Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strangest/funniest/worst reactions to your piercings or tattoos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

And when you tell a guy about them he asks if he can see :rolleyes:

I don't think I've ever told a guy about it, but eeewww! I'd give him such a smack :pac:

Actually there were a few older women in my old workplace with no piercings at all who used to cower at my ear piercings, which I don't even have that many of and nothing serious! 2 lobes in each ear, a tragus and a rook, but they shuddered when they saw :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I don't think I've ever told a guy about it, but eeewww! I'd give him such a smack :pac:

Little off-topic, but I love how on a thread about intolerance, the answer to a guy asking that question is to strike him in the face.
    Nice.

Little off-topic, but I love how on a thread about intolerance, the answer to a guy asking that question is to strike him in the face.
    Nice.

yes I don't appreciate people asking me to show them my boobs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

yes I don't appreciate people asking me to show them my boobs.....

I'm glad you can justify an act of violence on another person to yourself.

Anyways, we'd best get back on-topic, or a mod will bitch-slap both of us.

It was an exaggeration written online, not something I have ever done :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Never had any big reactions to them apart from "did that ring in your nose hurt, it looks sooooo sore, does it go through the bone?!?!"

Was in work one day and we were having a big visit from one of the directors of the company. Now the rule in work is no facial piercings except nose and tongue. Ears are fine as along as it's not excessive or offensive (:confused:). Now mine would probably, according to the rules, be excessive but I've proved myself and no one pays any attention to my ears anymore. Anyway, so this director came to visit and was walking around introducing himself to everyone. He came over to me, shook my hand and said "wow you have a lot of piercings! Did they hurt?" I said no they were ok and then he said "well fair play to you, I wouldn't have the balls to do that!" Which I thought was fairly sound of him. But the managers took it the wrong way, had a big conniption over it and then I was told to keep them to a minimum. Had them all back in a week later though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Foxwaldo

For My second tattoo i got the guaranteed irish logo on my calf having a bit of fun with being irish and not geting the usual irish flag or something like the scumbags around my area who all have some thing along those lines.

I walk into my house show ma father his reaction is "whats that". After i explain what it is he say "Wait till your in spain the Brits will beat the living *****e out of you thimking your a RA head. He didnt even know what the tattoo was untill i had to explain it to him how on earth would some one from england recognise the guaranteed irish logo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I remember 2 more. I have Peppa and George pig tattooed on my arm, constantly get asked if they are real.

The shop i was working in was beside a church for born again christians so you can imagine some of the reactions. The best one was a young girl asking her mother "What is in there?", her mother replied with "Oh dont worry about that, dont ever go in there, there are monsters in there". Hilarious really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I got congratulated earlier today by someone who only just noticed my wrist tattoo (it being cold long sleeves have been worn in our last few meetings), what was suppose to be the correct response to "congratulations"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

My first and currently only tattoo (Leeloo's elemental symbols on my left wrist) is constantly mistaken for a barcode. *rolls eyes*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I got congratulated earlier today by someone who only just noticed my wrist tattoo (it being cold long sleeves have been worn in our last few meetings), what was suppose to be the correct response to "congratulations"?

Invite them to your tattoo shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

Apart from the usual did that hurt etc comments, the best I heard ( in relation to my 60mm length rim conch scafold) was "is that a hearing aid?" that caught me by surprise and had to thank him for making me laugh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Most reactions I find seem to come from Irish/English people asking the usual 'did it hurt?', 'what does it mean?', 'what if you get sick of it?', 'what about trying to get a job?', etc. In Spain, so many people have tattoos and piercings, that it's pretty much commonplace. I can't imagine anyone getting refused employment or anything like that on the grounds of body art here. That's an attitude I've only encountered in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

McChubbin wrote: »
    My first and currently only tattoo (Leeloo's elemental symbols on my left wrist) is constantly mistaken for a barcode. *rolls eyes*

Oh my god how I want this tattoo!! What colour did you get it in? I want it like leeloo's so its only slightly darker than skin tone but the artist i went to said that could be really difficult to get right so didnt know whether to go for it or not but I really want too!!

