Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Where and when are the opportunities for swimming qualification? I understand a swimmer must achieve a time, but can this be done anywhere anytime?
    Dodge? Dan?

Results of men's HOCKEY tournament in South Africa:

14th January 16.00 Ireland 2 v 0 Canada

16th January 14.00 Ireland 1 v 1 Canada

17th January 14.00 Ireland 2 v 3 Spain

18th January 18.00 Ireland 3 v 3 South Africa

20th January 18.00 Ireland 4 v 2 Canada

21st January 16.00 Ireland 0 v 0 Canada

23rd January 12.00 Ireland 2 v 6 Belgium

24th January 12.00 Ireland 3 v 6 Belgium

One might have hoped for better given that Ireland drew with Belgium in last year's Europeans. A slight edge over Canada, a team in Ireland's Rio group, was the very least to be expected against that country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

feargale wrote: »
    Where and when are the opportunities for swimming qualification? I understand a swimmer must achieve a time, but can this be done anywhere anytime?
    Dodge? Dan?

Yes, anytime in any recognised event. Deadline is July 3rd

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for swimmers. Sycerika McMahon should make it if she gets back into swimming fully. Shaune O'Brien came close to the "Olympic Selection Time" which would make her eligible to compete if the limit wasn't reached by swimmers with the qualifying time

Conor Ferguson is a junior and has already got the OST. He could get the QST if he improves again this year. Alex Murphy won bronze at the Euro short ocourse champs last year in 50m backstroke but that isn't an Olympic event. he'll need a big improvement to make the team at 100m but he's clearly talented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

What actually happened with Sycerika McMahon? She seemed like a promising talent, got a scholarship in Texas (where I think she is still studying), but seemed to fall completely off the radar in terms of swimming in the last year or two. Does anyone know if there was a specific reason why things haven't seemed to work out for her as we had hoped?

What actually happened with Sycerika McMahon? She seemed like a promising talent, got a scholarship in Texas (where I think she is still studying), but seemed to fall completely off the radar in terms of swimming in the last year or two. Does anyone know if there was a specific reason why things haven't seemed to work out for her as we had hoped?
    I follow her on twitter. She posted stuff like 'my heads back in the game now' within the last 6-8 months. I guess she just start enjoying college lifestyle a bit too much

She's still at Texas A & M so we'll see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

She's still swimming. If you follow her on twitter etc. She is as you say a student and she is swimming but she's doing normal student stuff which is fine. I wouldn't worry too much as she's another 18 months over there and that's a lot of time....

__________________________________________________ RIO 2016. QUALIFICATION TIMELINE. ______________________________________________________

JAN 25-30. SAILING. World Cup @ Miami. ( Places already secured. Only relevant as to who represents Ireland. Annalise Murphy already selected.)

FEB 1-14 BOXING. AIBA Women's World Championships @ Astana. ( Top four in each weight qualify.)
    FEB 19-24 FINA DIVING World Cup @ Rio. ( 18 semi-finalists will get a quota place, subject to a maximum of two per country. Top 12 finalists in each event are already qualified from the 2015 World Championships @ Kazan. )

MAR 4-6 SWIMMING. Dave McCullagh Memorial Meeting @ Bangor.
    MAR 5-6 JUDO Irish Open @ DCU Sports Complex. ( Lisa Kearney being ruled out by injury, this seems academic.)
    MAR 6 CYCLING. Ranking Date for Men's World Track Cycling.
    MAR 6 EQUESTRIAN window closes.
    MAR 11-13 SWIMMING. World Series @ Beijing.
    MAR 17-19 SWIMMING. World Series @ Dubai.
    MAR 26-Apr 2 SAILING Princess Sofia Trophy Regatta @ Palma de Mallorca.
    MAR 31 JUDO IJF Grand Prix @ Samsun, Turkey. ( see above re. Lisa Kearney.)

APR 12-17 SWIMMING. British Olympic trials @ Glasgow ( can a Northern Ireland swimmer take part, and represent Ireland if the time is achieved?)
    APR 15-17 SWIMMING World Series @ Windsor, Canada.
    APR 16-24 GYMNASTICS Olympic Test Event @ Rio.
    APR 20-MAY1 BOXING AIBA. European Olympic Qualifying Competition ( Men & Women ) @ Istanbul. [Top 3 men and top 2 women in each weight qualify.]
    APR 22-24 SWIMMING World Series @ Kazan.

