Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do someone has your house key?

• 17-10-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

Dunno if this is right forum or not..need advice fast! My ex partner has a key to my house for when he dropping DD off in evenings etc anyways im not very comfortable him having a key to be honest and there really is no need for him to have a key.i asked him this evening to drop over the key,he turned his phone off,ive troed ringing him and he wont answer again.I just texted him to drop.the key by 8.30 this evening and that it is my house and has no right to have a key. there is a history of violence and im not very comfortable knowing he has a key to my house.I cant afford to get my locks changed at all if i could that would have been the first thing i would have done. is there any advice any one can give me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Its obvious change the locks and change the password for the alarms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

You could try asking for it back or changing the locks

Change the locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

its cost about 50euro to get the locks changed, children's allowance is out in a few weeks use it to secure your home for you and your kids

if your ex wont give it back then you have no other choice but to change them simple as and it sounds like he has been an ex for a while so what's another few weeks

if you dont want to use CA then substitute something so you do have the cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Change the lock. In the meantime maybe if you leave your key turned in the inside of the lock it cant be opened from the outside.

• Advertisement

Moved from After Hours
    Accommodation & Property charter now applies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

maringo wrote: »
    Change the lock. In the meantime maybe if you leave your key turned in the inside of the lock it cant be opened from the outside.
    im doing that at d min,ill have to do it when i go fr college in morning.i think i will just hve t change the locks n take it out of rent money this week.thanks for all d help everyone..greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

you will have to inform the owner of the house, you say that you rent, so you cannot change locks without their imput, and most likely they will do it for you or they may put in a shooting bolt,
    you had said earlier on that it is your house,
    then you say you rent it as you say you have to change lock from some of your rent, ask the person who own the house, and tell them you would be happier if the barrell of the lock were changed.
    that will save you having to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Take it out of rent money? You'll have to explain that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

magztar wrote: »
    im doing that at d min,ill have to do it when i go fr college in morning.i think i will just hve t change the locks n take it out of rent money this week.thanks for all d help everyone..greatly appreciated!

Less of the text speak please- we specifically prohibit its use in this forum.

Regarding your suggestion that you're somehow going to purloin this out of the rent money- perhaps you'd like to explain? You can't just deduct the cost of the new locks from your rent- your landlord (whoever they are) is not responsible for paying for new locks. Yes- I know new locks are expensive, I've unfortunately had to pay for them- but you're going to have to figure how to pay for it. I'd suggest paying a call to your local Community Welfare Officer- they have an emergency fund they may be able to assist with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A landlord isn't going to be very happy if you change the locks.

I wonder is the ex partner part or whole owner of the house?

smccarrick wrote: »

Less of the text speak please- we specifically prohibit its use in this forum.

Regarding your suggestion that you're somehow going to purloin this out of the rent money- perhaps you'd like to explain? You can't just deduct the cost of the new locks from your rent- your landlord (whoever they are) is not responsible for paying for new locks. Yes- I know new locks are expensive, I've unfortunately had to pay for them- but you're going to have to figure how to pay for it. I'd suggest paying a call to your local Community Welfare Officer- they have an emergency fund they may be able to assist with.

I will call to the community welfare officer tomorrow thanks! I pay my rent monthly,i put away every week my rent in my rent jar what i meant was that i would take it out of rent money this week and replace it back next week!

Oh im sorry i forgot about the text speak

goat2 wrote: »
    you will have to inform the owner of the house, you say that you rent, so you cannot change locks without their imput, and most likely they will do it for you or they may put in a shooting bolt,
    you had said earlier on that it is your house,
    then you say you rent it as you say you have to change lock from some of your rent, ask the person who own the house, and tell them you would be happier if the barrell of the lock were changed.
    that will save you having to do it.

I would defintly inform my landlord sure i would have to give him a spare key anyways if anything should happen!
    I could never ask him to pay as it is my problem not his.

BostonB wrote: »

nope her is most defintley not!

Maybe a moderator can lock this thread please as i have recieved enough advice and answer to my dillema! Thanks :)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

These door safety chains are cheap and easy to fit,it might tie you over till you get the locks changed.
    Hardware shops would have them in stock.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=door+safety+chain&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Yxd_UNXiIMeHhQe9-IGwCA&sqi=2&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

If you have a patio door with a cylinder lock, and your hall door also has a cylinder lock, maybe try to take the barrel from patio door and put it in hall door and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

BostonB wrote: »

If you change locks you will obviously need to tell the landlord and give him/her a copy of the new set of keys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And thread locked, as per OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement