Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC internet share

• 17-10-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi.

I'm in a rented flat with UPC broadband using a Thomson THG520 cable modem with 1 ethernet port. My idea was to share the internet wireless using a Belkin SURF N300 wireless router, but I'm unable to do it!

The wireless router doesn't detect the cable modem!

Anyone using this kind of config? How can I do it?

Thanks,
    Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Connect the Thomson cable modem to the brlkin routers WAN port.
    Connect your PC to the belkin lan ports..

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jmike72

Connect the Thomson cable modem to the brlkin routers WAN port.
    Connect your PC to the belkin lan ports..

I've made that but the router doesn't connect to the cable modem! Even Belkin setup can't connect to the cable modem and always get the orange light for no connection!

Don't understand what could be wrong as it should be automatic!

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

jmike72 wrote: »

I've made that but the router doesn't connect to the cable modem! Even Belkin setup can't connect to the cable modem and always get the orange light for no connection!

Don't understand what could be wrong as it should be automatic!

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Log onto the settings page on the belkin and look for WAN settings....set it to DHCP / AUTOMATIC.
    UPC use automatic IP addresses so you don't Ned a static one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Try do a reset on the Belkin router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

jmike72 wrote: »
    Hi.

I'm in a rented flat with UPC broadband using a Thomson THG520 cable modem with 1 ethernet port. My idea was to share the internet wireless using a Belkin SURF N300 wireless router, but I'm unable to do it!

The wireless router doesn't detect the cable modem!

Anyone using this kind of config? How can I do it?

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi
    Please see this which I found on the Digiweb website. As you are using the Thompson THG 520 this might be help to you, as they currently use it for their Metro service.
    Wireless Router Installation: Basic Setup
    Overview
    This document provides a general instruction to assist the installation of a standard / typical wireless router.

What You Need
    Broadband Internet connection:
    Digiweb Broadband is fully compatible with the use of Wireless Routers. However, please bear in mind that we can provide only limited Support for 3rd party hardware problems.
    Wireless router:
    The router converts signals from your Internet connection into a wireless broadcast, thus enabling you to wirelessly connect your PC / Laptop to the Internet.
    Wireless network adapter:
    This enables your computer to connect to the wireless router. Newer computers and laptops commonly come with this feature built in. In this case, you won't need to purchase an adapter. If your desktop does not have one, purchase a USB wireless network adapter, and for a laptop purchase a PC card network adapter.
    Installing Your Router
    Since there are many brands of routers, the ports on your particular router may be labeled differently. Refer to your equipment's original documentation for additional assistance.
    Step 1-Unplug Modem (i.e. the modem supplied to you by UPC).
    Turn off your broadband Internet modem by unplugging it.
    Step 2-Unplug Network Cable.
    Unplug your network cable from your computer and plug it into your router in the port label "Internet," "WAN," or "WLAN on your wireless router.
    Step 3-Plug-In Modem.
    Plug-in your modem and give it a few minutes to connect to the Internet again.
    Step 4-Plug-In Router.
    Plug-in your wireless router. After a couple more minutes, the "Internet," "WAN," or "WLAN" light on the front of your wireless router should light up - signaling that it has connected to your modem.
    Step 5-Configure Router.
    Next you will need to configure your router. Temporarily connect your computer to one of the open ports on your router using the cable that came with your router. Open a browser and type in the address that came with your router to configure it. Refer to your router's instruction manual if you are prompted for a username and/or password (below is listed the default usernames / passwords for some of the more common Wireless routers).
    You will be taken to a configuration page for your router. Generally the default settings are fine, but you should do three things:
    • Set your Network Name (often called the SSID): Create a name to identify your network.
    • Set the network to WEP or WPA: this will help protect your wireless network. You may need to set a pass-phrase, but you will not need to memorize it.
    • Set the Password: set a secure password for your network with a combination of letters and numbers.
    After these steps are completed, save the settings (click ok, save or apply).
    Step 6-Connect to the Internet.
    Connect your computer to the Internet. Your computer should show an icon saying that it has found a wireless connection. Right click on the icon to View Available Wireless Networks. You should see your network listed in the window that appears. Select it and you will be prompted for your password that you just set up. Enter the password, then click connect. Your connection should be online.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 jmike72

It's working now.

Don't ask what new things I've done, cause I have done the same thing like yesterday (plug the cable modem cable to the wan port and connect the router), but today it has decided to turn the light to blue, meaning a connection was made.

Thanks,
    Mike

Advertisement