MAY 1 BADMINTON Qualification Deadline.
    MAY 5 BADMINTON. World Federation Rankings List to be published.
    MAY 9-15 European DIVING Championships @ London. ( including synchronised swimming.) Winner qualifies for Rio.
    MAY 13-15 European CANOEING Slalom Championships @ Slovakia.
    MAY 15 TRIATHLON. World Ranking Date.
    MAY 16-22 European LEN SWIMMING Championships @ London.
    MAY 16-22 European Long Course SWIMMING Championships @ Setubal.
    MAY 18-19 CANOEING C&F ( including sprints ) Qualifications @ Duitsburg.
    MAY 19-27 Women's World BOXING Championships
    MAY 22-25 ROWING. European ( and last ) Qualification Regatta @ Lucerne.
    MAY 23-29 ARCHERY. European Championships @ Nottingham.
    MAY 25. CYCLING. Mountain Biking UCI Olympic Qualification Ranking
    MAY 30 JUDO. IJF World Ranking Date.
    MAY 31. CYCLING. Ranking Date for Women ( and for Men re. BMX & Road racing. )

JUNE 7-19.BOXING. Final AIBA Qualifying event @ Baku. ( Number qualifying in men's weights: 46kg & 49kg = 2; 52kg-81kg = 5; 91kg & 91kg+ = 1. )
    JUNE 11-12 Open water SWIMMING Qualifier @ Setubal.
    JUNE 13-18 World ARCHERY Championships @ Antalya.
    JUNE 18-19. RUGBY SEVENS MEN'S Repechage Tournament @ Stade Louis, Monaco.
    JUNE 25-26 RUGBY SEVENS WOMEN'S Repechage Tournament @ UCD Bowl, Dublin.

JULY 2. SWIMMING Great Manchester Swim ( marathon )
    JULY 3. SWIMMING. Last date to qualify ( including open water swimming. ) The last two events, the French Open and the Luxembourg Open take place today.
    JULY 11 ATHLETICS. Last date to qualify.
    JULY 11 GOLF. Ranking Date.
    JULY 15. ARCHERY. World Archery to reallocate all unused places.
    JULY 18. GYMNASTICS. FIG to reallocate all unused places.
    JULY 18. CLOSING DATE for qualification in all sports and disciplines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

APR 12-17 SWIMMING? British Olympic trials @ Glasgow ( can a Northern Ireland swimmer take part, and represent Ireland if the time is achieved?)

Usually this competition is open to swimmers from all nations but finals are closed to British swimmers only - NI swimmers are Irish not British in swimming therefore can swim heats but not finals.

Some of the potential Olympic qualifiers are in Luxembourg this weekend at the Luxembourg Euro Meet for a first shot at the times in 2016.

Good stuff Feargale. Maybe add in the diving dates as Oliver Dingley is hoping to get in there

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flynng

Wow Feargale, very impressive list. Alot of work went into compiling that. Fairplay!
    I'm always interested in how our athletes do in minority sports. Who should we be watching out for in terms of possible qualifiers? Are there potential qualifiers in terms of some of the athletes we sent to Baku- re. Diving/Wrestling/Archery/Judo/Shooting? Granted some were Junior/University athletes or non Olympic disciplines. But interested in people's take all the same. Many of you who post here have your fingers well on the pulse.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Good stuff Feargale. Maybe add in the diving dates as Oliver Dingley is hoping to get in there

Thanks Dodge. I have two diving events in at Feb 19th and May 9th which, I thought, were the only two relevant dates. Are there other dates for diving?
    I thought my biggest flaw was an absence of track and field events. I'll take another look at that.
    flynng wrote: »
    Wow Feargale, very impressive list. Alot of work went into compiling that. Fairplay!
    Many of you who post here have your fingers well on the pulse.

Thanks flynng. There were similar threads for London 2012 to which Dan man and Dodge in particular made a magnificent contribution. Unfortunately Dan hasn't been posting recently and I just hope he will be back soon. I would hate to think that this thread will have to make do with half of that duo. If Dan is reading this he should know that he's missed around here.

Some swimmers looking for times in Luxembourg this weekend including the ex US swimmer Shane Ryan (who I forgot was switching nationality)

http://m.rte.ie/sport/swimming/2016/0129/763916-shane-ryan-eyes-olympic/

Results here
    http://euromeet.lu/En/Results/Default.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ryan won in 54.70, not quite a QT.

Alex Murphy also won the 50 breaststroke in 27.61.

Both were meet records.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/other-sports/in-form-lynch-looks-to-boost-olympic-hopes-380182.html

Denis Lynch hoping to secure a 2nd spot for Ireland in showjumping (with Bertram Allen looking almost certain to get one)

Riders from Belgium, Italy and Sweden are our biggest opposition

Denis Lynch hoping to secure a 2nd spot for Ireland in showjumping (with Bertram Allen looking almost certain to get one)

I believe Denis Lynch secured that second place. Can you confirm?

AUSTRALIA WOMEN v IRELAND WOMEN - SYDNEY 7s SERIES:

Match 1 - Saturday, February 6 - Australia 26 Ireland 7
    Match 2 - Sunday, February 7 - Australia 29 v Ireland 7
    Match 3 - Sunday, February 7 - Australia 24 v Ireland 0

This was a friendly series. As regards Olympic qualification I wouldn't worry unduly about the results as Australia rank 6th or 7th in the world. However, they are indicative of the mountain facing Ireland's women if they do get to Rio.
    I saw the closing stages of the second game and I thought the Irish were way off the mark for speed. Also the Aussies seemed to have an edge strengthwise.
    Despite the margin the Aussie commentator expressed himself impressed by the Irish and singled out Louise Galvin, Amee-Leigh Murphy-Crowe and Eimear Considine for special mention.

The rankings aren't finished yet but he's qualified for the World Cup final so that's a big help.

Horse sport Ireland have said the 2 lads are in the top 4 but I haven't seen the Olympic rankings myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

6th of March is the cut off date for points. At the moment we would have 2 places. It won't be necessarily the 2 with the most points that will compete though. That's up to Robert Splaine and HSI as to who they think has the best chance come closer to the event.

Rankings for Group A (North Western Europe) here

http://fei.org/system/files/S_rankings_OG_2016_31.1_group.pdf

First 10 riders are all Irish so we are almost guaranteed that spot.

This article explains it well
    http://www.worldofshowjumping.com/Olympic-Games/Updated-FEI-Olympic-Athletes-Ranking-Allen-and-Wathelet-on-top-of-Group-A-and-B.html

After each of the groups are awarded their spots, the next 4 places are awarded irrespective of groups.

Here's the overall rankings
    http://fei.org/system/files/S_rankings_OG_2016_31.1.pdf

At the moment, the 4 extra spots would go to Portugal, Italy, Belgium and Ireland.

Rankings for Group A (North Western Europe) here

http://fei.org/system/files/S_rankings_OG_2016_31.1_group.pdf

First 10 riders are all Irish so we are almost guaranteed that spot.

This article explains it well
    http://www.worldofshowjumping.com/Olympic-Games/Updated-FEI-Olympic-Athletes-Ranking-Allen-and-Wathelet-on-top-of-Group-A-and-B.html

After each of the groups are awarded their spots, the next 4 places are awarded irrespective of groups.

Here's the overall rankings
    http://fei.org/system/files/S_rankings_OG_2016_31.1.pdf

At the moment, the 4 extra spots would go to Portugal, Italy, Belgium and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Denis Lynch would have picked up a good few points at the weekend with his good show in Bordeaux though. Hopefully move him up another bit.

http://road-to-rio.com/

This website gives more info on Athletics qualifying including athletes who may qualify without reaching the QST. For Ireland

Apart from those with the time we have
    110m Hurdles - Ben Reynolds - Currently ranked 35th and they need 40 athletes. The QST is 13.47 and Ben ran 13.48. As it stands, he'd go to the games

4x400m team - currently ranked 14th (15th if Russia's suspension is overturned). Teams behind us include Venezuala, Japan, Algeria, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Czexh Republic, Netherlands, Ghana. Our Average time is 3:03.16

200m - Kelly Proper She's ranked 56th and that's the cut off point. Her best time is 23.24 and the QST is 23.20

5,000m - Mary Cullen She's currently one of the top 8 non qualified runners but there's no quota for this event so she'll have to run the time

Diving qualifiers start on Sunday. Top 18 qualify

Oliver Dingley and Natasha McManus go for Ireland

http://utv.ie/Sport/2016/02/15/Irish-Olympic-diving-hopefuls-eye-Rio-qualification-54134&utm_medium=twitter

Infostrada Virtual Medals Table, last updated on 2nd February, is predicting five medals for Ireland, two gold, two silver and one bronze as follows: gold for Katie Taylor and Michael Conlon, silver for Rory McIlroy and Joe Ward, and bronze for Rob Heffernan.

