Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McAuliffe Trucking reckless driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The hell?? The second video is beyond bonkers!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Jesus, that's nuts! What are they at?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Have to agree,the standard of driving here is insane.
    Just wondering why do you have all this footage,and it seems fairly clear that the idiots driving the trucks knew that you were filming them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Have to agree,the standard of driving here is insane.
    Just wondering why do you have all this footage,and it seems fairly clear that the idiots driving the trucks knew that you were filming them
    It was a photo shoot for a charity. They apparently had permission from the guards to do it. But decided not to close the road. There was an article on the rte webpage about it

It was a photo shoot for a charity. They apparently had permission from the guards to do it. But decided not to close the road. There was an article on the rte webpage about it

oh,didnt know that,cheers
    its still insane though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Surely if you have permission from the Gardai to drive 3 trucks that take up the width of a busy main road, then the road HAS to be closed :confused:

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Surely if you have permission from the Gardai to drive 3 trucks that take up the width of a busy main road, then the road HAS to be closed :confused:
    I would have thought so too. Apparently it was risk assessed as medium so they went ahead with it. Be grand shur.

They had permission from the Gardai to drive 3 abreast on an open road?

I'd be interested in that. Have they identified the Garda? I want to bounce a space hopper along a dual carriageway so he'd be the man to ask.

Finally on the laptop so here are the articles.Those of us who are critical of it are 'begrudgers' apparently.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1017/youtube-mcauliffe-trucking-company.html

And here is his letter from Joe.ie
    To Whom It May Concern,

Hoping you are well. I am a manager in McAuliffe Trucking. We are established since 1970 and take great pride in our fleet, drivers and staff.

We contribute our time to charities and regularly make donations. Since there is a local Charity Scania Truck run in Kerry, we could never get involved as we run DAF trucks so we said we would start our own Charity DAF run or an all make of truck Charity run.

We recently had a little girl succumb to Leukaemia and we named our flagship DAF in memory of her. This truck is now called Lady Ava. We also got vinyl stickers made with the Leukaemia penguin to raise awarness and to keep a constant memory of Ava. We have these fitted to all our trucks and can send you a pack if you want to give me your details.

On Sunday 14/10/12, we had a photo shoot to start the promotion of our Charity run. I had called the Castleisland Gardai seeking permission on Friday 12/10/12 to conduct a photo shoot on the
    N21 and the Castleisland Bypass. The Gardai gave me permission to do this which be verified at Castleisland Garda Station.

I then arranged a meeting with all staff for 3pm on Saturday 13/10/12, all details were discussed and jobs and traffic controller positions were assigned. I also carried out a full risk assessment and received signatures of all involved. The weather on Sunday was good so we arranged to meet up and begin preparations for the photo shoot. There were traffic controllers positioned at the front and back of the three trucks for the duration of the video shoot.

Still shots were taken at the view point and the bridge on the bypass of Castleisland afterwards. For the still shot on the bridge, I sent only two drivers to the bridge as the third driver did not know his way there. He stopped under the bridge with his hazard, parking and dipped headlights on and waited for one of the other drivers to come down the steps and sit in with him to guide him to the bridge road. He was waiting no longer than one minute and during this time, a silver car came up behind him and swung out in to the path of another car. There was a touch of bumpers and the two cars stopped, the drivers got out, talked to each other, shook hands and drove away.

Unfortunately, this was captured by someone on a phone, uploaded on YouTube and has since gone viral. As soon as we heard about it, we got the video taken down immediately but then someone uploaded it again and titled it “McAuliffe Trucking Dangerous Driving”.

Every person involved in the photo shoot is dismayed after putting their free time at their own expense into both Saturday and Sunday for a worthy charity promotion, only to have backfired due to a small accident that was caused by a car not watching his lane while our company was also put up on YouTube and portrayed by a small minority as dangerous driving.

Now as you can see, we had received permission from the Gardai, carried out a Risk assessment/Risk report, had plenty of qualified personal to arrange everything whilst wearing HiViz gear and everything went according to plan.

I would also like to mention that we received a phonecall this morning from Breda O’Brien, Suicide Awareness, asking McAuliffe Trucking to help raise funds for the organisation. If you wish to donate or contribute to these charities, please contact McAuliffe Trucking.

Finally, I would like to say thank you to all the staff and everyone that came in on Saturday and Sunday on their days off to help and assist in everyway the Charity Truck run. They’re a great bunch of people.

We apologise for the distress that may have been caused as this was not our intention.

Kind and Very Best Regards
    Davy Corkery
    McAuliffe Trucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

So any statement with an apology yet or is it still f... the begrudgers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

jPI94.jpg

This just gets better, apparently all the videos are from the daughter of the owners youtube account, yes they knew [see above]

However shocked I was by the videos, this s**t makes my blood boil. They were caught out acting in a reckless manner on a public road and endangering the lives of others. And their response is that it was ok as it was for a proposed charity event ? And raising the story of a young girl who succumbed to Leukaemia to defend their antics is disgusting.
    He said he conducted this risk assessment and classified the risk as "medium".

Also I dont know much about health & safety but "medium", what's that about 50% ?!

