Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They've a lot of ground to make up if they want to qualify for Tokyo, never mind Rio but at least they're entering a team

The European 7s tournament takes place in July. Only the winner qualifies. GB have already qualified (along with Fiji, South Africa & NZ).

There's a final qualifying tournament next year for one spot and it's likely that whoever hasn't qualified between Ireland, France and Italy in Europe will be the only top tier nations left along with the likes of Tonga, Samoa, one of USA/Canada and Portugal will be fighting for that last spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dodge wrote: »
    They've a lot of ground to make up if they want to qualify for Tokyo, never mind Rio but at least they're entering a team

The European 7s tournament takes place in July. Only the winner qualifies. GB have already qualified (along with Fiji, South Africa & NZ).

There's a final qualifying tournament next year for one spot and it's likely that whoever hasn't qualified between Ireland, France and Italy in Europe will be the only top tier nations left along with the likes of Tonga, Samoa, one of USA/Canada and Portugal will be fighting for that last spot.
    The repechage will be very hard to qualify from and to be honest we haven't a hope of qualifying. Italy may be a top tier nation but they wont qualify. Portugal are very good. We wont qualify as Tonga/Samoa will destroy us in 7s with their pedigree in the sport

We have to get to being near core status on world series if we're to have any hope of qualifying for 2020. Core status is the aim in time. Until then an irish 7s team will not play in an Olympics

Yeah, as I said, Tokyo is still unlikely but I thought people might like to know the *possible* routes (even, as you say, very unlikely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

The repechage will be very hard to qualify from and to be honest we haven't a hope of qualifying. Italy may be a top tier nation but they wont qualify. Portugal are very good. We wont qualify as Tonga/Samoa will destroy us in 7s with their pedigree in the sport

We have to get to being near core status on world series if we're to have any hope of qualifying for 2020. Core status is the aim in time. Until then an irish 7s team will not play in an Olympics

Yes agree with everything you said here, and like Dodge said, even to qualify for Tokyo 2020 will take some doing with the amount of catching up we have to do. It's so disappointing that it has come to this stage although there was an inevitability about this situation even as far back as when it was announced the sport would be added to the Rio Games. But indeed, at least there is finally some lift-off with the sevens programme, hopefully quick and steady progress will be maintained from here until Tokyo and beyond.

A new one for me. Last week saw 16 year old Taekwondo player Jack Wooley make the last 8 in the World Championships. He was at the finweight category (under 54 kgs) and the lightest in the Olympics is fly (58kgs) but still some achievement for a young man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_World_Taekwondo_Championships_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_finweight

http://www.olympics.ie/sports/taekwondo/12715-2015-world-taekwondo-championships.html

He won 3 matches. He'll probably be too light for Rio but every chance he could develop into an olympic class for Tokyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

Ciara Everard set an 800m PB of 2.01.21 yesterday, not quite at the Worlds and Olympic 2.01.00 standard but getting very close!
    Mark English ran 800m in 1.45.83, inside the worlds standard of 1.46.00, but just outside the Olympic standard of 1.45.80.

Michelle Finn (9.49) and Kerry O'Flaherty (9.53) weren't too far off the 3,000m SC qualifying time of 9.45 this weekend.

Finn, in particular, has a full season to improve by 4 seconds and there's every chance she will.

AI now lists US born Megan Tice as the top Irish High Jumper this year. She jumped 1.85 at the weekend. The standard is 1.94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Laura Crowe also had a solid 2.39 in a stack field (just behind Britain's Jessica Judd) looks to be in good shape coming into the season

Ciaran O Lionaird looks to have another injury setback with his achilles that has been troubling him since before London. Has returned to training base in US for ongoing treatment.

Fionnuala Britton continues here transition to the marathon with an 8th place in her official half marathon debut in a time of 73.46. Stringing together some decent results on the road since her coaching change

omicron wrote: »
    Mark English ran 800m in 1.45.83, inside the worlds standard of 1.46.00, but just outside the Olympic standard of 1.45.80.

