Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlast

Options
  • 17-10-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

And people said survival horror was dead. :)

Outlast is a new survival horror coming to the PC via Steam next Summer. It's being made by a new dev team called Red Barrels which features former ex-Ubisoft and EA folks, probably from the surrounding Montreal area.

It's early days yet but I'm liking what I see in that trailer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Three words, Dead Island trailer!

But if the game does turn out to be anything like this, I'd be very interested. They seem to have gone for a sort of Mirror's Edge look with the first person view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I do hope the enemies are more imaginative than the ones seen in the trailer. They just look like the grunts from Shadows Of The Deamned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Anyone else go for this? I'm downloading now. It's getting some solid reviews.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/outlast
    Went for it with the discount with 5 minutes left to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Yep, bought it last night hoping for a midnight unlock, didnt happen.. dL@ing now =]

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks like a solid survival game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/j14pjv/outlast-review

Funny thing: lots of male " Gentleman sausages " in game, but no one screaming about the "degrading poor man in video games". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Outlast is the stuff of nightmares. They have fused that movie REC with Amnesia with Silent Hill with mental asylums.

I thought Amnesia was bad, but this is on another level.

For €20 its not cheap, so make sure if your buying it that your prepared for it. The gameplay is very smooth and intuitive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Funny thing: lots of male " Gentleman sausages " in game, but no one screaming about the "degrading poor man in video games". :rolleyes:

This will explain if for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I really don't do horror games but thinking of getting into this one. Jumping in at the deep end or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dammit, read the title as Outcast and for a sweet second thought we'd be getting an update or sequel to the PC classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Tinie wrote: »
    Outlast is the stuff of nightmares. They have fused that movie REC with Amnesia with Silent Hill with mental asylums.

I thought Amnesia was bad, but this is on another level.

For €20 its not cheap, so make sure if your buying it that your prepared for it. The gameplay is very smooth and intuitive also.

its scarier than amnesia?

i shall need new trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

folan wrote: »
    its scarier than amnesia?

i shall need new trousers.

Then you'll be the only one in the game with trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Spear wrote: »
    Then you'll be the only one in the game with trousers.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So how just degraded did you feel at seeing an imaginary willy? On, say, a scale of 1-10?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sarky wrote: »
    So how just degraded did you feel at seeing an imaginary willy? On, say, a scale of 1-10?

About 8++, the image of pixilated willy is haunting my dreams. I cannot go to sleep unless I drink a bottle of vodka. I am not just offended by that, but that pixilated willy destroyed my marriage, I cant look in to my partners eyes anymore, I became alcoholic too. I have already contacted my solicitors and law suit is going through. I am fighting not just for myself, I am fighting for you! Common male gamer! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is free on ps+ for ps4. Absolutely class! Reminds me of the film Grave Encounters which was brilliant.

Just started playing this game earlier and it is excellent, well worth checking out.

If you like horror games you will love this (Be warned it is genuinely scary though and will make you jump).
    I can honestly say I got quite a scare from simply opening a door a few minutes into the game!

Using the nightvision on your camcorder to allow you to see in the dark is pretty cool and also quite creepy. I am already looking forward to continuing my journey through Mount Massive Asylum but at the same time dreading what I will encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Guys is this one any use? See it's out today for xbox one albeit with a hefty price tag 19.99 + 8.99 for a "whistleblower dlc"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭wayne040576

calex71 wrote: »
    Guys is this one any use? See it's out today for xbox one albeit with a hefty price tag 19.99 + 8.99 for a "whistleblower dlc"

Get the main game for 20 anyways. It's worth a run through. The early levels are good but like most survival horror games, it falls slightly towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Get the main game for 20 anyways. It's worth a run through. The early levels are good but like most survival horror games, it falls slightly towards the end.

Yeah I did like the look of it , I guess the US store will make the price more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

calex71 wrote: »

It's been around 5 dollars on humble, gog etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Its an amazing game alright, one of the best horror experiences ive played in the least few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I started it a while ago but didn't get too far, must go back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I love horror movies and books but 30 mins at a time of this is enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Sorry if I'm dragging up a dead thread. Picked up this with the dlc fairly cheap. Playing it with the gf. Great game so far! Loads of "jump" scare moments. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants nightmares!

Advertisement