Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I was talking to mum about shopping on the high street

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

surprised no one has offered to bring yore ma shoppping for you

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SiegHeilNosey

Yes, also known as Pádraig Pearse.

I was joking... based on the op dig at overly reactive republicans... nevermind

But since you replied.. he never referred to himself as Pádraig Pearse. It was either Pádraig Mac Piarais or Patrick Pearse.

My name is neil for example.. i go bananas when people refer to me as Niall, its not my name. If you havent got one of them easily mixupable names, youll never understand :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I was joking... based on the op dig at overly reactive republicans... nevermind

But since you replied.. he never referred to himself as Pádraig Pearse. It was either Pádraig Mac Piarais or Patrick Pearse.

My name is neil for example.. i go bananas when people refer to me as Niall, its not my name. If you havent got one of them easily mixupable names, youll never understand :pac:

Oops! :o

A name such as Ciarán/Kieran. I see hear it all the time people of that name.

However, people regularly call me by the Irish version of my name. Doesn't bother me. In fact I use it for my email address as Topper* is such a common name that it was impossible to get a decent email address with it. But then it's not an easily mixupable name, so not exactly the same thing.

* Not real life name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm very close to my folks but I've called both my parents by their first names since I was about twelve, many years ago.

People always looked taken aback by it but I find it cringeworthy to hear people in their twenties talking about mummy and daddy. They have names. Use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

mummypoos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Chucken wrote: »
    No!

e's 'avin a larf

nah...he's avin a giraffe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I don't see a problem with using the term "high street" as there's no Irish alternative for it really, as we've only had the British "high street" shops here for about 15 years. What else would you call it?

To me the term means the collective name for all the usual British chain-stores - Topshop, Boots, Marks & Spencer, etc,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I don't see a problem with using the term "high street" as there's no Irish alternative for it really, as we've only had the British "high street" shops here for about 15 years. What else would you call it?
    Ireland's generic term for a town's primary shopping street has always been "the main street"!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I use it for my email address as Topper* is such a common name

Is the Anglicised version "Sharpener"? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

No one refers to town/city centre shopping as the high street in Ireland it just not done.
    Except in Killarney and Galway.
    However i have heard the word trash meaning rubbish being used more frequently!

Even by that noted Yankee Bill Shakespeare:
    Othello wrote:
    Iago:
    Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
    Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him,
    And makes me poor indeed.

Advertisement