My usual reaction is wow you don't look like the kinda person who'd have tattoos (mine are kinda hidden so unless I show someone they wouldn't know). Most of my friends really dont like tattoos and they just kinda shake there head when I discuss my next one usually followed by them asking why...for some reason cuz they're pretty is not an acceptable answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ericaa wrote: »
    I have a Sylvester the Cat tattoo on my wrist, I've had someone grab my arm to look at it and proceed to tell me I'm a 'fcuking idiot'. Thank you for your wisdom :P

I have about 26 piercings at the moment and I've been asked plenty of times if I've been shot in the face or something.
    The most annoying is, I gave birth three weeks ago, and when I was pregnant, I had people tell me I better not pierce the baby. People are so ridiculous...

And the funny thing is those dozy bints would be the ones to get their babies ears pierced with a horrible piercing gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

January wrote: »
    And the funny thing is those dozy bints would be the ones to get their babies ears pierced with a horrible piercing gun.
    Oh gosh, don't even get me started on that hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

I get 'What about on your wedding day when you're wearing your wedding dress?!' plus the obligatory look of disgust.

Yeah...so what?

I've also been told that I'm an idiot.

Nice people out there! ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Lemonperv wrote: »
    I get 'What about on your wedding day when you're wearing your wedding dress?!' plus the obligatory look of disgust.

Yeah...so what?

I've also been told that I'm an idiot.

Nice people out there! ???

I think tattoos and wedding dresses go quite well together :D

http://****yeahtattooedbrides.tumblr.com/

:D

I don't know why people think women shouldn't get tattoos they love and will have forever because of one day and one dress of their lives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I don't know why people think women shouldn't get tattoos they love and will have forever because of one day and one dress of their lives!

I always tell them that I liked my tattoos yesterday, I like them today, I'll like them tomorrow, so why won't I like them on my wedding day. They've become part of me, and I wouldn't want to be someone different on my wedding day...sooo I'll still like them then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

Funniest reaction was from my 78 year old ex-Garda grandfather :

"A tattoo? *mumbles to himself* Well that's it now, if you are ever on the run they'll catch ya. Marked for life you are. *Shakes head disapprovingly*

I don't know which is funnier, his reaction or the fact he thinks I *may* find myself on the run some day? :confused:

Grandparents. Gotta love em! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

SandyRamp wrote: »
    "A tattoo? *mumbles to himself* Well that's it now, if you are ever on the run they'll catch ya. Marked for life you are. *Shakes head disapprovingly*

Love the fact that he was kinda giving you "on the run" advice

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

dearg lady wrote: »

I always tell them that I liked my tattoos yesterday, I like them today, I'll like them tomorrow, so why won't I like them on my wedding day. They've become part of me, and I wouldn't want to be someone different on my wedding day...sooo I'll still like them then!

I try to, I'm just not that eloquent :(

My Mum will barely look at me if it's not covered. It's quite hard even though I know she is wrong. My sister is getting married soon and I'll be the Bridesmaid. Worried Mum will cause a fuss over 'exposed' tattoos and knock my confidence a bit. My sister doesn't mind at all - she loved 'em!

On the up side, I think I've a great idea for a big enough and visible tattoo that I'll be going to Spilled Ink to get! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

In the queue at the shop today, a toddler of about 3 years old pulled her mam's arm and asked 'what's on that girl's arm?' The mother looked at me in disgust (I was dressed a bit 'out there' admittedly) and I swiftly told the child 'Oh, I was silly and drew on myself with a crayon and now I can't get it off.' Cue the mother's look of disgust turning to a look of approval that I'd placate her child.

Pft.

I've been told lately how 'cute' my tattoos are. That made me smile a bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Lemonperv wrote: »

I got that off my gran when i started getting my legs tattooed. Bless her heart. Sure my dress will be floor length nanny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I think my strangest was an auld fella that I used to work with asking me was it burnt on?? :confused:

He couldn't understand how the whole process worked without there being some form of burning involved

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ladywhiteraven

After I'd just got a huge rib tattoo, it was oozing blood covered in clingfilm and my friend whose house I was staying at saw this bleeding, oozing, swollen mess and asked '' Is that real? ''

My dad's response to seeing any of my tattoos '' hello sailor''

So many times I have heard how I won't get a job, will scare children etc, but I now run a wildlife rescue and my wildlife tattoos help break the ice when I organise educational events for young children

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

my boss just says im 'daft as a brush' every time i get something new, my old principle once came up behind me and shouted U MURDERED UR EAR...... um ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I saw this and thought of this thread :)

E2GA9gOvukCn7sM1PhqPCw2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

haha yes I've had quite a few people ask me if mine were real.

Advertisement