles wrote: »
    Does that really make us a region of the UK though? You could just as easily work in Paris, Berlin, etc, and come home at the weekend. But we're not a region of France or Germany...

Hrrrm. Some of ye are big earners compared to yours truly :D

Ireland is not a region of the UK, it is a sovereign nation which lies in close proximity to the UK.

Now, I'm off to brave the Central Line. Be good, y'all x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

bluecode wrote: »
    That is problem. We never really got independance. This time we cannot blame the British.

I would say we got 'too much independence'. It was like the kids who got the keys to the liquor cabinet when their parents went away on holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

I'm one of the current emigrants and I think it's a case of glad to be Irish but glad to not be in Ireland.

Ireland has always had a history of diaspora. This one isn't any different from the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Yugioh wrote: »
    Ireland has always had a history of diaspora. This one isn't any different from the others.

Difference is we've nobody to blame but ourselves this time around... And the germans of course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Oh Danny Boy, the Skype, the Skype are calling...

:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

yawn - a cliche once again...

You would think the coffin ships were still creaking off the Great Banks when you read this garbage.

Irish people like working in other countries FFS. Enough of this tired old arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

My feeling is they want there kids to be of whatever nation they are born in. No more plastic paddies. I think they will keep in touch with family and friends...not with Irish identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

My feeling is they want there kids to be of whatever nation they are born in. No more plastic paddies. I think they will keep in touch with family and friends...not with Irish identity.

I disagree, I live in Berlin and most likely will end up staying here. I certainly do not want my kids to be 100% German knowing they are not Irish.

Irish culture and identity is great - it's just a shame our country is currently s^&t. It's not just the economy, there's just better places with better quality of living elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

We've become what Arsenal are to Barcelona & Manchester Citeh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I think is was particularly telling on one talk show, a prospective emigrant was asked 'Do you love your country?'

She sort of dodged it by 'I love my family'.

When asked the same q again, she answered 'I could take it or leave it.'

I'd say a lot of ppl could 'take it or leave it' at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

yawn - a cliche once again...

You would think the coffin ships were still creaking off the Great Banks when you read this garbage.

Irish people like working in other countries FFS. Enough of this tired old arse.
    Do they, purely a lifestyle choice is it? All 200,000 said to themselves. 'Let's go off on an adventure.'

I don't know what rock you've been living under for the past few years. But I suggest you sit up and take a look at what's going on in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I've come to firmly believe that the problem in this country is that we dont' seems to have a sense of pride in our work, of doing a good professional job just for feeling of accomplishment and to know a job was well done.

Instead we are dominated by the cute-hoorism, pulling one over on the man, the 'ah sure it will be grand' attitude. And we now are reaping the rewards of this whilst doing nothing to change it

Conversely, one of the nicest Paddy's Days I had was with the missus, in a bar in Tooting watching the children of Irish immigrants doing Irish dancing - kids of all colours, enjoying their heritage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

old hippy wrote: »
    Conversely, one of the nicest Paddy's Days I had was with the missus, in a bar in Tooting watching the children of Irish immigrants doing Irish dancing - kids of all colours, enjoying their heritage :)

The Hare And Hounds, no doubt?

Spread wrote: »
    The Hare And Hounds, no doubt?

Nah, it was the Mayfair Tavern, which has/had a bit of a reputation but was lovely that particular day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

old hippy wrote: »
    Nah, it was the Mayfair Tavern, which has/had a bit of a reputation but was lovely that particular day :)

Speaking of reputations ........ going to London next month and staying at The Crown (Cricklewood). It now has a 4* Hotel attached. I remember in the late 60s, lots of Irish casual labourers lining up outside it for the vans - as they did in Tooting, Shepherd's Bush, Camden Town and Hammersmith. Incidentally, The Hare And Hounds is now closed. As is The Galty and The National. The latter being a Mosque.

Advertisement