Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Game Cup, Cannes, France March 1st - 3rd 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Can i assume we're going for the same hotel this year? Also TCD is on reading week the week prior to this so i for one am going out wednesday, seeing as i won't be msising college. Paul's in for that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I actually intend on flying out to Australia the same week as this is on so I'm obviously not going. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

28518110.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

28518110.jpg

As happens quite often with MK, last year a load of people voted for it then about 3 people showed up to play.

There's nothing more frustrating than that stuff when you're running a tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kurama_tengu

As always Chopper has done most of the work, but...
    World Game Cup 2013 – Teaser and First Announcement

6th Edition – Palais des Festivals de Cannes
    March 1st to 3rd 2013

[/CENTER]

Presentation:

Set in the heart of the Festival International des Jeux, in the prestigious Palais des Festivals de Cannes, a world-renown, exceptional place, the World Game Cup is an arena where the best fighters from all 5 continents will fight to the finish during three fun-filled days.

The World Game Cup History in numbers:

- 170.000 visitors in the Festival International des Jeux.
    - 1.000 competitors in the World Game Cup area.
    - 24 nationalities represented (Japan, USA, Singapore, Korea, Russia, most European Union countries…).
    - Prestigious Guests (including Top Players MCZ.Daigo Umehara, Dieminion, MCZ.Mago, MCZ.Tokido, RF, BAS, WW.MCZ RyanHart, MCZ.WDM Luffy, RZR.Fuudo and many more).
    - Multiple media coverage (TV reports, radio, Internet…)

>>> After the success of the 2012′s edition, the World Game Cup is now the largest fighting game event in Europe and one of the most important in the world…

The Official Games of the 2013 Edition:

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v.2012
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    Street Fighter X Tekken v.2013
    The King Of Fighters XIII
    Soulcalibur V
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    Dead Or Alive 5
    Persona 4 – The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena
    Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown

Info, registration, schedule, rules & regulations:
    Please remember that registration is only available Online.
    Registration will open in November.
    The official website is available in both English & French.
    http://www.worldgamecup.fr

And yes the rumors are true!

-There will be International qualifiers (and we mean INTERNATIONAL).
    -There will be a seeding points system (and even bonus points for national teams members).
    -There will be more players, more nations represented, more games, more madness in the hotels...

THERE WILL BE MORE WORLDGAMECUP!

Follow us on Twitter & Facebook:
    https://twitter.com/WorldGameCup
    https://www.facebook.com/WorldGameCup

• Advertisement

As happens quite often with MK, last year a load of people voted for it then about 3 people showed up to play.

There's nothing more frustrating than that stuff when you're running a tournament.

there was people from at least 4 different countries in mk last year and from what i heard they were treated like a red headed step child

I was more a problem of MK9 needing an Internet connection to run with the DLC's & updates than anything (and Warner sending not Season Passes but Online Passes by mistake), but yes Asenka has pretty much sworn off the series (and yes that includes Injustice...).

Sorry guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

"- Before each bout, the two captains play a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors:

>>> The “LOSING” captain must announce his/her first player. The” WINNING” captain can then choose who he/she wants to face him/her.
    >>> After that the winner of the match stays, and the loser’s team can choose who they want to face him/her, and so on…

- Free character selection"

The UMvC3 Team rules seem very lenient.

It's last year's (not that they will change much) & kinda outdated, that & the website just got transferred to another server so don't search for anything new but what I c/p'ed on this thread: we're starting afresh!

there was people from at least 4 different countries in mk last year and from what i heard they were treated like a red headed step child

The beauty of WGC is that just means there were 4 people in the tournament. I had talked to French, Italian and Check people before we'd entered the building on the first morning. That's why it's awesome :)

Also played some Japanese scrub called Mago. He won't forget me or ladno in a hurry

• Advertisement

I was more a problem of MK9 needing an Internet connection to run with the DLC's & updates than anything (and Warner sending not Season Passes but Online Passes by mistake), but yes Asenka has pretty much sworn off the series (and yes that includes Injustice...).

Sorry guys...

i understand that could be a problem but if it was held on ps3 that problem would go away or even use the "komplete edition"

so if your saying "asenka" has sworn off the series and even as far as to take it to a game that hasnt be released yet that seems like it has nothing to do with it being run on xbox beeing the problem...bad form imo
    The beauty of WGC is that just means there were 4 people in the tournament. I had talked to French, Italian and Check people before we'd entered the building on the first morning. That's why it's awesome :)

Also played some Japanese scrub called Mago. He won't forget me or ladno in a hurry

yea id say it be cool getting to run into the "big guys" alright.
    would of liked to played ketchup & mustard.

dont know were your getting 4 people when i said there were people from four different countries,not a person from each.
    unless WGC has some weird ass rules to were 10 people from say ireland attend but it only counts as one person,im confused??? :confused:

The WGC is sponsored by Microsoft (has been since 2010). As for the Komplete Edition, we just run the tournament with what Warner sent us: they just sent us a bunch of vanilla MK9 & Online Passes, which wasn't very helpful, to say the least... (the blamed it on a trainee)

As for Asenka, he's a bit miffed that the players blamed us and not Warner...

