Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I over reacting?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi All.

I may be over reacting to my current issue so I wanted to run it buy you guys for a sanity check.

Firstly, as a bit of a back story, our company recently had some redundancies. 2 weeks later our MD resigned so the atmosphere in the office is a bit down and motivation is low. To address this our senior management have organised team building day which will be combined with our Xmas party and it’s going to be a meeting to thrash out some ideas and take a look at how we can move forward as a closer team, giving everyone the opportunity to contribute to our business plan for next year with a view to allowing all staff to have more ownership in the company and buy into the goals. There has been much emphasis on this being a “fully collaborative” meeting and they are bringing all of our offices together so we can all be a part of this day.

However, this has been organised on a day I’m on leave. I’m not on holiday, I have to take leave for personal reasons and my boss is aware of this. When I found out I sent a friendly e-mail to the powers that be to remind them I wouldn’t be around. Those e-mails have not be acknowledged.

I will be the only member of the entire regional team not involved so I feel quite upset about this. I am quite senior (middle management) and I think my views should be considered, especially as so much has been made of this being a chance for every voice to be heard. There are also some teambuilding activities going on over the next few weeks leading up to the meeting so the fact that I won’t be participating is very evident even now and it’s actually quite upsetting.

The issue is not that we are unable to find a date that suits evryone, in fact just one week later we have a full team available.

I feel like I want to call a meeting with my boss to voice my unhappiness but nobody else seems to thinks it’s a big deal – is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I can appreciate that you are upset about this situation and want to be involved in the company, however a company and that is every company will not revolve it time around you, nobody is that important apart from the directors.

If you so badly want to be there then you have to make the choice of what is more important - your family or you job....if you want in its on their terms not yours and there is no I in team

By all means go speak to your superiors and voice you concerns and express your desire to be there, but I fear you will be told what I have just said

Also how do you know that all the team is available the following week, do you also know the diary of senior management, or the other offices and their seniors, your middle management and I am sure you dont know what your superiors diary are like, so its up to you to fit into their plans and not the other way around, as I said no employee is that important

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Teasey

Thanks for the reply

I actually do know that everyone is available the week after. We have a policy of sharing our diaries so that everyone can see who's in or out. Even the CEO! However that's not really my point.

I suppose I should say that the entire regional team now consists of 15 people after the redundancies. The whole point of the meeting is to let us know that "it's all going to be ok" after the turmoil of the last few months. They have made a point of this being an opportunity for us all to come together as a team and for the senior management to reassure us that we're valued members of that team. So if that's the whole purpose of the meeting it's a little counter-productive to leave someone out no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Oh I completely agree that is is counter productive and as there is only 15 of you its easy enough to accommodate everyone and not leave anyone out. Yes it is unfair and and as its a small company and not a big machine where you are just a little cog then by all means go and speak to you manager and see if there is anyway the meeting can be rearranged. Again I dont know your company and depending on how important they view you they may agree to do this.

I dont think your over reacting under the circumstances my only concern for you would be that they may see you as not being flexible to the needs of the company. Its such a fine line really and I think it all depends on your relationship with your manager and if they are approachable and will see your general concern on the matter, also that you are a team player but through circumstances outside of your control you really are not available on this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Teasey

Thanks again.

I think I will mention it. I don't even expect them to rearrange, as you said nobody is that important. I just think a little more thought could have gone into it in the first place. I get on well with my boss and she knows I'm a team player. She also knows the details of why I'm not around-believe me its not something anyone would ever choose to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

There may be a sub text here. I am assuming that your diary was available to others when the date was chosen, so they knew that you would not be able to attend.

If the team building is being assisted by an outside expert, then it may be that the outside staff were only available on that day. You can check this by phoning them (not from work) and asking if they are available the following week.

If it is all internal staff, then this date was chosen deliberately. It may be one manager who dislikes you, or you may be next in line for redundancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Equality wrote: »
    There may be a sub text here. I am assuming that your diary was available to others when the date was chosen, so they knew that you would not be able to attend.

If the team building is being assisted by an outside expert, then it may be that the outside staff were only available on that day. You can check this by phoning them (not from work) and asking if they are available the following week.

If it is all internal staff, then this date was chosen deliberately. It may be one manager who dislikes you, or you may be next in line for redundancy.

Hate to say it, but that was my thought when I read the post.

You're senior, you're being left out - and you needed to come here to ask for advice? Kinda doesn't add up.

Let's hope Equaliy is right, and that it's to do with outside people's availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Yes, this is common practice in some workplaces.

If someone feels threatened by you (or that one of their relatives might enjoy your job) they will try to sideline you. Ensuring you cannot attend a critical meeting is part of this. It allows those who do attend the meeting to criticise you, and people who were previously friendly may become cautious and reluctant to interact with you. People may be aware that there are more job losses to come, and they are trying to ensure that it is someone else (you) who resigns/is made redundant.

Not surprisingly it can damage a business. I have seen this type of thing happen. The 'target' is usually someone who is competent, and in many cases when they leave they start a business which is in competition with their previous employer. The previous employer is usually in trouble anyway, and the competition from a former employee usuallly finishes them off. It can be a great opportunity to start your own business, but it can also be a lot of hassle.

It is best to attend the meeting, if you can manage to do so. If you can't attend, make sure to chat to as many of those who attend as you possibly can, to get a sense of what happened at the meeting.

Advertisement