Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a way to play/change music on a bike?

• 17-10-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Soo...I currently have a good setup -- I have in-ear monitors (I'm a drummer...well, was).

They're basically just noise cancelling earphones, plugged into my iPhone, which is in my pocket. Great because I can hear music at speed...

I would like to be able to control the iPod/iPhone though...change music, stop it, etc. Any ideas?

I would also love to continue to use my in-ear monitor rather than in-helmet speakers because I love not being able to hear the wind while doing 100+kmh up the motorway, etc...

Any got any experience/recommendations?

Also, being able to use a phone too might be an added bonus...

No comments or opinions on the danger/non-danger of listening of music on a bike, please ;)...

Cheers,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hi,

I use IEM's on long drives. Had the iphone in a magnetic pouch attached to the tank to stop music etc. THe pouch is water proof and well built. It had a clear plastic front but winter gloves are no use to get response from screen.

So unless its got a non touch screen its tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Sounds like you'd be better off with a car..:p...........nothing beats the sound of a V twin....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sounds like you'd be better off with a car..:p...........nothing beats the sound of a V twin....:)

...dunno, I have a Big Twin, and have my iPod and Autocom. Works for me :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I use an earbud headset similar to the headset that come with the iphone except they are in ear. Its not perfect by any means. If it had the microphone seperate from the controls it would be alot better. and if it had foam over the microphone to reduce wind noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

rat_race wrote: »
    Soo...I currently have a good setup -- I have in-ear monitors (I'm a drummer...well, was).

They're basically just noise cancelling earphones, plugged into my iPhone, which is in my pocket. Great because I can hear music at speed...

I would like to be able to control the iPod/iPhone though...change music, stop it, etc. Any ideas?

I would also love to continue to use my in-ear monitor rather than in-helmet speakers because I love not being able to hear the wind while doing 100+kmh up the motorway, etc...

Any got any experience/recommendations?

Also, being able to use a phone too might be an added bonus...

No comments or opinions on the danger/non-danger of listening of music on a bike, please ;)...

Cheers,
    C

If you don't want opinions don't post in a public forum asking for advise then.

It is dangerous but as you already stated you know that.

I would suggest you get something like a broken cardo and use the headphones with an iPhone jack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i use an ipod shuffle clipped onto my front, i sometimes use the remote for it too must see if it works on the iPhone, i use in ear noise cancelling headphones too, but i only use them on the short commute to work not on long trips as i like to hear whats going on around me most of the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

650Ginge wrote: »
    If you don't want opinions don't post in a public forum asking for advise then.

It is dangerous but as you already stated you know that.

I would suggest you get something like a broken cardo and use the headphones with an iPhone jack.

I did ask for opinions. But on a piece of equipment...

What I don't want is an answer to a question I didn't ask, clogging up the forum and making it difficult for myself and others to read any useful answers that are actually relevant to the technical question being asked.

Also, I didn't say it was dangerous ;) ...

Thanks for the tip (last sentence)...

I dunno about you, but the engine is the last thing I can hear when at speed...maybe I need a louder exhaust :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

rat_race wrote: »
    I dunno about you, but the engine is the last thing I can hear when at speed...maybe I need a louder exhaust :D

:D:D...........EXHAUST..???.....exhausts are for girls.....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I have a Bluetooth headset that I picked up in Cotters for a good price.

I can control tracks and volume by pressing a few buttons on my helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What about an otterbox and mount it onto your handlebars?

Cienciano wrote: »
    What about an otterbox and mount it onto your handlebars?

what if it got loose and bit ya?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

I just turn the music up full and hope that Im going to like the next song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

playlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

If I can find a blank plastic box to mount to the bars I'll build one and let you know !

The iPods now have the control-talk buttons on the headphones so just move em further down the wire onto the bars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

grip on the the right handlebar to change the volume, and lever by my left boot to change the song

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Wossack wrote: »
    grip on the the right handlebar to change the volume, and lever by my left boot to change the song

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carefull now!

Does your headphones not have the controls inline? I have my HTC set attached to my helmet and the Mic/controls just inside the visor, if some1 rings or I wanna change track I just open the visor and press the buttons, I would imagine iPhone have similar controls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just think of your favourite songs in your head, no need for a music system or headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Before I make a couple of suggestions I just want say that I honestly have nothing to do with the companies mentioned below and will not get any commission on sales. I'm just adding my tuppence-worth based on personal experience in the hope that someone finds it of use !
    Anyway here are 2 possible alternatives for you for around €20 each.

