Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old do I have to be to legally be a sole trader?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

:D Hello, Im tring to leagally set up my own business in a different name than my own..
    Im 16.. Im wondering if i can legally register for Vat/Paye etc and Run a busines (self-employed) or do i have to wait till 18?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

There is currently no set legal limit to act as a company director, though there are plans to introduce a age 18 limit in the near future.

In terms of being a sole trader, there is no age limit per se, but you may have difficulties in signing certain contracts as most contracts are not enforceable on minors.

I was vat registered when I was 16 and had a trading name too - its quite simple via the cro website to register a business name as a sole trader.

A more recent example of under 18 direcorships is the 2 lads in limerick with set up the ebay auction tool app and sold it for a couple of mill (age 18 & 16) and are now setting the world alight with their Stripe payment tool.

Advertisement