Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy new gear? And what to buy...

• 17-10-2012 7:28pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Think its time I upgraded my bike gear - wondering where to go? I'll give cotters and bikeworld a go, but is there anywhere else worth checking out?

Might take a trip to Crossans at some stage as I've never been. What about buying online? If I know what I want what sites are good?

Also, any recommendations on what to buy? I want a decent 2 piece textile suit, something for all weather. So far I've heard good things from friends about RST stuff - looking at the RST Ventilator. Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Yeah Crossans is your best bet for gear, not sure if they do RST though. I know I mentioned them before but Horsepower has RST stuff and delivers too.

I have RST gear so can tell you this from experience, the Paragon/Pro Series stuff is decent enough. I've used it in all weathers. Their bottoms and gloves (or at least some of their older stuff) is not waterproof at all. Leaks like a feckin teabag! But I believe their newer stuff is much better.

As for alternative brands, Richa Monsoon is decent enough but will cost you a few quid more. The Alpinestars stuff is excellent too, but is even more expensive again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers. Horepowers site is soooo ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would go to bikeworld & Cotters and size up the RST, Dainese etc and buy online...I regulary go up to Crossans but be aware they do not stock alot of the stuff so ring 1st to make sure they have what you want. As was posted earlier the HEIN GERICKE stuff is very good for the price and most of the gear has reflective bands built in, handy coming into the dark season. Unfortunately, Newry is gone so Belfast is the nearest store.

The Birmingham Expo is on soon and apparently you can get some great bargains and you would get some cheap flights over and back on the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I can recommend the RST Paragon III gear. I have the jacket and pants and they are 100% waterproof. I have been wearing them continuously since last Thursday in all the crap weather, hailstones and torrential rain, and not a drop got in. I got them discounted but you'd probably pick up both the pants and the jacket for about €450-€500 in an Irish bike shop, online will obviously be cheaper.

I don't rate Alpinestars at all but that's from a woman's point of view, as their ladies gear is rubbish.

I also have Richa Monsoon pants which are also 100% waterproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

anything goretex of course :)

HG in Belfast if they are still doing the up to 30% off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

If you can wait for a bit the Irish Motor Bike show is back in the RDS in March next year.

All the shops north and south of the border will be there. I got some great deals last time around.

Gore-Tex ftw!

Zascar wrote: »
    Cheers. Horepowers site is soooo ****.

Yeah it is a bit in fairness. Handy enough shop though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

They have a Shop? Where is it?

Not a bad jacket for the price and in a range of colours.....wind and waterproof too.

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/motorcyle-clothing/jackets/hein-gericke-york-sheltexr-jacke-schwarz-grau.html

They have a Shop? Where is it?

It's in Longwood, between Trim and Kinnegad.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Not a bad jacket for the price and in a range of colours.....wind and waterproof too.

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/motorcyle-clothing/jackets/hein-gericke-york-sheltexr-jacke-schwarz-grau.html

HG stuff is top class for the price all the same.

• Advertisement

Cool, they have a lot of the RST stuff there too: http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/katalog/2012/uk/ page 110
    Might take a trip up to the Belfast store at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

avoid buffalo 'waterproof' stuff..

have a pair of buffalo waterproof textile pants, and I may as well be wearing swimming trunks some mornings :o

Big fan of Richa stuff, and would go for them again. Though Im considering Rukka stuff from fc-moto.de..

Rukka is prolly the best of the best in fairness, but the price does reflect that...and some of the stuff can be very bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

aye, tis pricy alright, but reckon as I wear it everyday, and I expect it to go that further then a pair of waterproof pullovers (as in, save my skin), Im willing to perhaps think about maybe considering going that extra bit.. maybe (Im still in the convincing stage)

hah I remember when I was starting out, hmming and hawing about spending 15e on a neck warmer.. but geez, 6 years on and I still have it, and it gets about 6+ months of use a year - so really doesnt owe me anything. Hoping the Rukka stuff would be in the same camp. In fairness, the waterproof Richa pants I got originally, I paid about 100e for (cotters), and they lasted 4-5 years (and 2 crashes), before I bust the zip

like anything I guess, you pays your money, and you takes your chances

Aye, Rukka probably really is the best out there, but as said already - it's very expensive. Alpinestar Dry-Star is excellent too, but just as pricey.

It's funny cause the gear I have no is nowhere near waterproof, but its a very very rare time I actually get actually wet. The jacket was farly cheap - the pants are nothing special, but the only time I've got wet is in absoltely torrential rain for 30+ mins. In the hundreds of times I've ridden to work etc in normal rain for 15-20 mins they have never let me down. Anything that is even a tiny bit more waterproof than that will do me fine!

The worst I ever had was my trip to france, last day and the last 300 mile journey to the boat. Woke up and it was raining, but we could not wait or we might miss the boat. We started out and 20 mins later we had torrential rain for the next 2 hours. I might as well should have went swimming in my gear, soaked through, was horriffic. I don't think many gear could put up with that type of weather - and it's so rare that it happens that if I was ever going on a trip like that again I'd get one of those big rainproof oversuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

It's funny cause the gear I have no is nowhere near waterproof, but its a very very rare time I actually get actually wet. The jacket was farly cheap - the pants are nothing special, but the only time I've got wet is in absoltely torrential rain for 30+ mins. In the hundreds of times I've ridden to work etc in normal rain for 15-20 mins they have never let me down. Anything that is even a tiny bit more waterproof than that will do me fine!

The worst I ever had was my trip to france, last day and the last 300 mile journey to the boat. Woke up and it was raining, but we could not wait or we might miss the boat. We started out and 20 mins later we had torrential rain for the next 2 hours. I might as well should have went swimming in my gear, soaked through, was horriffic. I don't think many gear could put up with that type of weather - and it's so rare that it happens that if I was ever going on a trip like that again I'd get one of those big rainproof oversuits.

Rrain overalls dude, will keep you dry if you were hosed down and will fit in to your back pack, topbox, saddle bags. The only gripe is sliding on the wet seat on hard breaking and crushing the family jewel's against the tank, painfull lesson that was but you learn quickly to stop yourself from sliding forward! :D

I am convinced that its the way the stuff is treated in the factory before its left is the key...if done right the product will last. If done on a monday morning with half the lads nursing a hangover its done shoddy. I have driven for over 2hrs none stop in the worst weather going up north in my current RST Paragon II series and never got wet, bone dry when I got there. The last RST jacket I had the series before same technology did not last 30mins, that went back faulty and got the new one FOC.

I mailed bikeworld over the weekend asking if they had the RST Ventilliator gear - they actually replied to me straight away - on a sunday! Impressive! They got back to me just there to confirm sizing and price. They are actually just as cheap as I have found it anywhere online from UK etc - 195 for jacket and 145 for pants. Might swing over and pick them up this weekend :D

I have the Paragon 3 series and its very good, that ventillator jacket looks quite fitted and short. Unless thats the style you want coming into the winter season.....you should get 10%-15% off that price aswell when you buy the two items.

http://http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-paragon-iii-textile-jacket

• Advertisement

I mailed bikeworld over the weekend asking if they had the RST Ventilliator gear - they actually replied to me straight away - on a sunday! Impressive! They got back to me just there to confirm sizing and price. They are actually just as cheap as I have found it anywhere online from UK etc - 195 for jacket and 145 for pants. Might swing over and pick them up this weekend :D

Nice looking jacket I like it! the only thing about it though is that its not waterproof withuot the inner membrane so its going to soak up and hold the water between the the outer layer and inner one, just saw this in a review as well, tbh sounds ideal for the irish weather!

"
    Like having three jackets in one – summer, rainy, cold layers are present.
    All removable with either zips or poppers. It’s a bit of a hassle to put on if all 3 layers are being used as they all zip up down the front.
    Really comfortable when all layers are worn together, but with the inner layers removed, the jacket isn’t as snug, with the chunky armour digging in to shoulders and rubbing on elbows.
    A back protector is included. Lots of adjustability on arms and around waist for a better fit. Large pockets but conservative, plain design.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/product-news/showcase-visordowns-top-11-textile-jackets/17227-10.html#ixzz2A80GlUWE"

??? So the outer jacket you see in the pic will get soaking wet, the jacket inside that keeps you dry? Hmm, that sounds a bit weird - or have I got it wrong? Only thing to note is that that review is from 2009 and it was the original, I'm looking at the Ventilator 3 - maybe it's better?
    http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/84365

I do like the shorter fitted jackets. Paragon looks nice but not sure if its what I want. I'll have to go in and see what else is in the shop - unless anyone else has any ideas?

??? So the outer jacket you see in the pic will get soaking wet, the jacket inside that keeps you dry? Hmm, that sounds a bit weird - or have I got it wrong?

Thats what I thought as well, it certainly sounds like that. Might be a good idea to read a few more reviews. These gloves in this thread are like that, the actual glove lets the water in but the inner one keeps it out :confused:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056788340

Advertisement