Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celebrity "sizes" in magazines

• 17-10-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Right now I am reading Heat magazine which states that Kim Kardashian has gone up from a size eight to a size twelve. Now, I am a size eight, I weigh eight stone, have no boobs, have no hips - so how on earth do they think Kim was ever an eight?

It also says that her weight back in March was 7 stone 2lb. There is no way she could ever be that light, as I said I have no "assets" and am very thin but I am eight stone.

I just find it incredible that people may take this as the truth and think they are the true sizes...unless of course they are referring to american sizing, but even then they must be lying somewhere about their weight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

I work in media. Everyone, please be aware, what you're reading / watching is never 100% true especially in the world of celebrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Firstly American sizes are different than UK sizes which is what we go by here. So when they say Kim Kardashian is a size 8 they possible mean a US 8 which is a UK 10.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm

Secondly a lot depends on height.

I once saw a magazine article saying 'guess who is size 8' out of a photo of 5 women. They were all slim and healthy looking but quite different shapes and sizes. I turned out they were all size 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

The sizes I can understand, but the weight? There is absolutely no way she could ever weigh 7 stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

The sizes I can understand, but the weight? There is absolutely no way she could ever weigh 7 stone.

What height is she? It's is also important to bear in mind the muscle is heavier than fat so someone smaller in measurement could be heavier than someone bigger even if they are the same height.

Does this matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Right now I am reading Heat magazine which states that Kim Kardashian has gone up from a size eight to a size twelve. Now, I am a size eight, I weigh eight stone, have no boobs, have no hips - so how on earth do they think Kim was ever an eight?

It also says that her weight back in March was 7 stone 2lb. There is no way she could ever be that light, as I said I have no "assets" and am very thin but I am eight stone.

I just find it incredible that people may take this as the truth and think they are the true sizes...unless of course they are referring to american sizing, but even then they must be lying somewhere about their weight.

I would have thought they meant KK was a US8 which is closer to a UK12.

Anyway like everyone has already said, take these articles with a pinch of salt. I read yesterday that KK has put on 2 stone while dating Kanye, then today she had lost 6lbs?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

You have different body shapes, her boobs could fool you into thinking she was a bigger size than she actually was. I could have easily see her having a size 8 waist.

Plus, Kim is short, only 5'2", a size 8 won't look as tiny on her as someone taller. How tall are you, OP?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I remember seeing a picture of Rachel Bilson a few years ago. Some Irish girls had bumped into her and taken a picture with her. All the Irish girls were size 8 or 10 - slim, in other words. It was SHOCKING how small Rachel Bilson was next to them. She was the size of a 10 year old child, perhaps. So I never underestimate just how slight celebrities may be.

How tall are you, OP?

5'4

5'4

So, two inches taller than Kim, which does make a big difference. I can guarantee that Kim's boobs and bum give the impression of her being a bigger size too. I would well believe she was a size 8. I bet she'd be tiny in person.

Why does it bother you so much anyway, even if she is bigger?

• Advertisement

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, just something I noticed in a magazine and thought I might post about it.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, just something I noticed in a magazine and thought I might post about it.

Well, you and she can have different body shapes and both still be size 8. :) Celebs tend to be titchy in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

I read in a mag last week that kk had a hip measurement of 40. That's way over a size 12. I'm 5"5', an 8 on top and a size 10 on the bottom. My hips are 37 which is quite big for a size 10 so I'd put kim close to a size 14.

I'm quite skinny apart from my booty and I'm 8st 12 so can't see how kim would be 7 stone. She'd have to be 5" even to be that light. The reason why this annoys me is because young girls read it and think it's real. They think thin means 7 stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

A friend of mine met Beyonce. She couldn't get over how small she was. She reckoned she was a size 4 or 6. She's portrayed as 'curvy' and she is curvy but a lot of people perceive that as 'bigger'. Which I know I'm guilty of and so is my friend.

So maybe Kim is actually quite small?

A friend of mine met Beyonce. She couldn't get over how small she was. She reckoned she was a size 4 or 6. She's portrayed as 'curvy' and she is curvy but a lot of people perceive that as 'bigger'. Which I know I'm guilty of and so is my friend.

True she could be small and the media have posted conflicting information on her weight and size.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Klaas

Κardashian has small stature. But as Stench Blossoms correctly mentioned above, she's "curvy" and many people think that she's big. That's wrong
    Also the magazines always lie about weight or height of celebrities. That's true too.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Was just about to post this exact same thing! I know a girl who works in a shop that Beyonce went into a couple of years ago when she was in Dublin for a gig. The girl I know could not get over how tiny Beyonce was, and as Stench Blossom says, Beyonce is hailed as being one of the ‘curvy’ celebrities.

