Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Strazdas wrote: »
    Indeed and that type of pressure can lead to more mistakes.

It's really up to the three Irish lads to do the business now (though that opening four faults could prove to be not particularly damaging in the long run if the Danes and Spaniards were to mess up.....let's wait and see)

Fingers crossed. As I said yesterday though, it is our lack of clear rounds which costs us..... most other top teams seem to be able to put in clear rounds more regularly, even if they do have the odd disaster in between. All those 4 faults have a habit of adding up to a not so decent total in the end. Clear rounds are so important.

4 faults for Greg..... meaning one clear round could do it for us. We have put the pressure on anyway.

17 faults for Denmark and they are gone.

Only 4 faults for Spain, after a 9 yesterday from this rider..... not good news for us, but it's so close.

The final two Spanish riders yesterday had a 5 and a 0 between them. That's decent form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Looking like a shoot out between Ireland and Spain for last spot (unless Swiss have disaster with 3rd and 4th riders).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dan man wrote: »
    The final two Spanish riders yesterday had a 5 and a 0 between them. That's decent form.

We could really do with two clears ourselves at this point.

Well Cian has 4 so we need Spain to start messing up and a clear from Denis

We need Spain to have two fences down with one of their riders.... lack of clear rounds killing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Any chance Cian O'Connor might get to take his round again after that idiot on the course almost jumped in front of his horse?

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    Any chance Cian O'Connor might get to take his round again after that idiot on the course almost jumped in front of his horse?

Lets hope so

With one rider to go. We need Denis to beat the Spanish lad by a fence

A clear round is now a must.

The tension in team Showjumping is unique. Every fence has the potential to unravel a good team performance.

Fingers crossed Denis can go clear and put it up to the Spanish rider.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great updates thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

A clear round is now a must.

Is a clear round essential Dan? I'd rather be depending on O'Connor or Allen for that.

feargale wrote: »
    Is a clear round essential Dan? I'd rather be depending on O'Connor or Allen for that.

Well I think so..... you never know but the Spanish rider was clear yesterday. Can't be relying on him to have 2 fences down.

We now need Spain to have 1 fault or more or Switzerland to have 8 or more.

Anything less and we're gone

Dodge wrote: »
    We now need Spain to have 1 fault or more or Switzerland to have 8 or more.

Anything less and we're gone

That last Spanish rider picking up a time fault might be crucial yet.

Fingers crosed.

This is cruel..... tense, tense, tense.

• Advertisement

Spain go clear and qualify.

Swiss rider is our last hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Gone. So unlucky.

Cruel to come so close. It wasn't to be.

What's this about two more places available for Rio? If that is so surely we have an overwhelming moral argument.

What's this about two more places available for Rio? If that is so surely we have an overwhelming moral argument.

Oh no, it's team 33 all over again... :)

2 individual spots.... team quota is gone. Three missed Olympics in a row, serious review needs to be taken here as that is just way beyond the worst nightmares.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the updates lads, the commentators on TG4 are out of their depth and don't seem to have any idea about the Olympic Qualification.

To all similarly heartbroken Irish fans, there will be better days ahead.

We have more than our fair share of disappointments and things are far from ideal but when the good days do come, they are certainly all the more special for it.

What I wouldn't give though to have a more efficient sports structure here though, one we could be proud of and deserve. Our athletes certainly deserve a better shot at success.

Bring on the next stop on the rollercoaster....

2 individual spots.... team quota is gone. Three missed Olympics in a row, serious review needs to be taken here as that is just way beyond the worst nightmares.

Our form was rather sloppy over the three days.

You're right though, something's not at all right here. We're supposed to be a top equestrian nation with an incredible tradition in the sport and we can't even qualify for the third time in succession.

An appeal hearing has now commenced regarding the O'Connor incident.

• Advertisement

Our form was rather sloppy over the three days.

You're right though, something's not at all right here. We're supposed to be a top equestrian nation with an incredible tradition in the sport and we can't even qualify for the third time in succession.

