Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project

Options
  • 17-10-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, Got my brief for my engineering today and its to design and make a crane game that has table tennis balls as its payload. I am unsure of what components I will need but I have an idea in mind.

I hope to control the crane using a joystick. There will be 5 scoring slots that will differ in points value and a sensor in each slot that will automatically add to points to a scoreboard. Could i use a series seven segment display as a scoreboard. Will this be difficult to program?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Will this be difficult to program?
    Depends on the platform you're using and the language. With something like a basic stamp or an arduino, not really. In assembly on a PIC? Maybe a bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sparks wrote: »
    Depends on the platform you're using and the language. With something like a basic stamp or an arduino, not really. In assembly on a PIC? Maybe a bit :D

My teacher was suggesting the use of a picaxe?

It's sortof a basic stamp clone if I'm reading this right. Should still be a lot easier than doing things in assembly, but there are easier things to use out there if you have a choice.

It's sortof a basic stamp clone if I'm reading this right. Should still be a lot easier than doing things in assembly, but there are easier things to use out there if you have a choice.
    I can use any standard basic components (No ready made kits)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

What have you goy so far? I have a book about programming these microcontrollers. It covers circuits and the code needed to run them. Your welcome to it if its any good to you.

• Advertisement

I can use any standard basic components (No ready made kits)
    Does that include development boards?
    ie. can you use something like these:
    21396-28158-l.jpg

309871.image1.jpg

PIC18_Dev_Example.jpg

28138-L.jpg

Or is it really a handfull of chips, some wire, a soldering gun and a prayer?

I have nothing yet, Need to design it first on solidworks. I was thinking of using suction to lift the ball ,

I forgot to add that all components must be visible without dismantling, (Gonna use Clear acrylic)

Does that include development boards?
    ie. can you use something like these:
    21396-28158-l.jpg

309871.image1.jpg

PIC18_Dev_Example.jpg

28138-L.jpg

Or is it really a handfull of chips, some wire, a soldering gun and a prayer?

Ill ask him that tomorrow, He said the use of printed circuit board was ok.

I have nothing yet, Need to design it first on solidworks. I was thinking of using suction to lift the ball ,

I forgot to add that all components must be visible without dismantling, (Gonna use Clear acrylic)

What year are you in and what course are you doing? Solidworks is for mechanical design not electronic design. PCB123 is free and its easy to use. I also have a PICAXE16F development board that you can have if your allowed to use it.

The code for controlling the display is pretty standard and is included in the book. Its also easy to find online. You could use proximity switchs to indicate the ball landed in a hole and advance the score accordingly. You will need motors to control the crane and buttons or a joystick. For suction you will need either a vacuum pump of compressed air with a Venturi tube. All in all its going to take some time and research!

Offy wrote: »

What year are you in and what course are you doing? Solidworks is for mechanical design not electronic design. PCB123 is free and its easy to use. I also have a PICAXE16F development board that you can have if your allowed to use it.

The code for controlling the display is pretty standard and is included in the book. Its also easy to find online. You could use proximity switchs to indicate the ball landed in a hole and advance the score accordingly. You will need motors to control the crane and buttons or a joystick. For suction you will need either a vacuum pump of compressed air with a Venturi tube. All in all its going to take some time and research!

This is for Leaving Cert Engineering!

• Advertisement

This is for Leaving Cert Engineering!

DOH!!!!

Offy wrote: »

DOH!!!!

I know, I would have preferred some sort of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 evantwomey94

we got the briefs today, was banking on a vehicle :/ this is gonna be a tough one but interesting !! wiring a scoreboard is gonna be a balls :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

we got the briefs today, was banking on a vehicle :/ this is gonna be a tough one but interesting !! wiring a scoreboard is gonna be a balls :(

Wiring a score board, I pity you! I used to work as an Electrician and know how painful that can be.

Itzy wrote: »

Wiring a score board, I pity you! I used to work as an Electrician and know how painful that can be.

A seven segment display would work wouldn't it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Yeah you could use the 7 segment display. You'll need to write some code for it though.

Is code difficult? Anywhere online i could practice

Would this connected to an air compressor create a sufficient vacuum?

Norgren M/58112

• Registered Users Posts: 32 padraig100

wiring a score board?? are you not getting a bit complicated?? it just has to be a scoring system? doesnt necessarily have to show or keep track of your score? does it?

• Advertisement

you only have 9 volts of power aswell?

Would a modified abacus suffice :P

i'm going to work on the assumption that the examiner using my project has fingers to count on and is educated enough to add them up him/herself! :) but the abacus idea is good! :P

padraig100 wrote: »
    i'm going to work on the assumption that the examiner using my project has fingers to count on and is educated enough to add them up him/herself! :) but the abacus idea is good! :P

I must tell the abacus idea to my teacher and post his response!

Advertisement