-Yes we weren't prepared for the Online problems, it was our first time running the game and we underestimated the potential issues.
    -No they're were no bad intentions on our part, we REALLY did everything we could...

The WGC is sponsored by Microsoft (has been since 2010). As for the Komplete Edition, we just run the tournament with what Warner sent us: they just sent us a bunch of vanilla MK9 & Online Passes, which wasn't very helpful, to say the least... (the blamed it on a trainee)

As for Asenka, he's a bit miffed that the players blamed us and not Warner...

-Yes we weren't prepared for the Online problems, it was our first time running the game and we underestimated the potential issues.
    -No they're were no bad intentions on our part, we REALLY did everything we could...

ok i didnt know about the microsoft sponsorship, that would be a pretty big issue to over come. i understand more your position now.

also out of interest why didnt you contact NRS directly rather than going through warner? was it just that warner own NRS so you were just going to the top of the food chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

I'll most likely be up for this last year's trip was really great, gucci luggage bag tbc

As far as I know NetherRealm Studios has no representation in France, or in Europe.
    And as first timers we had no pull with the game developers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Well he might forget Ladno since he wandered off while Mago swung by our hotel room. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I'm sure he'll remember me.

Though I wish he wouldn't.

Also, sadness over no BB, but acceptance. Means I get to sink all my time into marvel instead :p

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

This event is INSANE

We should have a qualifier for this!!!

If we can send top 5 players from irealnd for ae and make up our best 5v5 team possible for WGC that would hit europe hard, i think we could do VERY well in that, also 3v3 and solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Instead of being a dick about this like I was last year, I think I'll provisionally say that I'll be going. It'll be great craic I'm sure. Just have to check up on funds for it though. Any folks from last year can advise on how to go about the accomodation? Flights? And the kind of cost the whole thing will be in total?

@Voa: We will most likely add another Arcsys game later down the line (be it BB or GG). (and yes we'll add other games too, even before the poll)

@ladnopoka: The goal is to have local tournament organizers run as many qualifiers/tourneys/ladders as possible to have more players, more movement between communities (sponsored players WILL come grab those elusive seeding points), more national teams, well more fun overall ^^.

@Junsuina Chikara: The cheapest hotels/residences are still the same three (with the "Festival des Jeux" pass phrase ^^)

Verrerie: http://www.maeva.com/fr-fr/location-ete-cannes-verrerie_CSL-E_fp
    Beach: http://www.pierreetvacances.com/fr-fr/location-ete-cannes-beach_BCL-E_fp

and Francia: http://www.pierreetvacances.com/fr-fr/location-ete-cannes-francia_CFL-E_fp

Francia is a few bus stops from the other two, but even though it's cheaper and classier most players will rather go to one of the others (easier to find your bed after a few drunken casuals, and the pizza shop & bakery are closer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Every year I tell myself I'm going to get totally awesome at everything and go to Cannes next year.

Never happens, hell I bet I posted this in last years thread. :pac:

It's certainly the most fun I generally have with the fighting game calender.

Also a super cheap way for the likes of us to meet Daigo, Eita, Tokido, Mago, Fuudo, Ryan Hart, Dieminion and Mr KoF (This'd be a list of the people I'd met personally. Guess you could throw Kayane in there too. I think she was very suprised to be playing an Irish person. lol)

It's rare to come back without some awesome stories, too. Highlight of the last trip would be getting to play Team Japan with Ladno and Sai in our pool's semi final (Ladno and I had just OCVed a team each so obviously it was Sai's turn. He let us down), the look on Tokido's face when I explained there's a guy in Ireland who needs to study more, and the look on Ladno's when he realised he'd just missed Mago chilling out in our room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

It's rare to come back without some awesome stories, too. Highlight of the last trip would be getting to play Team Japan with Ladno and Sai in our pool's semi final (Ladno and I had just OCVed a team each so obviously it was Sai's turn. He let us down), the look on Tokido's face when I explained there's a guy in Ireland who needs to study more, and the look on Ladno's when he realised he'd just missed Mago chilling out in our room.
    There was other things at WGC aside from the early access Skullgirls setup? News to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Sairus wrote: »
    There was other things at WGC aside from the early access Skullgirls setup? News to me.

You were in another room at the time.

Booking the Wednesday flight for myself, Eoghan, Voa, Siobhan(Voa's GF), Paul and Dark Talant this evening. Holding off booking hotel till i'm certain we're all staying in the same one as last year, but we'll be taking a six person room between us. Those flights are currently €125 return btw, and they won't be getting any cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'll book my own flight, but if I could get on someone's room booking, that would be awesome.

I can't even start thinking about booking anything til the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

i want to go this year again, want to know who is actually going? when are people booking flights, hotel etc...

Everyone has to go there! Best Place EVER!

ladnopoka wrote: »
    i want to go this year again, want to know who is actually going? when are people booking flights, hotel etc...

Myself, voa, darktalant, Paul, my bf eoghan and nialls gf Siobhan are booked on the wednesday flight. Haven't bookedthe hotel yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

ladnopoka wrote: »

I'll know much closer to the time. Can't plan that far ahead with a job.

Advertisement