It's a difficult situation and I'm not one to call for change for the sake of it. At the end of the day, no matter what happens it's up to the riders and horses to perform on the big days. But having said all that, top class professional sport is cut-throat. You need to set standards and when they aren't met then there has to be repercussions. You need to keep looking forward with a fresh approach and reward success, and analyse, analyse, analyse whether in victory or defeat and make strategic investments to offer better chances of success in future. Three missed Olympics in a row.... surely, it's time for all parties to seriously look at implementing reform at all levels. And action is what is required, not words.... we have seen plenty of "action plans" and "2016 / 2020 / 2024 strategies" and post-Olympic reviews. It's still a fact that Ireland are way behind where we need to be across almost all Olympic sports in comparison with similar nations across the world, and lag way behind our European counterparts. There is a tendency thanks mainly to the local media for us to imagine we punch above our weight, but it's very far from the truth, being brutally honest.

And this is no reflection on our athletes or coaches..... they are to be commended given the situation that prevails here.

Oh no, it's team 33 all over again... :)

Wouldn't there be a case for this in fact? Demoting the Spanish would be incredibly harsh but an extra team being added to the list of qualifiers would have no real impact on the competition. It's not the same as the World Cup where there have to be groups of four teams.

The appeal was rejected, now Ireland have made a second appeal.

I would be surprised if the appeal works. Even if Ireland are successful Spain would make a counter appeal.

Skid X wrote: »
    The appeal was rejected, now Ireland have made a second appeal.

I would be surprised if the appeal works. Even if Ireland are successful Spain would make a counter appeal.

I could imagine a scenario where the appeal would be successful. A person running across the line of horse and rider (to the point where there was nearly a collision), thus distracting both of them is no trivial incident.

Edit : this second appeal has been going on for over three hours so it seems it has been taken very seriously.

Appeals committee are still deliberating after five hours. Looks like the Irish team may have had a pretty strong case otherwise this second appeal would have been dismissed relatively quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I've just got home from a family event where I was talking to my aunt (a National-level showjumping judge) and my uncle (a National-level showjumping course designer who jumped on the Irish team in his day), and when I compared it to the Henri handball and said that they're not going to retrospectively alter a result, they told me I was wrong. The rules of showjumping actually do allow for a result to be changed afterwards. Here's hoping!

I've just got home from a family event where I was talking to my aunt (a National-level showjumping judge) and my uncle (a National-level showjumping course designer who jumped on the Irish team in his day), and when I compared it to the Henri handball and said that they're not going to retrospectively alter a result, they told me I was wrong. The rules of showjumping actually do allow for a result to be changed afterwards. Here's hoping!

Even looking at that video clip that's doing the rounds, you can see it was a fairly serious incident. The guy had to run at high speed and practically dive out of the way to get away from the horse, that's how close they came.

Another factor is that no other horse had that fence down today, it was one of the easiest on the entire course : the suspicion has to be that the horse and rider were distracted.

I wouldn't be surprised if the decision went Ireland's way. Nearly six hours of deliberations now, suggesting O'Connor has a serious case.

On a happier note, Britain beat Russia 10-1 last evening in the European men's hockey, almost certainly ensuring that Russia are out of the way. Let's hope Ireland likewise dispatch France commencing 8.30 this evening.

Wouldn't there be a case for this in fact? Demoting the Spanish would be incredibly harsh but an extra team being added to the list of qualifiers would have no real impact on the competition. It's not the same as the World Cup where there have to be groups of four teams.

This was not what I had in mind when I asked about two unassigned places, the latter impression having been wrongly conveyed by a TG4 commentator. But since you mention it, why not? You are right in saying it is not as complicated as the World Cup. But I wonder if it might be complicated by the fact that the IOC and FEI are different bodies, and the former might not be enthusiastic about taking dictation from the latter.
    Another thing that worries me is that according to a Cian O'Connor interview in last night's news he has been told that according to FEI rules he should have pulled up and asked to jump again. That seems harsh. All credit to him for regaining his composure after the incident.
    The incident was so blatant that it's hard to credit it to stupidity. Am I the only cynic here?

Update from Aachen : the decision has been upheld by the appeals committee. Horsesport Ireland are considering appealing it to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

• Advertisement

This was not what I had in mind when I asked about two unassigned places, the latter impression having been wrongly conveyed by a TG4 commentator. But since you mention it, why not? You are right in saying it is not as complicated as the World Cup. But I wonder if it might be complicated by the fact that the IOC and FEI are different bodies, and the former might not be enthusiastic about taking dictation from the latter.