Infostrada Virtual Medals Table, last updated on 2nd February, is predicting five medals for Ireland, two gold, two silver and one bronze as follows: gold for Katie Taylor and Michael Conlon, silver for Rory McIlroy and Joe Ward, and bronze for Rob Heffernan.

They base that solely on world championships and world rankings. Pretty useless TBH even if they're great with stats and info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

What's the story with Canoe Slalom?

The young one that played the 'title role' in The Snapper when she was a day old is 23 now and was on the Late late last night, and apparently is on the Irish Canoe Slalom team. I remember hearing a year or two ago (actually, it must be two coz I think she was 21 at the time) that she was hoping to get to Rio.

Any chance of that happening?

She (or any Irish canoeist) will have to win the last European qualifier to get a spot. Not looking likely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

What's the story with Canoe Slalom?

The young one that played the 'title role' in The Snapper when she was a day old is 23 now and was on the Late late last night, and apparently is on the Irish Canoe Slalom team. I remember hearing a year or two ago (actually, it must be two coz I think she was 21 at the time) that she was hoping to get to Rio.

Any chance of that happening?

Like a lot of Irish athletes it's possible but she's got a real uphill battle.
    Of course it doesn't help that there aren't really any facilities for her sport in the country...but that's another matter.

• Advertisement

In the marathon Mick Clohissey ran another qualifying time in Seville. He moves from 3rd fastest to 2nd fastest

Gladys Ganiel became the 4th women with the qualifying time so at the moment we have 4 for both men and women with the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Swim Ireland
    @swimireland
    At the end of round 4 Ollie remains in 7th place. 2 rounds to go. Top 18 will qualify a place for Ireland at the Olympic Games!

https://twitter.com/swimireland/status/701435194037899265

His last dive was his lowest score so we're waiting now...

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Natasha McManus failed to progress in the Womens 3m Springboard coming 47th out of 54 competitors.

@swimirelandNatasha MacManus finishes in 47th place overall in the women's 3m springboard at the #DivingWorldCup in Rio with 211.85 points.

Unfortunately Natasha McManus failed to progress in the Womens 3m Springboard coming 47th out of 54 competitors
    6h6 hours agoSwim

@swimirelandNatasha MacManus finishes in 47th place overall in the women's 3m springboard at the #DivingWorldCup in Rio with 211.85 points.

They base that solely on world championships and world rankings. Pretty useless TBH even if they're great with stats and info

Of course. They are no more reliable than the opinion polls beloved of the fans of a different kind of sport. The margin of error may be even greater.
    Melbourne 1956 was as successful as London 2012, heightening expectations of Rome 1960. In the event Ireland returned from Rome with SFA. That should temper any optimism generated by London.
    So, savour the moment. The reality may be different.

Current Irish team - 54

Athletics - team of 17

Tom Barr - 400m hurdles
    Mark English - 800m
    Ciara Everard - 800m
    Ciara Mageen - 1,500m
    Sara Treacy - 3,000m steeplechase
    Michelle Finn - 3,000m steeplechase
    Kerry O'Flaherty - 3,000m steeplechase

Tori Pena - Pole vault

Alex Wright - 20k walk
    Rob Heffernan - 50k walk
    Brendan Boyce - 50k walk

3 of these women - marathon
    Breege Connolly^
    Lizzie Lee^
    Fionnuala Britton^
    Gladys Ganiel^
    Barbara Sanchez^

3 of these men - marathon
    Segiu Ciobanu*
    Kevin Seaward*
    Paul Pollock*
    Mick Clohissey* - marathon

Boxing - team of 4
    Paddy Barnes - 49kg light fly
    Michael Conlon - 56kg bantam
    Steven Donnelly - 69kg welter
    Joe Ward - 81kg Light heavy