Finally on the laptop so here are the articles.Those of us who are critical of it are 'begrudgers' apparently.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1017/youtube-mcauliffe-trucking-company.html

And here is his letter from Joe.ie

Did he conduct one for the driving 3 abreast, reversing against traffic or the roundabout video?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

kingdumb wrote: »
    Check out this stupidity in Castleisland,

On a side note this tread is hilarious !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056783135

It's funny in an angry way, It's a blatent flouting of the road traffic laws, then Truly Irish they tried to say it was a subcontractor of theirs and nothing to do woth Truly Irish and all along the same director of Truly irish is the director of McAuliffe Haulage, they never once tried to come out and apologise for their actions, they are some goons.

Hope none of us happen upon one of their trucks on the public road :eek::eek:

No it wasn't, McAuliffe said it was but then when they issued a statement they said it was for a charity event that is being organised between now and Christmas, they are a joke.

They set up boards accounts under pseudonyms and got found out by boardsies and got laughed out it. They are a joke going around breaking the law.

I would have thought so too. Apparently it was risk assessed as medium so they went ahead with it. Be grand shur.

Eh it was risk assessed by McAuliffe haulage NOT by the authorities :mad:

They seem as incapable of telling the truth as following the rules of the road.

kingdumb wrote: »
    And raising the story of a young girl who succumbed to Leukaemia to defend their antics is disgusting.

I thought this was a particularly depressing angle too. "We can do what we did because...look at the sick kid everyone. We love sick kids".

That left a nasty taste for me anyway.

They would have been well advised to come out and say "young fellows in trucks, high jinks, very sorry, will kick their arses and ensure they don't do it again".

The whole thing stinks,i hate bad driving and really detest dangerous driving.
    i wonder what the charity thought of being associated with it all

Ah here they are - OH Noooooooooo - just the frst 20 seconds mind. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOk53WezlHY&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭beecee

I know the other thread got closed. Just wondering if anyone ever heard if anything came of this?

Nothing about this in the local media apart from one article in the Kerry's Eye, which stated that a garda investigation was underway, but 'no arrests were expected to be made'.

In other news, 5 men have been arrested in connection with a 'sulky' race on the Cork to Mallow road last May.

If there are any travellers reading this, the next time you are caught racing sulkys on a public road and accused of endangering the live of others, just remember this:
    ...you have helped charities in the past, are planning to organise a charity event again in the future and anyone who takes issue with your actions is a begrudger !

this
    beecee wrote: »
    I know the other thread got closed. Just wondering if anyone ever heard if anything came of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Finally...

It's about time someone takes action against those bloody cyclists. Oh, wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Quaderno wrote: »
    Finally...

It's about time someone takes action against those bloody cyclists. Oh, wait...

Silly comparison !!! This was an isolated incident.

Many cyclists are and always will be a serious danger on the roads. Road tax for bikes should be introduced in the budget!!!! Money generated used to construct these dedicated greenways and cycle paths to the standard they require. Might keep some of the reckless f*****s off the main roads where people are trying to go about there everyday lives!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

traleespud wrote: »
    Silly comparison !!! This was an isolated incident.

Many cyclists are and always will be a serious danger on the roads. Road tax for bikes should be introduced in the budget!!!!

What a load of rubbish. It's not in a cyclist's interest whatsoever to put themselves in danger. The cyclist will ALWAYS come off worse in an collision. Also, there's no such thing as road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I think the comparison should be with those involved with the sulkie racing in Cork rather that cycylists.

Its interesting that all Travellers were castigated following the sulkie racing incident while at the same time all all truck companies (rasher companies) were not castigated following the outrageous truck display in Castleisland.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

..........Many cyclists are and always will be a serious danger on the roads. Road tax for bikes should be introduced in the budget!!!! Money generated used to construct these dedicated greenways and cycle paths to the standard they require. Might keep some of the reckless f*****s off the main roads where people are trying to go about there everyday lives!!!

Feeling better now? :rolleyes:

This is an intriguing post Tralees Pud,
    Many cyclists are and always will be a serious danger on the roads.

Could explain this for me ? Maybe you could back up your argument with some stats on the number of people killed and maimed each year by the evil bicycle ?
    Road tax for bikes should be introduced in the budget!!!!

As there is no such thing as road tax if it were to be introduced in the budget would you suggest that this new tax be applied to all road users or just cyclists ?
    Money generated used to construct these dedicated greenways and cycle paths to the standard they require.

Greenways are mainly aimed at tourist and for recreational use, tourists = cash for the local economy, and a healthy active population saves money in health care etc.
    Plus the return to investment ratio of greenways is noted to be huge when compared with road building, so infrastructure projects like these could be seen as cost negative.
    Might keep some of the reckless f*****s off the main roads where people are trying to go about there everyday lives!!!

As I go about my 'everyday live' I am constantly caught up in congestion cause by cars and trucks, this annoys me no end, as all this time I am being forced to breath in their poisonous fumes. That said I would under no circumstances refer to these people as reckless f*****s, as they are often by friends, family and colleagues.
    If you really view cyclists, who come from all walks of life and are of all ages with this type of hatred I would suggest you ask yourself what you real issue is !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

2 nights in jail seems fairly mild for that kind of carry-on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement