Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strangest/funniest/worst reactions to your piercings or tattoos?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

the other day I had a guy ask me if my piercings hurt, I told him only when they were going in, and then he asked if they weren't awkward. nope, I says and hurried along. :o not the most extreme reaction I've gotten by far, but there was something about the way he was asking, he didn't approve and wanted to tell me. still, not as blunt as some people who've told me my piercings were disgusting, that I was mutilating myself and I'm ruining my pretty face. once got asked if I worshipped the devil :p

what the strangest/funniest/worst reactions folks here have got from your piercings or tattoos?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

The only one of my piercings that ever gets a reaction is my nape. People are generally quite disgusted by that :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

My fúcking Bridge!! If one more person tells me it must have hurt :mad:

Melion wrote: »
    My fúcking Bridge!! If one more person tells me it must have hurt :mad:

Did it hurt getting that done?

/leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

People always ask me if my septum hurt. Damn right it did! :L

But generally I don't get much of a reaction, even when I've told people about my vch they've been fine. Probably because I'm selective about who I tell of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

My older sister told me I look like a 'butch lesbian' because of the placement of my tattoos. Apparently inside left forearm and inside of both calves, near the ankle, are 'gay' places for putting tattoos. I think she might also be a little homophobic. :pac: Or just jealous, because her tattoo is the smallest tatt I've ever seen because she was in so much pain that she made them stop, and never went back. :pac:

I've also gotten more than one person ask me 'what the fúck is that fúckin' language on yer tattoo?' (It's Irish, just one word). Before I get a chance to answer, I had one guy rant at me for not being patriotic because I didn't get my tattoo done in English, since it's my first language (according to him), and instead got 'some bleedin' foreign language.' I pointed out that it is in Irish and I am Irish and speak Irish in my day to day life with friends, and he walked away. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I find it quite funny when people learn about my piercing, especially guys, they wince and usually cross their legs or something equally defensive/protective! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The time my boyfriend almost fainted while I was getting pierced :pac:

Yeah and when you tell girls about your piercings and they immediately hold their boobs and wince!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Strangers are always slapping me they think it's hilarious to say "you have something on you" like I didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I have been told my tats make me too 'butch lesbiany' WTF like. Then a reglious woman I know got a bit tut tut (but not judgemental, she is to ok to do that) that I got a Chinese Starsign symbol on my neck.

The funniest though was this other religious woman when I got whatever piercing it was at the time (or it may have been a tat, I lost track :o) who went apo at me doing that to my body and that it says in the bible about not defiling your body!!! I was nearly in stitches laughing at her. She doesn't like tattoos or piercings (like lip etc) so she tries throwing the bible in my face but just makes herself look the moron and hypocrytical at that cos she has her damn ears pierced. So surely she is just the same as me! Twat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I have the ghost-busters symbol on my foot! got it done as part of a friday the 13th special as a bit of fun!! I get so many mixed reactions when i show it!! very funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

wondering if my stretched septum was real while i had a straw through it and drinking ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I once had a girl scream at me and hide behind her friend, her friend had to make sure my insects weren't real as the one was extremely aracnaphobic.(spelling?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Weirdest for me was on a night out, standing there minding my own business when a woman walks over and without saying a word lifted up the sleeve of my t-shirt and starts kissing my tattoo, I was just stood there looking bemused with my drink in my hand when she stopped she just said I lovee your tattoo, not that I have a problem with female attention :) it was certainly a unique appraoch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I find it quite funny when people learn about my piercing, especially guys, they wince and usually cross their legs or something equally defensive/protective! :D

One of the guys at uni knew about mine and mentioned it to all the other friends we were sitting with. As usually happens, people were curious and asking questions about it, but one guys had his head in his hands just saying "no no no no no no no no no no no no no"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Sofaspud wrote: »
    but one guys had his head in his hands just saying "no no no no no no no no no no no no no"

Did he ever get beyond this to explain what his issue was?

I feel quite left out with this thread as I've never had any unusual reactions. Mine aren't seen so it's only been friends that would generally see mine and most of them have their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Orim wrote: »
    Did he ever get beyond this to explain what his issue was?

He didn't want to hear much detail about my prince albert :P

He especially didn't like hearing that my two previous rings from it now reside in my left ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Not so much unusual, but I hate the way people think they can just grab and twist your arm or whatever to look...

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

The usual... "ah how are you going to feel about that when you're real old?"

Fcuk off...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    The usual... "ah how are you going to feel about that when you're real old?"

Fcuk off...

Best reply:

tumblr_m9c15jbJnH1r5dabho1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

After having a heated argument with my sister's teacher today over my sister being bullied, I was told by the teacher that I am a terrible influence to her for having tattoos (she saw the one on my arm) and listening to rock music (I had a Children of Bodom halterneck on) and that I'm setting a 'depressing' example to her and that I will never get a decent job because nobody will hire me with tattoos.

I was pretty happy to be able to explain to her that I have been working since I was 15 years old, have college education and that I already have a job offer as a Criminal Psychologist once I finish college, despite my ever changing hair colour, body mods and love of heavy metal. I then pointed out that at least my tattoos mean something - can she say the same about punching holes in her ears in order to dangle bits of plastic and feather out of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

When I got my Goldfinch tat done, my folks liked it after the first and second session.

The artist did the whole oak leaf background in session 3... was home a few weeks ago and wearing shorts, and my dad informed me that he thought my tattoo was "a bit too much" and "looked ****e".

I was bemused more than anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Had a dermal punch stretched to 32mm.
    Was sitting at the dinner table with the mother in law, the wife and a couple of the family.
    The mum in law is staring at me, I've no idea why until she shouts out "I can see through his ear"
    We all just broke our heart laughing

Yeah and when you tell girls about your piercings and they immediately hold their boobs and wince!

And when you tell a guy about them he asks if he can see :rolleyes:

A kid in work today asked if he could put his finger through my ear :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

A kid in work today asked if he could put his finger through my ear :o
    thats disgraceful....guys should always ask to see all boobs not just the pierced ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

This. Its not like a vch piercing comes up in conversation very often but when it does, its always a guy that asks to see.

Never really had bad reactions to any, a guy i was seeing was putting my hair behind my ear one day and goes 'oh my god how many piercings do you have in your ears, you don't even look like one of those weirdos, i didn't notice you had so many' that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

When I was younger I used to have in the region of 28 piercings and one large tattoo (obviously still have that, but now only wear a nose ring and occasionally earrings). Mostly the reactions were only "is it an ethnic thing" or pretty much positive-only negative was I was about 18 and my martial arts instructor with a few drinks on him went on a rant about why I would ruin my looks with all that crap :mad: ...just said I got them done just to annoy YOU. Never affected me with jobs or anything. Don't wear much now just for the discomfort & a some you can't get back in (as they make you take them out for surgery). And hate my tattoo, if I ever get a spare grand I'd love to get it reworked into a sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    After having a heated argument with my sister's teacher today over my sister being bullied, I was told by the teacher that I am a terrible influence to her for having tattoos (she saw the one on my arm) and listening to rock music (I had a Children of Bodom halterneck on) and that I'm setting a 'depressing' example to her and that I will never get a decent job because nobody will hire me with tattoos.

I was pretty happy to be able to explain to her that I have been working since I was 15 years old, have college education and that I already have a job offer as a Criminal Psychologist once I finish college, despite my ever changing hair colour, body mods and love of heavy metal. I then pointed out that at least my tattoos mean something - can she say the same about punching holes in her ears in order to dangle bits of plastic and feather out of them?

More in her line to be looking at who was a "bad influence" on the bullies :mad: cow! what decade is she living in? Nice bit of nordic metal there btw:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Worst reaction was when I was 17/18 and was talking about getting my first tattoo.Dad says if I got tattooed he`d throw me out :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Went and got it done anyway and his reaction--"that looks quite good" and "any plans for more"

He doesnt even look twice at me these days.

Then there was the time I got my nipples pierced and couldnt wear a seatbelt driving the day I got them done.Got stopped by a Garda for not wearing a seatbelt and told him I couldnt cos Id just gotten "an injury" and couldnt put the belt on...showed him my freshly pierced nipples with blood still running down my chest and he let me go muttering something about me being nuts.....remember this was 20 years ago and nipple piercings werent that common.

My nape still gets weird reactions when people see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I have a Sylvester the Cat tattoo on my wrist, I've had someone grab my arm to look at it and proceed to tell me I'm a 'fcuking idiot'. Thank you for your wisdom :P

I have about 26 piercings at the moment and I've been asked plenty of times if I've been shot in the face or something.
    The most annoying is, I gave birth three weeks ago, and when I was pregnant, I had people tell me I better not pierce the baby. People are so ridiculous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

My brothers a piercer and had a considerable amount of tattoos and piercings; he is generally good natured and extremely tolerant of people telling him 'he's going to hell' etc... But theres one woman who rants and raves near their shop about it being the devils work etc; his comeback may sound harsh but believe me it was after daily hassle; he politely told her he'd rather have his face the way it is rather than one like hers which resembled a battered withered ball sack.
    She's not hassled since.

Advertisement