Wasn’t it rumoured that Victoria Beckham had the same measurements as a 9 year old boy? She looks slim in pictures, but if that’s true then she must look like Skelator in real life.

I would think KK is tiny, she is only 5ft2 and I’d say her hips and boobs aren’t as big in real life as they look in pics. I think they only look big because the rest of her is so tiny. I would have no trouble believing that she is a size 8, and that’s a UK size 8.

As a previous poster says, don’t underestimate how tiny celebrities are in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Kim K regularly sells her old clothes on ebay (under the name kimsaprincess). They are either all XS or a US size 2-4 (which is a 6-8 UK). Anybody who follows Kim knows that the girl cannot dress properly when it comes to fit - she squeezes into things that are way too small for her. So take the size 2-4 with a pinch of salt because there is no way she is that size - especially with that giant a$$ on her.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Anybody who follows Kim knows that the girl cannot dress properly when it comes to fit - she squeezes into things that are way too small for her. So take the size 2-4 with a pinch of salt because there is no way she is that size - especially with that giant a$$ on her.

I don't follow her but I cannot figure out how she could squeeze those giant hips into size 8s...especially if it is 44 inches as someone else said :eek:
    So I guess by this thread the general feeling is that it's sort of an illusion the photos of her in the media? She is slim ok but you could still have big hips and boobs. I just don't know how you fit them into a size eight, for me I have neither! I can still fit into kids clothes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

^ You can also see the outline of Spanx in a lot of the dresses that she wears so that could contribute to the squeezing into things! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Eh, you don't have to be straight up straight down to be a size 8. I'm just shy of 5'6, weight 8 stone 5lb and am curvy in the true sense of the word. Although my measurements are 36"-26"-36", in dresses what actually fits is a 6-8, in trousers and tops an 8-10 depending on the cut. So the theoretical measurements for sizes are all fine and well, but once you go outside of a straight up straight down figure, all it really comes down to is what generally fits when you put it on (I'm not saying what goes on fits, but what actually fits)

I don't follow her but I cannot figure out how she could squeeze those giant hips into size 8s...especially if it is 44 inches as someone else said :eek:
    So I guess by this thread the general feeling is that it's sort of an illusion the photos of her in the media? She is slim ok but you could still have big hips and boobs. I just don't know how you fit them into a size eight, for me I have neither! I can still fit into kids clothes!

Someone said she had 40 inch hips, I doubt that.

Most people seem to be saying she likely is 8 or 8-10, and probably looks smaller in person.
    Eh, you don't have to be straight up straight down to be a size 8.

Exactly, you can be curvy at small sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A friend of mine met Beyonce. She couldn't get over how small she was. She reckoned she was a size 4 or 6.

Yeah 2 of my friends (who are quite slim) met her and got a picture with her and they look huuuuge next to her! She's tinsy!

I only ever read "celeb" mags in the doctor/dentist waiting room. Dunno who any of the people in them are really. Every feckin time they have stories about celebs weight/dieting/blah blah WHO CARRRESS! I mean really, who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I can also say that all this stuff about Gaga gaining 25lb is BS. I was about 15 feet away from her at her concert and she looked the exact same as she did when I saw her in 2010. I think the Daily Mail photoshopped some pics to make her look huge and Gaga just went with it to appeal to the "real women have curves"/"born this way" crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lazy girl

yeah I agree no way KK is or could be that small with the boobs and bum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Someone said she had 40 inch hips, I doubt that.

KK has posted on her own blog that her measurements are 34-26-39. Her waist may be tiny but she must be bet into the smaller sizes to fit them over her hips. My hips are smaller than Kim's but there's no way I could squeeze into a UK8.

Anyway like someone else said on this thread, I don't really care is she's an 8 or an 18 - I just think it sends out a confusing message to anyone impressionable when they are shown a picture of someone, say, Lauren Goodger and are told she is a size 10 when she has to be nearer a 14. It's as bad as being shown a severely underweight model and being told she is a healthy size 6/8/whatever.

I'd imagine declaring that KK has a huge ass and thighs like a few people on this thread have done would be more damaging, TBH.

:pac:
    Valentina wrote: »
    KK has posted on her own blog that her measurements are 34-26-39. Her waist may be tiny but she must be bet into the smaller sizes to fit them over her hips. My hips are smaller than Kim's but there's no way I could squeeze into a UK8.

Anyway like someone else said on this thread, I don't really care is she's an 8 or an 18 - I just think it sends out a confusing message to anyone impressionable when they are shown a picture of someone, say, Lauren Goodger and are told she is a size 10 when she has to be nearer a 14. It's as bad as being shown a severely underweight model and being told she is a healthy size 6/8/whatever.

