Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Thank you Dan. She said on Facebook that she won her first World Cup event, meaning her first race in the series in Miami. I thought she meant the whole competetion.:)

Yeah, I thought that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

She said on Facebook that she was winning the event, not that she won the event ;)

Annalise slipped back to 2nd overall after another solid day of sailing where she picked up a 5th place and 2 second places. Homegirl Page Railey of USA is now in the lead, but only 2 points ahead of Annalise. 2 races to go in main fleet racing and then the medal races on Saturday.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

thanks for the update, Dan. All to play for...;)

Annalise is back n front after a perfect day from her out on the Miami waters, scoring 2 more race victories. She has a 4 point lead over her main rival Paige Railey of the US with the medal race on tomorrow. Great start to the season and indeed the Olympic cycle for Annalise no matter what the end result tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Yep. She really means business and is laying down a big marker for her rivals...:)

Disastrous day for Annalise where she finished 5th, 8th and 7th to slip out of the medals, finishing the World Cup event in 4th place.
    Disappointing end result for Murphy but she's gaining experience all of the time. These setbacks is what can be the making future champions.
    She'll face stiffer opposition as the season progresses but still not a bad result for her despite the disappointment of missing out on the medals. Next World Cup event is in Palma de Mallorca at the end of March-beginning of April.

Thanks Dan.

Looks like she's taking it well judging by her FB comments..:

"So things didn't go to plan today. Actually they went a bit disastrously...but I had a good week learnt a lot and felt like I really improved. Thanks for all the support this week."

Roll on Palma...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What were weather conditions like in Miami for Annalise?

feargale wrote: »
    What were weather conditions like in Miami for Annalise?

I think the conditions were changeable but the wind was generally favourable for her (we know the windier the better Annalise is at handling those conditions). Not sure about today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Olive Loughnane has retired

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2013/0212/367352-loughnane-calls-time-on-athletics-career/

Was unlikley to make Rio anyway, had some great results in her career, and 4 time Olympian aint half bad.

In somewhat good news for Irish Olympic prospects going forward, wrestling has been voted off the Olympic programme for the 2020 Olympic Games. Now, you're probably asking how the hell is this good for Irish chances? Well Modern Pentathlon, a sport in which young Irish athletes are excelling on the world stage was one of the sports highly talked about being voted off the programme in 2020. The IOC policy is to remove 1 sport from the programme for each Olympics but that sport must be replaced so that the 28-sport quota is maintained.
    However, as bad a day as it is for wrestling, they still have a decent chance of being re-added to the 2020 Olympic programme as they will now go forward with the other 7 candidates namely squash, wushu, karate, roller sports, wakeboarding, baseball/softball and sports climbing to look for inclusion onto the Olympic programme. The IOC must vote one of those sports onto the 2020 Olympic programme so all is not lost for wrestling. Their biggest weakness lies in the TV prduction costs for wrestling which seems to be much higher per hour when compared to the other sports that were in danger of being culled. Modern Pentathlon had been making huge efforts to make the sport more dynamic in recent times and this seems to have paid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

KevIRL wrote: »
    Olive Loughnane has retired

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2013/0212/367352-loughnane-calls-time-on-athletics-career/

Was unlikley to make Rio anyway, had some great results in her career, and 4 time Olympian aint half bad.

Hard-working, humble athlete, great ambassador for this country. I have no idea if her experience is being used to mentor, it should be if that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Walking is possibly the most underrated sport in this country.

Between Olive Loughnane, Gillian O Sullivan(silver in Worlds 2003) and Rob Heffernan we have produced world class walkers.

Think we have produced few others who have done well in past too just cant think of name or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm just enormously surprised that wrestling has lost out. It gave a large number of countries their best chance of medalling, mainly in the Middle East and South Asia. They must carry very little weight in Olympic deliberations.

Walking is possibly the most underrated sport in this country.

Between Olive Loughnane, Gillian O Sullivan(silver in Worlds 2003) and Rob Heffernan we have produced world class walkers.

Think we have produced few others who have done well in past too just cant think of name or two.

New Ross athlete Jimmy McDonald finished 6th in the men's 20km walk at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 and also we have more greats coming through, namely Kate Veale who is the world youth champion (sounds great to say that :)). Our young London 2012 Olympians Laura Reynolds and Brendan Boyce have every chance of following a similar progression to that of Loughnane and Heffernan respectively given their great showing in London and over the past season.

feargale wrote: »
    I'm just enormously surprised that wrestling has lost out. It gave a large number of countries their best chance of medalling, mainly in the Middle East and South Asia. They must carry very little weight in Olympic deliberations.