Followed this up with a 600m Irish National Record in 1.16.02 for 2nd in Ostrava just behind European Champion Adam Kszczot (David Rudisha pulling up injured)

A fine 4th place for Aileen Reed in the London World Triathlon seres event. She's 6th in the current rankings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Hoping someone here can help me. Does anyone know where I can apply for tickets for this? On the official website it gives a list of countries and their suppliers (for lack of a better term) but doesn't list Ireland as a country. I tried GB thinking they may have made a mistake, but I can't apply with them either. Starting to panic as I believe I have only 5 more days to apply for tickets. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!

EDIT: I did see the question on the previous page in relation to this. Just wondering is there an update as to an Irish agency provider? Or can I somehow apply through the British one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gingerpele

moneyman wrote: »
    Hoping someone here can help me. Does anyone know where I can apply for tickets for this? On the official website it gives a list of countries and their suppliers (for lack of a better term) but doesn't list Ireland as a country. I tried GB thinking they may have made a mistake, but I can't apply with them either. Starting to panic as I believe I have only 5 more days to apply for tickets. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!

EDIT: I did see the question on the previous page in relation to this. Just wondering is there an update as to an Irish agency provider? Or can I somehow apply through the British one?

CoSport who are British one have an option to pick other eu or eea state. I think under eu law you have to be able to apply that way. Set up an account an try. They have loads of tickets available in the second round which closes on the 10th.

Otherwise find a friend in North or uk and ask them to let you use details.

Thomas Barr with a huge National Record on Thursday in the Diamond League running 48.65 (previously he held the record with 48.9 from last year)

This is his second Diamond League race of the year with 2 top 4 performances giving good claim to him making the final of the World Championships later this year all things going well. Prize money from this will also go a long way in regards to funding his training throughout the summer (and year) earning nearly 1/3 of his total yearly Sports Grant funding.

Also ranks him as a genuine medal favourite for the World Student Games next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The men's rugby sevens team won European division C and now advance to division B later this month. If they come out of div B they'll play in the Olympic qualifying repecahage tournament in Lisbon in July

Alex Wright got the qualifying time for the 20k walk yesterday

Bad news for Joe Ward in APB boxing though. He was leading on the scorecards until being stopped in the 4th round. He now can't qualify from here. (He's likely to go through the World championships later this year so still plenty of opportunities)

Mary Cullen ran her 1st track race in a number of years last week running 15.29. The World and Olympic Qualification times are 15.20 so if she can stay injury free (has been plagued throughout her career) she looks like she should get that.

Personally delighted to see this one as she is arguably the most talented distance runner of her generation. (and I would include two time European Cross Country Champion Fionnula Britton in that)

Womens hockey team beating South Africa n Hockey World League game in Spain 2-1 at the moment in 2nd quarter. Game live on Sky Sports 2 at the moment

4-1 win for Ireland. Great start

• Registered Users Posts: 24 The Rings The Flame

Forgive my chronic ignorance of hockey but would we be expected to qualify a team here. Good early signs at least.

Forgive my chronic ignorance of hockey but would we be expected to qualify a team here. Good early signs at least.

They're ranked 14th in the world. South Africa are 11th. Only the top 7 from the world league qualify for Olympics so it's going to be very very tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

14th in the world sounds pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

moneyman wrote: »

Sorry, i just say your query now. CoSport closed their individual applications yesterday. They had a window of a week open when you could do an application. I did a few different applications so we will see how I got on next week. Gone for Golf, Showjumping, boxing and basketball events.

Germany 3 - Ireland 1
    Didn't see this game any thoughts?

Next match v Uruguay on Saturday 12pm

Aileen Reid finished 6thin triathlon in Baku in European Games.

Womens 7s rugby side have lost both their opening games. Lost to Spain 24-12 and France 20-7. Last game of the day is against Ukraine

Mens Wolfhound 7s side have won their first two games of this weekends GB 7s in Colwyn Bay against Welsh Charitables 43-0 and Co-Optimist 22-19. Final Pool game is against Samurai

Germany 3 - Ireland 1
    Didn't see this game any thoughts?