I think Kim has a great body and love her curves but she aint a size 8. Like you Valentina I've smaller hips but similar proportions to Kim overall 32D-26-37 and I do well to squeeze into a size 8 especially in jeans or very fitted dresses. Mostly I can't get my boobs/bum/hips into an 8 and I wear a 10 :o Kim is a 34DD cup size so I imagine it would be tough to squeeze those bad boys into a size 8! :D

It doesn't matter what size she is because she looks great but it's misleading when you are told a celeb is a smaller size when they are clearly not. To use Valentina's example, Lauren Goodger. Someone who is a genuine slim size 10 could see all the things written about Lauren being fat (not that she is fat) and think that a size 10 must be big and they need to lose weight. I know most of us can see through this but lot of girls/women are very susceptible to suggestion especially if they already have body hangups. There’s an obsession with celebrity weight and thinness among young girls. Things are getting distorted and what used to be considered very skinny is now a normal size, what used to be considered normal is now "curvy". As someone that struggled with eating/body image issues when I was younger this kind of stuff annoys me.

Even men nowadays are being conditioned to think tiny weights are normal. When I first met my ex he thought I must weigh about 7 stone. He thought that was what a 5'5" healthy woman should weigh and was very surprised when I told him my weight (he was a big guy himself). On several occasions we watched Supersize vs Superskinny and he didn't see anything wrong with the superskinny and compared their size to actresses he liked. He thought they looked to be a healthy weight. Kim being labelled in the media as one of the bigger celebs and then stating she’s a size 8 is just sending the wrong message to people. Rant over! :pac:

:pac:

Rant over! :pac:

I think this thread should be over!

To reiterate what everyone is saying, what you read / see in magazines is never a true representation.

EDIT: to spend this amount of internet space discussing clueless 'celebrities' of the KK ilk is a MAJOR waste of everyone's time. She has nothing constructive or positive to say and is a puppet on E! TV's TV take-over!! Ok, rant over!! (p.s. the Kardashian's show is entirely scripted by the way...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Kim is a 34DD cup size so I imagine it would be tough to squeeze those bad boys into a size 8!
    Very few celebrities will ever admit to being larger than a DD because Americans have a weird phobia of the bra alphabet beyond the letter D. If she's a size 8 in general, it's much more likely that 34DD is absolute rubbish. Most women who are a size 8 take a 26-30 band.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Very few celebrities will ever admit to being larger than a DD because Americans have a weird phobia of the bra alphabet beyond the letter D. If she's a size 8 in general, it's much more likely that 34DD is absolute rubbish. Most women who are a size 8 take a 26-30 band.

Yeah, I'm a 34DD and I'm a size 12. That being said, my size 8 friend does wear a 34 or 36 band and she's not oddly sized or anything.

I have a related but probably stupid question, but it's been bugging me for ages. When people give their measurements, eg 36-34-36, does the bust measurement related to their bra band size, or their bust at the widest part? Like I said, I'm a 34DD, but my bust at the widest part is about 39/40 inches total. So would I say I'm 34-xx-xx or 40-xx-xx?

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a 34DD and I'm a size 12. That being said, my size 8 friend does wear a 34 or 36 band and she's not oddly sized or anything.

I have a related but probably stupid question, but it's been bugging me for ages. When people give their measurements, eg 36-34-36, does the bust measurement related to their bra band size, or their bust at the widest part? Like I said, I'm a 34DD, but my bust at the widest part is about 39/40 inches total. So would I say I'm 34-xx-xx or 40-xx-xx?

Your friend is probably a 30/32 and a much bigger cup size than she thinks. Most women are wearing the wrong bra size. I thought I was a 34B/C. My friend got implants and told me she was a 34C. Now hers are massive compared to mine and she's a bigger build too. We both got measured at some girly event doing bra's, I'm a 32D and she's a 36DD. I always thought a D cup = big boobs but not if it's a D on a slight frame. It's best to get properly fitted by a decent bra place as the traditional ways of measuring people don't necessary give the best fit. I've never had better fitting bra's in my life! :)

You would say you are a 40-xx-xx. It's the bust at the widest part.

Back to KK yes I do think it makes sense that she's smaller band size and much larger than a DD. A 34DD would struggle to fit into an 8. Usually a size 8 in clothes is 32in at the widest part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah I'm a size 8 and I'm a 34 band. But I'm tall so I'm a bit broader I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

I met Beyonce myself in july 2011, what I thought was that she had this tiny little waist but definitely had curves all over. She had a big bum and boobs for sure, now it was announced a few weeks later that she was pregnant so that could have been something to do with it :) Also she has the most beautifully clear skin I have ever seen!!

Advertisement