Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short break to NY in March/April

Options
  • 17-10-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to go away to NY for a few days in late March or early April and I'm trying to find a reasonable price but everywhere I've looked so far has been a bit too expensive. Has anybody got any recommendations?
    It'll be myself and the gf going over and we're thinking if going for maybe 4 or 5 days and so far the cheapest price I've gotten has been €2300, which is way too steep. Believe it or not, I was even quoted over €9k from one website!! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you trying to book an all-in package? Most people who go to NYC book their own flights and hotel separately, you don't need a travel agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you trying to book an all-in package? Most people who go to NYC book their own flights and hotel separately, you don't need a travel agent.

I was looking through travel agents first of all and that's where I got a few crazy prices. Then I looked into flights and hotels seperately and it's still fairly expensive. I'm not sure if it's the dates I'm looking at or something but it's always working out at over 2 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

March 31st 2013 is Easter Sunday so I'd definitely avoid that w/e plus bear in mind that most Manhattan hotels are busy all year round and bargains are hard to come by. The schools over here will be off from about Wed or Thu of Holy Week and all of the following week so you need to avoid that period or pay top dollar for flights from Dublin.

I'd avoid travel agents and shop around for the best deals on flights and hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Dean09 wrote: »
    I'm looking to go away to NY for a few days in late March or early April and I'm trying to find a reasonable price but everywhere I've looked so far has been a bit too expensive. Has anybody got any recommendations?
    It'll be myself and the gf going over and we're thinking if going for maybe 4 or 5 days and so far the cheapest price I've gotten has been €2300, which is way too steep. Believe it or not, I was even quoted over €9k from one website!! :eek:

A decent hotel is manhattan all in is going to approx 200 euro a night, return flights In a slightly off speak time are gona be approx 500 euro return each so 1800/ 2000 (4/5 nights) is really the minimum u can expect to think

Ny is not the place to try and get to and do on the cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Have you considered an apartment? - Ive stayed in one (all be it 5 of us) for around
    350 USD for a week.

Check out craigslist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

You can get 5 nights, flights and accommodation in central Manhattan for around 750 each (Wolcott Hotel, has good reviews) with ebookers - going from Thurs 28 March to April 2nd.

Advertisement