Yes it is utterly surprising given the tradition of the sport and it's association with the Olympic Games. I think it will be voted back onto the programme in September which means that no new sports will have been added, which is also a shame as I think it's high time that squash in particular takes it's place among the Olympic sports.

Out of interest Dan, what sport is being replace by Golf in Rio..?

Out of interest Dan, what sport is being replace by Golf in Rio..?

No sport was replaced for Rio 2016 when golf and rugby sevens got voted in. However, the sports are now capped at 28 and the IOC has a policy whereby one sport will be voted off the list of core sports and go under review along with the other candidate sports looking for inclusion. Wrestling has to go through this process so it's Olympic place is now seriously under threat. Having said that, I think it is more likely to be voted onto the programme than the other candidates, thus retaining its place in the Olympics.

Squash is a super sport. Love to see it in Olympics.

I played it few years ago when I was gone bit heavy and weight falls off you. You use all your muscles it really is a great sport.

Not sure if anyone from Ireland is any good though myself.(inm world level)

• Advertisement

Squash is a super sport. Love to see it in Olympics.

I played it few years ago when I was gone bit heavy and weight falls off you. You use all your muscles it really is a great sport.

Not sure if anyone from Ireland is any good though myself.(inm world level)

It is a great sport and the elite players are super athletes. Ireland has a decent tradition in squash and currently we have a couple of top class players in the women's game, in particular Madeline Perry who is well into her 30s at this stage but is competing as well as ever. She's been in and out of the world's top 10 over the last couple of years, and was as high as 3rd in the world at one stage of her career and she remains in a lofty position in the rankings. She got to the quarter-finals of the most recent World Championships only eliminated by the evergreen, ever dominant Nicol David from Malaysia, the eventual winner.
    Aisling Blake has been a good servant too over the last few seasons. The women's team reached the quarter-finals of the Women's Team World Championships for the second time in succession.
    I know on the men's side we have been represented by Arthur Gaskin for the last number of seasons. There are others too but I just can't bring them to mind.

Dan man wrote: »
    It is a great sport and the elite players are super athletes. Ireland has a decent tradition in squash and currently we have a couple of top class players in the women's game, in particular Madeline Perry who is well into her 30s at this stage but is competing as well as ever. She's been in and out of the world's top 10 over the last couple of years, and was as high as 3rd in the world at one stage of her career and she remains in a lofty position in the rankings. She got to the quarter-finals of the most recent World Championships only eliminated by the evergreen, ever dominant Nicol David from Malaysia, the eventual winner.
    Aisling Blake has been a good servant too over the last few seasons. The women's team reached the quarter-finals of the Women's Team World Championships for the second time in succession.
    I know on the men's side we have been represented by Arthur Gaskin for the last number of seasons. There are others too but I just can't bring them to mind.

That's great to hear.

Did not realise that we were that strong.

Its a pity some sports dont get more coverage. I know team sports will always be number one in any country, but it be nice for sports like Squash, Walking (dozens more) to get more recognition.

Irish Olympic kayaker Eoin Rheinisch will compete on the international scene for at least 1 more season. He doesn't have any plans to compete in Rio 2016 but will take things as they come. He is beginning to turn his attention to a role in coaching young Irish talent in the sport but will remain in training for 2013. His 4th place finish in Beijing was an outstanding achievement and has set a very difficult benchmark for our future stars of the sport to follow.
    Good luck to Eoin in 2013!

Big tournament taking place in the coming week for the Irish men's hockey team. Ireland are participating in the 2nd round of the World Hockey League and are in a six team pool along with hosts India, Bangladesh, Fiji, Oman and China. Only the top 2 teams will progress to the Semi-Final Round of the World League but progression in this tournament is not the only thing at stake. The World League also offers a chance to teams that have reached the Semi-Final stage to book a place at the upcoming Hockey World Cup in 2014. So plenty to play for in New Delhi this coming week for the Irish lads, the very best of luck to them.

Here is the fixture list and I will be updating regularly as results come in (all times are given in Irish time):

18.02.2013 (08:30am) China v Oman
    18.02.2013 (10:30am) Ireland 5-2 Bangladesh
    18.02.2013 (02:30pm) India v Fiji
    20.02.2013 (10:30am) Fiji v Ireland
    20.02.2013 (12:30pm) China v Bangladesh
    20.02.2013 (02:30pm) India v Oman
    21.02.2013 (08:30am) Fiji v China
    21.02.2013 (10:30am) Bangladesh v Oman
    21.02.2013 (02:30pm) Ireland v India
    23.02.2013 (10:30am) Bangladesh v Fiji
    23.02.2013 (12:30pm) Oman v Ireland
    23.02.2013 (02:30pm) China v India
    24.02.2013 (06:30am) Oman v Fiji
    24.02.2013 (10:30am) Ireland v China
    24.02.2013 (02:30pm) India v Bangladesh

Country|P|W|WD|LD|L|F|A|+/-|PTS
    Bangladesh|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
    China|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
    Fiji|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
    India|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
    Ireland|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
    Oman|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

* Just a sidenote on the competition format....3 points for a win in regulation time. If the match is tied after regulation time, then the match goes to a penalty shoot-out to determine how the spoils are shared. The winner of the shootout receives 2 points (represented by WD in the table) with the loser receiving 1 point (represented by LD in the table).

Thanks a million Dan :)

All the very best to the team. It won't be easy but lets see how things pan out. First game is tomorrow morning. According to the Times of India we are the toughest opponents for the home team... http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/hockey/top-stories/India-favourites-among-men-womens-face-tricky-challenge-in-HWL/articleshow/18543193.cms?

First game down and all 3 points in the bag for the Irish men against Bangladesh folowing a 5-2 victory. Good recovery considering Bangladesh were 2-0 up early on but the lads pushed on afterwards. In all honesty, Ireland will need to play a great deal better in their remaining matches if they are to be successful at this tournament, but as they say a win is a win....

Here is the fixture list and I will be updating regularly as results come in (all times are given in Irish time):

18.02.2013 (08:30am) China 4-0 Oman
    18.02.2013 (02:30pm) India 16-0 Fiji
    20.02.2013 (10:30am) Fiji v Ireland
    20.02.2013 (12:30pm) China v Bangladesh
    20.02.2013 (02:30pm) India v Oman

India|1|1|0|0|0|16|0|+16|3
    China|1|1|0|0|0|4|0|+4|3
    Ireland|1|1|0|0|0|5|2|+3|3
    Bangladesh|1|0|0|0|1|2|5|-3|0
    Oman|1|0|0|0|1|0|4|-4|0
    Fiji|1|0|0|0|1|0|16|-16|0

* Just a sidenote on the competition format....3 points for a win in regulation time. If the match is tied after regulation time, then the match goes to a penalty shoot-out to determine how the spoils are shared. The winner of the shootout receives 2 points (represented by WD in the table) with the loser receiving 1 point (represented by LD in the table).

Fiji should be a win for us I'd have thought. Is our big game against China for who gets the guaranteed second place..?

Fiji should be a win for us I'd have thought. Is our big game against China for who gets the guaranteed second place..?

I'd say that's a fair appraisal of the task at hand. Not much separating Ireland and China on paper, Ireland don't seem as strong as they were over the last couple of years and I'd have been very confident of qualification from a similar pool pre-Olympics. Still though, I'd still make Ireland favourites ahead of China with India as favourites to top the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

13-0 win for Ireland over Fiji

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    13-0 win for Ireland over Fiji

Yes, and perhaps even more significant is the fact that China has lost 3-2 to Bangladesh, opening the door to qualification right up for Ireland.

18.02.2013 (08:30am) China 4-0 Oman
    18.02.2013 (02:30pm) India 16-0 Fiji
    20.02.2013 (10:30am) Fiji 0-13 Ireland
    20.02.2013 (12:30pm) China 2-3 Bangladesh
    20.02.2013 (02:30pm) India 9-1 Oman

India|2|2|0|0|0|25|1|+24|6
    Ireland|2|2|0|0|0|18|2|+16|6
    China
    |2|1|0|0|1|6|3|+3|3

Bangladesh|2|1|0|0|1|5|7|-2|3
    Oman|2|0|0|0|2|1|13|-12|0
    Fiji|2|0|0|0|2|0|29|-29|0

Advertisement