Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 too late

Options
  • 17-10-2012 7:48pm
    Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Howdy

Im looking for advice on if im too old to take on a collage course at 35? by the time i'm done be very close to 40!! also the maths aspect scares the s*** out of me as by far my worst subject!! :confused:

Comments

I was 17 when I went to college. That may have been too early! There were students who were in their 60s in my year. Your age has nothing to do with it, we all keep learning throughout our lives either in a lecture theatre or outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I have had students in the 70s OP.
    35 would be about the lower end of average for Mature students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deanlandon

Absolutely not too late - as they say better late than never!

I'd advise taking some preparatory courses in advance of starting - or even see whether you can audit some classes; just to geta feel for it! All it requires is a little patience!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It depends what you're hoping to achieve. Are you looking to start again in something completely different or are you trying to upskill yourself to progress in your current job.
    Have you gotta particular course in mind that is heavy in Maths? If you don't think you are able do a course with less Maths. However you may find that the mental block you had when you were younger about Maths was more a function (see what I did there??:D) of a youthful lack of interest that maturity will fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I didn't start third level till I was 41, if I follow the route I'm thinking of taking while working part time , I should finish when I'm 44 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I know a couple of mature students with ages ranging from 28 to 65. Those are the ones I know, but I'm aware of some who are older.
    Many colleges have Math Support services who will help you. They won't do the assignment for you, but they'll work with you through any problems.
    Don't let the age issue hold you back and take a good look at various who offer good supports for struggling students. You'll find that regardless of age, math can scare the hell out of a lot of people.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! :)

My background is only junior cert second level and 15 years working as cnc programmer in engineering sector which is also the course i want to do mechanical engineering or related. I have a genuine interest but i'm aware of the heavy math load in the course.

So i dont know maybe the fact i have a grounding in the subject would help my confidence with the m word haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Went back to College @ 44 - go for it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! :)

My background is only junior cert second level and 15 years working as cnc programmer in engineering sector which is also the course i want to do mechanical engineering or related. I have a genuine interest but i'm aware of the heavy math load in the course.

So i dont know maybe the fact i have a grounding in the subject would help my confidence with the m word haha

Right so you will not be sttarting as a graduate then with 21 year olds:D
    I did Electronic Eng years ago and the Maths is pretty heavy alright. It was alot of calculus and theorems. It is definitely doable though if you put the effort in. Even if you weren't good at Maths for the Junior cert (20 years ago) does not mean you won't be good at it now.
    Go for it mate you won't regret it.

Assuming you wouldn't be starting until 2013, you could probably track down a math course to do before that to give you a boost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deanlandon

Maldesu wrote: »
    Assuming you wouldn't be starting until 2013, you could probably track down a math course to do before that to give you a boost.

That's a great idea! Audit some math 101 courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I did Electronic Eng years ago and the Maths is pretty heavy alright. It was alot of calculus and theorems. It is definitely doable though if you put the effort in. Even if you weren't good at Maths for the Junior cert (20 years ago) does not mean you won't be good at it now.
    Go for it mate you won't regret it.

+1

I started a degree in computer science at 34. Maths was never a strong point for me, and we started with binary, octal, hexidecimal etc. :eek:

I can honestly say, that if you're interested enough, you won't give up until you understand everything that each lecturer is teaching.

Bottom line: (Dont be afraid to ask questions) They want you to ask them...

deanlandon wrote: »
    That's a great idea! Audit some math 101 courses.

Great idea i'l check out some online courses! :)

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Great idea i'l check out some online courses! :)

It's also the kind of thing you can put on your application and personal statement when applying for a place. Uni's like to see you will do the work and will stick it out. Showing you have the initiative to go out and prepare for the course looks good.

It's also the kind of thing you can put on your application and personal statement when applying for a place. Uni's like to see you will do the work and will stick it out. Showing you have the initiative to go out and prepare for the course looks good.

If anyone can suggest a good online maths course? get the brain workin :D

Just like to say the help and advice i have got here is fantastic! much more than FAS telling me not much they can do for me! :rolleyes:

Stolen from the Math forum - Their list of useful links

Maybe ask there for some suggestions. They'll be better able to direct you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Agreed.

OP I'm doing a masters in my late thirties and have no regrets.

Stolen from the Math forum - Their list of useful links

Maybe ask there for some suggestions. They'll be better able to direct you.

Thank you very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

This site might come in handy for some free maths related courses: https://www.coursera.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dolmen

Check out ALBA (adult learning BA) All Hallows.ie.
    Its a fantastic course , not a one size fits all but can be tailored to suit your own requirements.
    Im 58 in my third year.
    Mostly evening and weekend lecture, some summer schools and no exams and previous learning credit transfers may apply.

Beir Beannacht

'CarpeDiem'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 aspire1

Was 37 when I went back with doubts in my head, recently finished, now have a decent job, what more can I say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gadgetbloke

Hi Donal

Andy here, I'm 38 and went to college at 18 but dropped out after the 1st year. Many reasons conspired at that time.
    Now at 38 with wife and two beautiful daughters 7 and 2 I find myself trying to get myself back onto the right career path.
    I'm currently in a €400 a week job and this is not cutting it.

I need to reskill and change direction in order to better myself and also give me an opportunity to get better earning potential
    for my kids. I grew up in a block of flats not a stones throw for GCD.

From way back in the 80's I have had a love for computers with a creative streak thrown in there for good measure. Yet I have not
    managed or made the right choices at different times in my life

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place at this moment in time. I actually had the pleasure of meeting Dermot hegarty a numberof times over the years wearing different jackets. Such a sound man given what he's achieved with GCD.

My obstacle is money. Going back to college may cause me to loose money. Am i being short sighted. Things are so tight at the present with finances.

Your two pence worth would be appreciated

ANDY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Realistically i think you are too old. I dont think its even your age that really matters, if you had a history of doing part time courses and doing exams i think it would stand for you in your full time course but you have been out of the education loop so long i think you would probably struggle in a class environment and doing projects, exams etc. I know they say "your never too old", and thats right to an extent, but as you get older it does get harder ya have to be realistic, i think a night course would be your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

What a load of crap. Your ability to sit and listen doesn't deminish, nor does your ability to understand concepts or to write a paper on it or sit an exam on it. Get over yourself!

College isn't that difficult, especially not at the start, you are eased into it and learn exam /essay techniques as you go.

I went back in my late 20's and was the best thing I ever did.

I too was freaked about Maths, but taking a seperate Maths course before college would be a great idea, but also in college if you're really struggling there are maths support centres and you could get a grind to explain things to you step by step.

If you go for it, you'll be grand! Just be prepared, it's a big commitment and a lot of work, but as long as you want it, you'll get it! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Smac!

go for it mate....i am also thinking of doing mature student im 25 next month and doing 2 years in oz currently 6 months into my first year!also would like to do mechanical engineering but maths is the devil!!!

[Jackass] wrote: »
    What a load of crap. Your ability to sit and listen doesn't deminish, nor does your ability to understand concepts or to write a paper on it or sit an exam on it. Get over yourself!

Also a mature student doesn't have the distractions hat kids get the first time around like the nights out, the house parties etc. As he is there from an informed decision he made rather than something he is doing to keep the parents happy he is more likely to apply himself to the subject matter.

I got my degree at 34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Realistically i think you are too old. I dont think its even your age that really matters, if you had a history of doing part time courses and doing exams i think it would stand for you in your full time course but you have been out of the education loop so long i think you would probably struggle in a class environment and doing projects, exams etc. I know they say "your never too old", and thats right to an extent, but as you get older it does get harder ya have to be realistic, i think a night course would be your best bet

You're under 30 aren't you?

For some reason, many young people (especially our Tiger cubs) think anyone older is semi-incapable of anything - working, studying, having kids, when in fact we are the ones had to do it in the first place without handholding, notes, grinds, free college places.

OP, go for it. Mature students regularly out perform the 'direct from school' brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

spurious wrote: »
    You're under 30 aren't you?

For some reason, many young people (especially our Tiger cubs) think anyone older is semi-incapable of anything - working, studying, having kids, when in fact we are the ones had to do it in the first place without handholding, notes, grinds, free college places.

OP, go for it. Mature students regularly out perform the 'direct from school' brigade.

Im actually 30 and in college! In hindsight my previous comment was probably a bit negative, it was probably more to do with the fact that there is very little job prospects with my particular course and its harder for a 30 year old to feel like he is wasting his time than it would be for a 20 year old :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kookoo4

Go for it - you are not too old. I'm in my 30's, 4 kids under 10 & went back last year, now doing a degree. I find the straight out of schoolers struggle more, trying to be cool, missing classes with hangovers etc. It's better than sitting at home isn't it ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I'm 34, and single parent to two kids. I travel 45kms each way 5 days a week, and it is so worth it. The mature students on my course are the ones who attend lectures and seminars, they are the ones who participate, they are showing the straight out of school kids the way!

Last year I done an access course and it has had a huge impact on my confidence and my self belief.

Go for it. Yes it will be a struggle at times. But don't doubt yourself, reach out and get the help with the Maths. You won't regret it

Advertisement