Next match v Uruguay on Saturday 12pm

3-2 win over Uruguay...

Brilliant 2-0 win over USA today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

KevIRL wrote: »
    Brilliant 2-0 win over USA today.

The girls are getting closer and closer to (deserved) qualification.

Stunning win over the US! They're currently top of the pool (although Germany should leap frog them).

They'll play 3rd or 4th in the other pool and if they win, they're into the Olympics.

Argentina plays Spain this evening. The loser of that will be in 3rd. China is in 4th (in the unlikely event of South Africa beating Germany)

They'll play 3rd or 4th in the other pool and if they win, they're into the Olympics.

Just on this, technically only the top 6 from the Semi finals (both groups) go through but Brazil aren't using their quota place and with 4 regional champions taking precedence, any remaining spots will be re-distributed to the WHL ranks

So if Argentina are in top 6 and win Pan-American games, that spot goes down to 8th in WHL

Likewise the 2015 European Champs will likely give up their WHL quota too.

Aus/NZ can qualify through Oceania Cup

South Korea are already qualified through Asian games.

So there's loads of chances for Ireland to qualify, and a win in the QF here practically guarantees a spot in the olympics.

• Advertisement

WHoops. Germany finished 0-0. Ireland play China. Never had a better chance

This is amazing news..... please, please, please God let us finally make it to the Olympics. Irish hockey has been knocking on the door for so long. Qualification could be the boost needed to send the sport into orbit here.

Just on this, technically only the top 6 from the Semi finals (both groups) go through but Brazil aren't using their quota place and with 4 regional champions taking precedence, any remaining spots will be re-distributed to the WHL ranks

So if Argentina are in top 6 and win Pan-American games, that spot goes down to 8th in WHL

Likewise the 2015 European Champs will likely give up their WHL quota too.

Aus/NZ can qualify through Oceania Cup

South Korea are already qualified through Asian games.

So there's loads of chances for Ireland to qualify, and a win in the QF here practically guarantees a spot in the olympics.

Plus, I think I read that if South Africa don't qualify via the World League, their Olympic committee said they will reject the quota even if they qualify as African champions. This quota is then re-distributed through the World League.

They're going into this one on a great run of form. They just need a bit of conviction and self belief now to see it out.

Great news!

When is next game?

Great news!

When is next game?

They play China on Thursday in the quarter final. Win that and they have qualified for Rio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

If anyone here gets info re a tv-cast of Ireland v. China I'm sure all here would appreciate it.
    Are we better off playing China than Spain? China are currently ranked 7th and Spain 14th, one below us. But current form would seem to have turned that on its head. Anyway Thursday is going to be another very big ask.

feargale wrote: »
    If anyone here gets info re a tv-cast of Ireland v. China I'm sure all here would appreciate it.
    Are we better off playing China than Spain? China are currently ranked 7th and Spain 14th, one below us. But current form would seem to have turned that on its head. Anyway Thursday is going to be another very big ask.

China's ranking is (mostly) due to finishing 2nd at the Asian games and their great 5th place in this competition in 2012/13.

In this competition results are
    beat Canada 3-0
    lost to Spain 1-0
    lost to Argentina 3-0
    lost to GB 2-0

So hopefully their confidence is gone and Ireland can get the win.

FWIW, Ireland men's competition starts on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Ireland v. China
    10.30 a.m. tomorrow.
    Sky Sports 1.

• Advertisement

Well there it goes.... Olympic qualification up in smoke in the cruelest fashion again.... another 4 years of heartache continues :(

Dan man wrote: »
    Well there it goes.... Olympic qualification up in smoke in the cruelest fashion again.... another 4 years of heartache continues :(

Apparently they still have chances to qualify if they can manage to finish 5th or 6th in the tournament.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Apparently they still have chances to qualify if they can manage to finish 5th or 6th in the tournament.