You would think that if there was a clear miscarriage of justice, a sensible option would be to add the aggrieved team to the event.....nobody would be particularly discommoded by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aidan Holland

I normally don't comment in this thread but the frustration over what happened today has gotten the better of me.To all those people who say we overachieve at the Olympics in terms of performance look at new zealand they should be our template for success.3 gold in Beijing 6 in London. The kiwis target certain sports like rowing kayaking slalom and invest heavily in showjumping. Their target for rio is 14 medals. We waste far to much money in athletics aside from English heffernan and aileen Reid the rest of them are not medal hopes. John treacy should go over there and examine their system. We have a proud Olympic history with athletes winning medals as far back as 1894 the first Olympic tennis champion was an Irishman. Im sick of us settling for mediocrity.

I normally don't comment in this thread but the frustration over what happened today has gotten the better of me.To all those people who say we overachieve at the Olympics in terms of performance look at new zealand they should be our template for success.3 gold in Beijing 6 in London. The kiwis target certain sports like rowing kayaking slalom and invest heavily in showjumping. Their target for rio is 14 medals. We waste far to much money in athletics aside from English heffernan and aileen Reid the rest of them are not medal hopes. John treacy should go over there and examine their system. We have a proud Olympic history with athletes winning medals as far back as 1894 the first Olympic tennis champion was an Irishman. Im sick of us settling for mediocrity.

Denmark too will be targeting 10-15 medals in Rio across a variety of sports (team and individual)... handball, rowing, canoeing, sailing, badminton, swimming, athletics, shooting, archery, fencing, golf, tennis, cycling (various forms of cycling, BMX, track, etc.).... all of which they have won medals in at World Championships during this Olympic cycle (except tennis and golf of course). They've qualified for the men's football too.

Denmark have won 4 golds 10 silvers and 13 bronze in world championship Olympic events already in this Olympic cycle.

That's the bar we should be aiming for. In comparison Ireland have won 2 golds 1 silver and 1 bronze (across two sports, athletics and boxing). We have the potential but we need a completely different mindset to sport in this country.

Edit: New Zealand have won a total of 17 golds 14 silvers and 7 bronze in Olympic events in this cycle....plus they are gods of rugby. That's quite a comparison and makes for sobering reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

Update from Aachen : the decision has been upheld by the appeals committee. Horsesport Ireland are considering appealing it to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Crazy, totally crazy that this sort of mess-up can happen at such a big stage! Surely a case for the Court of Arbitration.

Ireland win 4-3 against France in the hockey.

Crazy, totally crazy that this sort of mess-up can happen at such a big stage! Surely a case for the Court of Arbitration.

You would think so. You'd wonder how they would have reacted if Germany had been prevented from qualifying by such an incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

O'Connor rides for himself not for Ireland, he lost an Olympic medal before for cheating, most of these show jumping types are just rich egomaniacs, you can see O'Connor's tantrum at the end of the round, throwing his toys out of his pram, because "he" clipped a fence. The steward should not have been there, but it was before the horse even turned into the fence.
    If it had been anyone else except O'Connor that it happened to I would have some sympathy.

As for someones comment above that we send athletes to games who have no chance of winning a medal, first and foremost athletes deserve to go if they have met the qualifying criteria, secondly they need to gain experience of championships before they could possibly compete for medals and lastly, i have no issue with us spending money on these athletes rater than on pompous rich people riding horses.

Ireland win 4-3 against France in the hockey.

Not wonderful, but it will do. France actually led for a few minutes in the middle of the game. Anyway, that should hopefully see France off. France are unlikely to beat Belgium and won't beat Germany.
    P.S. My mistake re. the time of the Ireland-France game. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Hopefully we can win some medals here, we have the potential but not the right resources in many sports sadly.

• Advertisement

Arthur Lanigan O'Keeffe is European champion in the modern pentathlon!!

Top 8 qualified for Rio but he only went and won the gold!!

Amazing performance

Advertisement