Equestrian - team of 4
    Team (inc 4 individuals) - 3 day eventing

Sailing - team of 4
    Annalise Murphy - Laser radial
    James Espey - laser dinghy
    Ryan Seaton/Matt McGovern - 49er

Rowing - team of 4
    Claire Lambe/Sinead Jennings - LW double
    Gary O'Donovan/Paul O'Donovan - LW double

Modern Pentathlon - team of 1
    Arthur Lannigan-O'Keeffe - Mens individual

Swimming - team of 1
    Fiona Doyle - 100m breast (also has QT in 200m breast)

Hockey - 1 team of 16 players
    Players selected before the tournament

Cycling - team of 2
    2 quota places - men's road race

Diving - team of 1
    Oliver Dingley - 3m springboard
    ---

Currently in ranking positions for Rio
    Athletics
    Ben Reynolds - 110m hurdles
    Kelly Proper - 200m
    Team of 6 - Men's 4x400m relay

Badminton
    Scott Evans - Men's Singles

Show jumping
    Bertram Allen - Individual
    Denis Lynch - Individual

Triathlon
    Aileen Reid - Women's race

Golf
    Rory McIlroy - men's
    Shane Lowry - men's
    Stephanie Meadow - women's
    Leona Maguire - women's

Of those we're almost guaranteed 6 spots (4 in golf, 1 in triathlon and 1 in show jumping).

I think we'll get a team of 70+ now

• Advertisement

Disappointing to hear that Grainne Murphy has retired. Showed great potential in her early days but injuries seemed to prevent her from delivering on her promise.

Another potential qualifier. Judy Reynolds in dressage is 9th on the Olympic qualifying list with less than a month to go

There's 2 spots for groups A, B & C with 1 each for the rest. Then 6 additional places. She's currently in the 4th of those spots

http://fei.org/system/files/D_rankings_OG_2016_31.1.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

In the marathon Mick Clohissey ran another qualifying time in Seville. He moves from 3rd fastest to 2nd fastest

Gladys Ganiel became the 4th women with the qualifying time so at the moment we have 4 for both men and women with the time

Actually we have 8 or so qualified in the marathon since they weakened the standard from 2:17 to 2:19. Clohissey moves ahead of Ciobanu by a few seconds, but that may not be enough, as the selection criteria states that the various qualification windows will be taken into account for selection. Ciobanu achieved his time back in Setptember, while Clohissey in February. With near identical times, I think Ciobanu keeps the upper hand here.

CAS statement on the Russian workers states it will issue a statement "in the next few days"

We'll find out then, hopefully, that Rob Heffernan gets a bronze medal from London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Excellent interview with Rob Heffernan on off the ball last night. Really hope he gets the medal, clearly means so much to him.

next monday is d-day for 3 sports with rankings

Show jumping - we expect Bertram Allen and Denis Lynch to be confirmed
    Dressage - Judy Reynolds is right on the edge of selection
    Track cycling - very unlikely unless someone really excels at this week's world championships

It seems professional boxers will compete at Rio (Irish Times Wednesday.) That's very bad news for Ireland, and, I venture, bad news for sport in general.

It seems professional boxers will compete at Rio (Irish Times Wednesday.) That's very bad news for Ireland, and, I venture, bad news for sport in general.

It's crap but I don't think it'll change anything for Rio. Tyson Fury has said he wants to enter for Ireland or GB. He still needs to be put forward by IABA. Can't see it happening

It seems bizarre to potentially move the goalposts this close to the event. It might make some kind of sense for 2020 but it's surely too late to have much impact on 2016 - as all the events are limited in terms of the number of qualifiers, how could they even make room for professionals at this stage?

If it was to happen for 2020 it might be a way to keep Conlan involved and maybe get the likes of Nevin back.

The vote is to happen on June 1st. It will leave 3 spots open at the lower weights with 1 spot for each of the top 2 weights. Most of the major powers would already have their qualifier so there wouldn't be too many looking to go for it

And that's before nations with elite programmes spending thousands on a guy and then discard him for a pro who won't be used to fighting 3x3 just so he can win 4/5 qualifying bouts (for nothing).

I'll be amazed if this has any effect for Rio.

I hope it's voted against

• Advertisement
Advertisement