Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I was talking to mum about shopping on the high street

• 17-10-2012 5:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I see nothing wrong in the thread title, spoken like a true Irishman.
    Some people however see a red rag & need raise their flaming torches in the name of Padraic Pearse.
    Lets have it so, I'm ready for your slings & arrows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

So long as you don't say "mom", I'm happy.

Did Pádraig Pearse prefer out of town retail parks or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Some people however see a red rag & need raise their flaming torches in the name of Padraic Pearse.

GTFO :mad: *

*IDK why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

It might tweak it's way into Irish vocabulary. Do you want a Blue Peter Badge for your efforts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Padraic Pearse hated people who talked about mothers. It's a well known fact and was documented in the old Irish rebel song "Shut yer face if you're talking about the Brits or talking about my auld lady"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I don't think Ive ever heard anyone Irish say "Mum"
    It just has to be "Mam", "Ma" or "the Mammy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's your mum wearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

As far as I'm concerned people who give a **** about such idle matters have very little to be thinking about....in all in anyways. :p
    Seriously though, who really cares.
    Isn't it great we're not all the same, loike. :D *gets coat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Off off 'av an early bath mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What did she say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

That's perfectly alright. There's probably 'High Streets' in nearly every town in Ireland and obviously your Mum is English!:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

FFS "Mum" (or if you're a total wanker, "Mummy") is an exclusive. It's a fcuking NAME. You can only refer to your damn mother as "Mum" when you are talking to someone who is also one of her fcuking offspring...OR...the guy she married.
    I all other situations you have to refer to her as "MY" Mum.

Can you just walk up to a total stranger in the street and say "Excuse me, can you ring mum?"
    No you bloody-well can't, you feckin' mama's boy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

So long as you don't say "mom", I'm happy.

I routinely say mom. I feel stupid saying mam like I'm more of a culchie than what I already am.

And "mum" is just English talk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I hope she told you to make sure you had your condoms with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What did she say?

Go start a thread in AH about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Agricola wrote: »
    I remember being in stitches when my cousin who spent his early childhood (he was about 9 then) in the Isle of Man asked his mother "Mum, where is my pump bag?" This in front of a kitchen full of cousins and aunts from Lurgan, Co. Armagh. After several minutes of general hilarity his ma had to translate for us "for God's sake someone give him his gutty bag." Bag being pronounced "Bayyyyg" in those parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Is this a reference to his sexual preferences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I always thought 'mum' was more child-talk. Everybody around me referred to their 'mum' when growing up but I rarely hear anybody say it now as an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I remember being in stitches when my cousin who spent his early childhood (he was about 9 then) in the Isle of Man asked his mother "Mum, where is my pump bag?" This in front of a kitchen full of cousins and aunts from Lurgan, Co. Armagh. After several minutes of general hilarity his ma had to translate for us "for God's sake someone give him his gutty bag." Bag being pronounced "Bayyyyg" in those parts.
    Now you'll have to go and explain 'gutty'.

Also don't you think it's a wee bit funny for persons of a northern extraction making fun of other people's accents? Would ya catch yerself on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

You`re having a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

h2005 wrote: »
    You`re having a laugh

No!

e's 'avin a larf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Which High Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

in town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I was talking to mum about shopping on the high street

Not much shopping on High Street in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Using 'highstreet' is retarded. It's akin to saying 'sidewalk' - there's absolutely no reason for it unless you make a conscious decision to start using it.

OP? What would you talk to mumsy about if there is no High street?

What if its only main Street?

:confused: I dont get it?

Whats a gutty bag? And why would saying pump bag be so funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

This shoite is bad news.

Tis "mum" one week and tis "scouse moy moite, con i hauve a point o bih-ah ploise" the next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Agricola wrote: »

Plenty say Mum, but 'Mom' just sounds sooo American!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

If I heard someone using the phrase in the OP I'd just assume they were a Brit-tv obsessed x-factor zombie and probably wouldn't be too interested in hearing them talk anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Sooo...did they end up in Ann Summers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Wow. A chance for a let's bash Britain thread. Amazing and original.

summerskin wrote: »
    Wow. A chance for a let's bash Britain thread. Amazing and original.