1. Meelectronics M6-P IEMS with in line remote control. Brilliant sound for the price of them as long as you can live with a little extra bass - I find that this helps to cut down on wind noise. Good isolation - so you don't need volume up high.
    Best of all they're flat and designed to fit flush in your ear and have very narrow over ear guides so ur lid will slide over them without pulling them out of your ears. Great for running and gym work as well.
    Meelec often do specials and you can get them on ebay as well. You'd have to pay 2-3 times as much for the same sound / build quality in a "Big Brand Name" set of IEMs.
    I use A151s when Im not on the bike.
    They are a relatively small company and I can attest to the fact that their customer service second to none.
    I've got more than half a dozen different sets for myself and the family from them so tell then Dec from Dublin put you on to them and you never know - Mike might offer you a small discount.
    Have a look here...
    http://www.meelec.com/M6_Series_earphones_s/246.htm

2. Get an iJet Nav remote control. They use RF so no extra cables but no mic either. Suits me as the only time I get to myself is when I'm on two wheels. There are a few different options and they work with iPods and iPhones through the dock connector. I have the iJet Nav Elite and use it in all weathers on and off the bike. It's so handy not having to pull out earphones or rooting for your phone to turn volume down / off when you're in a shop or you need to hear something or have a quick word with someone.
    Most importantly, I can use the buttons even when I'm wearing thick gore-tex winter gloves.
    They come with a holder that the remote clips into. I have mine attached to the handle-bars. The holder is designed to fit onto the inside of the steering wheel of a car as well.
    If you don't trust the holder, a home made option I've used in the past is a Velcro square on the key cover of the petrol tank lid and the opposing piece on the back of the remote. I haven't lost one yet. Again they can be bought directly or on eBay.

The small receiver that attaches to the bottom of the phone / ipod has a "pass through" port so that you can charge or dock your phone and still use the remote. Have a look here...
    http://www.buyijet.com/

Anyway - Sorry for being so long winded but hope this helps someone.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
    Does your headphones not have the controls inline? I have my HTC set attached to my helmet and the Mic/controls just inside the visor, if some1 rings or I wanna change track I just open the visor and press the buttons, I would imagine iPhone have similar controls?

They do, but they're too small for gloves and usually under my zip. Might work if I tried though ;) ...
    Wossack wrote: »

Was having a bit of a slow day when I read this...I was like "WTF...that's insane...how does it work?"

Shinobollo wrote: »
    Before I make a couple of suggestions I just want say that I honestly have nothing to do with the companies mentioned below and will not get any commission on sales. I'm just adding my tuppence-worth based on personal experience in the hope that someone finds it of use !

1. Meelectronics M6-P IEMS with in line remote control. Brilliant sound for the price of them as long as you can live with a little extra bass - I find that this helps to cut down on wind noise. Good isolation - so you don't need volume up high.
    Best of all they're flat and designed to fit flush in your ear and have very narrow over ear guides so ur lid will slide over them without pulling them out of your ears. Great for running and gym work as well.
    Meelec often do specials and you can get them on ebay as well. You'd have to pay 2-3 times as much for the same sound / build quality in a "Big Brand Name" set of IEMs.
    They are a relatively small company and I can attest to the fact that their customer service second to none.
    I've got more than half a dozen different sets for myself and the family from them so tell then Dec from Dublin put you on to them and you never know - Mike might offer you a small discount.
    Have a look here...

2. Get an iJet Nav remote control. They use RF so no extra cables but no mic either. Suits me as the only time I get to myself is when I'm on two wheels. There are a few different options and they work with iPods and iPhones through the dock connector. I have the iJet Nav Elite and use it in all weathers on and off the bike. It's so handy not having to pull out earphones or rooting for your phone to turn volume down / off when you're in a shop or you need to hear something or have a quick word with someone.
    Most importantly, I can use the buttons even when I'm wearing thick gore-tex winter gloves.
    They come with a holder that the remote clips into. I have mine attached to the handle-bars. The holder is designed to fit onto the inside of the steering wheel of a car as well.
    If you don't trust the holder, a home made option I've used in the past is a Velcro square on the key cover of the petrol tank lid and the opposing piece on the back of the remote. I haven't lost one yet. Again they can be bought directly or on eBay.

The small receiver that attaches to the bottom of the phone / ipod has a "pass through" port so that you can charge or dock your phone and still use the remote. Have a look here...

Great response. Thank you!!!

Shinobollo wrote: »

Have a look here...

FYI, I bought both of these as they seem like things I will use off the motorbike too. Didn't get the "elite" iNav though, because it seems less water resistant according to descriptions.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Them headphones seem great?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Glad to have been of help. I've tried lots of different iems and to me Meelec offer great value for money. They tend to do well in reviews. The only thing with the M6s as I said earlier Is that they are a bit too heavy on the bass for me overall. If I'm walking around I tend to use something else (A151s at the moment) for a slightly crisper sound. But the extra bass is great on the bike as it helps to reduce wind noise. Make sure you try the different tips until you find the ones that give you the best isolation.
    Look forward to hearing how you get on with both.

One final thing for anyone using headphones on the bike. I'd suggest that you get your hands on a short cable that you can connect you headphone cable into. Wear the join / connecter outside your jacket so that if you're ever unfortunate enough to come off your bike you can disconnect the sound quickly without having to root through your gear for your music player or look around for the remote if you have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Why not get a Garmin Zumu the blue tooth is great and you can speak on the phone too

650gs wrote: »
    Why not get a Garmin Zumu the blue tooth is great and you can speak on the phone too

£500 is why! :D But good idea...they can play MP3s too -- I didn't know. One day...

Advertisement