Yes, officially there is still a chance but being realistic it's highly unlikely given the quality of some teams that will be in the 5th-8th place play-off bracket. Plus our ranking will count against us in terms of any re-allocations since higher ranked sides who finish their tournament on an equal position with us will get the ticket. Hope dies last of course, but it took a hell of a bashing today so forgive me for my more pessimistic outlook this afternoon.

That was cruel. You can't fault the effort. They really gave it a super go. If they do get to Rio it will be deserved.

Luck was not on their side.

If they finished 5th or 6th, they'd need at least 4 of the qualifiers from the WHL to also qualify from the continental championships.

Asia - South Korea have already won so we'd like them to finish top 4 in the other group
    Europe - Germany/Netherlands could win both
    Americas - Argentina are 3rd in the world
    Africa - South Africa if they spring a surprise in the WHL QF
    Oceania - Australia/NZ could qualify both ways.

As Dan said it's a very long shot and they *must* win their next game

Dan man wrote: »
    Yes, officially there is still a chance but being realistic it's highly unlikely given the quality of some teams that will be in the 5th-8th place play-off bracket. Plus our ranking will count against us in terms of any re-allocations since higher ranked sides who finish their tournament on an equal position with us will get the ticket. Hope dies last of course, but it took a hell of a bashing today so forgive me for my more pessimistic outlook this afternoon.

Just watching the highlights on RTE News and they were desperately unlucky even in the shoot out. They're going to be kicking themselves this evening and wondering how they came away from that match without qualification....it was just really bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Shane Lowry has moved past Graeme McDowell in the world golf rankings this morning to place him as Irish number 2 and 45th overall. GMac is down to 48th. It will be interesting to follow over the next year as only one of them can go to the Olympics with Rory. Lowry is certainly in better form than McDowell at the moment but there's a long way to go.

The mens rugby sevens team made it comfortably through the second phase of qualification at the weekend, didnt even concede a point in any of their games. They are now into the European Repechage in Lisbon on the 25th/26th July where they must finish in the top 3 to advance to the World Repechage (1 Olympic place at stake there)

Groups for the European Repechage

Pool A Russia, Italy or Lithuania, Georgia and Ireland
    Pool B Germany, Italy or Lithuania, Romania and Latvia
    Pool C Portugal, Belgium, Poland and Ukraine

Women's team have qualified for the European Repechage tournament which is July 18th in Lisbon. They must finish in top 3 to go to world competition for a shot at Olympic spot
    Pool A Spain, Germany, Italy & Denmark
    Pool B Ireland, Portugal, Belgium & Romania
    Pool C Netherlands, Ukraine, Finland & Sweden

KevIRL wrote: »
    The mens rugby sevens team made it comfortably through the second phase of qualification at the weekend, didnt even concede a point in any of their games. They are now into the European Repechage in Lisbon on the 25th/26th July where they must finish in the top 3 to advance to the World Repechage (1 Olympic place at stake there)

Groups for the European Repechage

Pool A Russia, Italy or Lithuania, Georgia and Ireland
    Pool B Germany, Italy or Lithuania, Romania and Latvia
    Pool C Portugal, Belgium, Poland and Ukraine

Women's team have qualified for the European Repechage tournament which is July 18th in Lisbon. They must finish in top 3 to go to world competition for a shot at Olympic spot
    Pool A Spain, Germany, Italy & Denmark
    Pool B Ireland, Portugal, Belgium & Romania
    Pool C Netherlands, Ukraine, Finland & Sweden
    The next stage will be a considerable step up for Mens side. They now will be facing teams with world series experience and that's going to be tricky. Both Russia, Georgia have competed in world cups in the 15 man game and Georgia are next best in Europe in 15 man game.

Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, Canada are the 4 sides qualified so far for the 16 team world repechage which is the final tournament we will have to play and win to qualify for Rio for the mens competition.

Brendan Irvine with a bronze (at worst) in the boxing in Baku after beating the number 1 seed

• Advertisement
Advertisement