Ok :) You start..........GO!

Surprised Seanchai hasn't got stuck in by now :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Chucken wrote: »
    :confused: I dont get it?

Whats a gutty bag? And why would saying pump bag be so funny?
    A gutty is a runner or trainer.

It was funny because it was like he was speaking some foreign language to us native savages. He kept going "mum, mum! Wheres my pump bag?" and we were going "Wha?" What's he looking for?" Even some 30 years later it's still funny to look back on. I think that was the first time I had ever heard someone not on TV call their ma mum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

The same people would be quick to point out that it's either Patrick Pearse or Pádraig MacPiarais. He did not mix English and Irish it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I have pretty much as much of a culchie backround as you can get (Middle child growing up on a farm in Clare with all brothers... We had the whole Grandparents living next door, cattle, donkeys and hens in at the back of the house etc), and in our house, when small, our parents were Mom and Dad... "Mam" was my Dad's mother, and "Da" was my grandfather... We asked the folks where did we get "Mom" from since all the neighbouring kids used to say "Mam" or "Ma"; apparently my eldest brother used to love watching Dallas as a kid and picked up some Americanisms... To avoid all slagging we got over the issue at school, the parents have been "Mary and Dad" since we were like 9.... So, yeah, there's nothing wrong with saying "Mum" or "Mom" in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

No one refers to town/city centre shopping as the high street in Ireland it just not done.

However i have heard the word trash meaning rubbish being used more frequently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

vektarman wrote: »
    Sooo...did they end up in Ann Summers...

Not too far off, Pearse was notorious for buying dresses "for his mother". He'd wear them once then return them to the shop for a refund. Thus the phrase "padricked" was brought into use as in "I'm not bleedin wearing tha ha, it looks padricked".

True story, read it in a history book..... somewhere at the back.... in handwriting..... seemed legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't think I've ever heard an English person use the phrase in conversation either. It's more of a media thing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

no, he was more of an online order person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I think he preferred boutiques, seeing as he was slightly less heterosexual then previously believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

What's this thread about? Seriously? I must be missing something, it's gone flying over my head quicker than Felix Baumgartner. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SiegHeilNosey

*Patrick Pearse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I don't think I've ever heard an English person use the phrase in conversation either. It's more of a media thing really.

is it like "sicth" instead of "sixth" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

They call it the mane street in Portlaoise, and the more ya see of it, the maner it looks.:):)

Patrick Pearse

That's right, the grandfather of famous English footballer Stuart Pearse also known as 'psyco' ;)

http://scottishcomedyfc.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/stuart-pearce.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

FFS "Mum" (or if you're a total wanker, "Mummy") is an exclusive. It's a fcuking NAME. You can only refer to your damn mother as "Mum" when you are talking to someone who is also one of her fcuking offspring...OR...the guy she married.
    I all other situations you have to refer to her as "MY" Mum.

Can you just walk up to a total stranger in the street and say "Excuse me, can you ring mum?"
    No you bloody-well can't, you feckin' mama's boy!

Thank you. I thought that I was the only one who ever noticed this shite.

On a side note, I suggest we all just refer to our mothers as 'Mumsie'.
    *Patrick Pearse

Yes, also known as Pádraig Pearse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I find it incredibly strange to hear grown men and women referring to their "mammy" and "daddy".

Wife's cousin, who is close to thirty, was last week telling us how she was going to take Daddy out for a drink while Mammy looked after her son. Sounded fúcking weird, surely only little kids should use mammy/mummy/mommy and daddy????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Since i was a kid I've always called my mother, mum. Most of my friends use that word too. Never realised others thought there was anything unusual about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement