Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgressive Fiction

Options
  • 17-10-2012 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Any other fans out there? I fell in love with the genre when I read A Clockwork Orange at 14 and have been eating it up ever since. I love anything a bit weird, a bit different, a bit off the wall. So I'm a few years older than 14 now :p and I've read most of the usual suspects, Irvine Welsh, Chuck Palahniuk, Kathy Acker, Thompson, Burroughs, Bukowski (I've struggled with Cormac McCarthy and Houllebecq, I admit) and I'm looking for recommendations for something new if anyone has any....the stranger/more disturbing the better :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't like weird. I read the first 2 or 3 pages of A Clockwork Orange before going "ah here leave it ou".

I'm a glutton for punishment though so I'll probably go back to it with a fresh approach and prepared mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

How about that rascal the Marquis de Sade?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BlueValkyrie

Have you tried The Dice Man? A great read if you like the weirder/darker side of fiction, about a psychiatrist who develops a therapy (which he then lives) where every decision is made on the roll of a dice. It's now viewed as a subversive classic.

Also Geek Love is well worth a look too - not very well known, but a great novel about a carny family who deliberately mutate their own children to be more successful 'freaks' - it sounds messed up, and it is, but it's also quite beautiful and tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

You should try a scanner darkly by Philip k dick if you haven't already read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

damselnat wrote: »
    I've read most of the usual suspects

Bret Easton Ellis?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

You should try reading Logan: A Family History, that's very transgressive, full of excess for the refined sensibilities of the nineteenth century.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

damselnat wrote: »
    ..the stranger/more disturbing the better :D

Blown by Philip Jose Farmer is pretty fcuking strange.Some have even been known to call it disturbing.:D

I only read this one but He has written a fair few books. I assume the rest are similar,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Some of Haruki Murakami can be pretty strange. Recommend "Wind Up Bird Chronicle"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Some of Haruki Murakami can be pretty strange. Recommend "Wind Up Bird Chronicle"
    Reading that at the moment. Odd book but it's holding my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

"Exquisite Corpse" by Poppy Z. Brite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas is quite strange. The main character finds out how to enter other people's minds through some sort of homeopathic trance. :pac: I enjoyed it!

Advertisement