Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job prospects??

Options
  • 17-10-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Moving to Australia in the new year have my visa and the whole shebang. I have no qualifications and nor have I a trade but I have worked in pubs/clubs for a good few years and like most others my age have spent most of my working life in factories and the like.

I have done laboring before for diff tradesmen, sparky chippy etc and I'm def not afraid to get my hands dirty.

What are my chances of getting a job out there, willing to do anything and what kind of wages/salary does my kind of experience attract. Id have no problem working 2 jobs if I had to as in labour mon - fri and do some bar shifts mid week or at the weekend.

I really wanna give this a go as I'm pIsSeD off with dole life at home. I've sold my car and bits and bobs to fund this and oh yeah one more question do they really look for proof of the 5000$ at customs or wherever they check cos I might have to dip into it just a tad before I go.

Thanks for any input. Oh by the way I'll more than likely moving to Perth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Moving to Australia in the new year have my visa and the whole shebang. I have no qualifications and nor have I a trade but I have worked in pubs/clubs for a good few years and like most others my age have spent most of my working life in factories and the like.

I have done laboring before for diff tradesmen, sparky chippy etc and I'm def not afraid to get my hands dirty.

What are my chances of getting a job out there, willing to do anything and what kind of wages/salary does my kind of experience attract. Id have no problem working 2 jobs if I had to as in labour mon - fri and do some bar shifts mid week or at the weekend.

I really wanna give this a go as I'm pIsSeD off with dole life at home. I've sold my car and bits and bobs to fund this and oh yeah one more question do they really look for proof of the 5000$ at customs or wherever they check cos I might have to dip into it just a tad before I go.

Im home from Oz about a year now,some my information might be a bit outdated.

I like yourself went over there as an unskilled worker.When I first arrived in Perth,I got a job as a Brickie's labourer,I was getting $160 dollars a day(probably sounds like good money but it isn't).

I then went and done my regional work on a farm(minimum 88 days required for 2nd year visa)I was getting $15 an hour(minimum wage),I did long hours and got free food/accommodation,so a great way of saving money.

Then I was blessed when I finished up on the farm,I had a mate who got me a labouring job on a mine site.I worked there for 9 months with an Irish firm,was on $35 an hour,great money and I saved a fortune,again the mine's are free food and accommodation,top class facilities.

That's just an insight to my year in Oz.Just a bit of advice,before I left it was nearly impossible to get a job as a Brickie's labourer,especially if your Irish,2 main reasons for this:
    1)Irish guys arrive and get a job as brickie's labourer,after 2 or 3 weeks,they get offered a better job with more money and leave.Then Brickie's have to re-advertise.
    2)Then you have the guys who arrive and tell the Brickie that they can mix and build bricks.Land on site and can't even stack bricks or start a mixer.

Farming was great for saving money but recently a lot of farmers don't pay for farm labour.They know the Irish are desperate to stay and need the 88 days,so they offer food and accommodation in exchange for your work.This isn't all farmers but some have done this.

Mining is the way to go out there but nearly impossible to get a job,especially if you are unskilled.I was lucky,I knew someone working with a Irish sub-contractor,who was working for one of the big mining companies.Since I have been home,the mining sector has slowed a little,prices of Iron Ore falling and uncertainty in China.Basically whatever the Aussies are mining,the Chinese are buying.

In regards to the $5000,they are strict on this if you are stopped.

Do you know anyone out there?Perth is still busy but there is a lot of Irish out there now.Just something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭larchielads

Thanks for the input irishlad2012. I have a cousin out there a few months he knew someone who got him the job he's in which pays good money but he'll be done with his 6 months with the one employer but he might be able to set me up with something.

I know one guy from town who's working as a spark in a mine and he's rakin it in. Maybe I could get in contact with him. These are all if buts and maybes but I'll more or less fending for myself when I get there.

I understand it's gonna be much harder to get work as I've no trade or qualifications, so any help from anyone is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

You'll get casual work to get you started in pubs/cafes etc. but the money will be shocking, minimum wage stuff.
    Cities in Australia are pretty expensive to live in as well, so be prepared to take a big hit at the start unless you can hit the ground running.
    The mines have quietened substantially, thats not to say that they aren't hiring or have stopped expanding, but they are not "stuck" for labor anymore, so don't expect any breaks there, you'd probably have to sort your own S11 and certs, and without a trade or a lot of experience, you'll be a long way down the list unless you know somebody.
    Traffic controlling is a real option, again a bit of outlay at the start for qualifications, but the money is good, and there is a possibility to get regional work done for a 2nd year visa.
    I'd think twice about starting in Perth unless you have something definite to bring you there, or it may end up being your only port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Only advice I can give u is stay away from central Queensland. Mining is taking an almighty hit out here at the moment so there isn't a hope of getting on site as a casual labourer.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

irishmover wrote: »
    Only advice I can give u is stay away from central Queensland. Mining is taking an almighty hit out here at the moment so there isn't a hope of getting on site as a casual labourer.

It's not just central Queensland. Things are pretty grim here in NSW aswell as regards to mining. That said i've just secured another 2 months work as an excavator operator.

The work is still around just hard got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Flyer1 wrote: »

It's not just central Queensland. Things are pretty grim here in NSW aswell as regards to mining. That said i've just secured another 2 months work as an excavator operator.

4000 jobs gone in 7 months. Another 400 before Christmas (guaranteed) with probably more to come. Most mines cutting contract work completely and downsizing own staff.

I have a permanent contract but it's with a contracting company. Work was plentiful 4 weeks ago now it's difficult to get a few days worth of contract work. I haven't been told anything regarding the future in my company but plenty of talk going round that there'll be less work by Christmas.

There is no new job offers in CQ for my profession. I feel for the families who live in Emerald and work for the company. They'll definitely have to move which is never easy. Particularly for the ones who bought houses last few years. Housing proce in CQ is about to drop alot from what i've heard. Luckily I'm single and can shift over to Perth easily with no ties.

Is it really as bad as that in NSW? Such a shame how things have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Somewere in the region of 17-20 bucks a hour.

Also only contact mates in the mines if you were mates at home..the amount of Facebook messages I had from lads back at home who heard I worked in the mines and pestered me about work etc when back at home they wouldn't speak ta me.

Don't come across desperate, there's enough desperadoes over here.

Try the job shop in Perth when ya land, might get some part time work for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

WA aswell
    The amt of jobs on seek has dropped to allmost nill for excavator operators in the last two weeks. Compared to two mths ago there was 15-20 jobs a day being advertised

Thanks for the input irishlad2012. I have a cousin out there a few months he knew someone who got him the job he's in which pays good money but he'll be done with his 6 months with the one employer but he might be able to set me up with something.

I know one guy from town who's working as a spark in a mine and he's rakin it in. Maybe I could get in contact with him. These are all if buts and maybes but I'll more or less fending for myself when I get there.

I understand it's gonna be much harder to get work as I've no trade or qualifications, so any help from anyone is appreciated.

Your going find it very hard to start out with no real contacts out there.Where do you plan on living?Perth is probably the most expensive city in Australia and maybe the world at the moment.Rents have gone crazy due to the mines.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Im home from Oz about a year now,some my information might be a bit outdated.

I like yourself went over there as an unskilled worker.When I first arrived in Perth,I got a job as a Brickie's labourer,I was getting $160 dollars a day(probably sounds like good money but it isn't).

I then went and done my regional work on a farm(minimum 88 days required for 2nd year visa)I was getting $15 an hour(minimum wage),I did long hours and got free food/accommodation,so a great way of saving money.

Then I was blessed when I finished up on the farm,I had a mate who got me a labouring job on a mine site.I worked there for 9 months with an Irish firm,was on $35 an hour,great money and I saved a fortune,again the mine's are free food and accommodation,top class facilities.

That's just an insight to my year in Oz.Just a bit of advice,before I left it was nearly impossible to get a job as a Brickie's labourer,especially if your Irish,2 main reasons for this:
    1)Irish guys arrive and get a job as brickie's labourer,after 2 or 3 weeks,they get offered a better job with more money and leave.Then Brickie's have to re-advertise.
    2)Then you have the guys who arrive and tell the Brickie that they can mix and build bricks.Land on site and can't even stack bricks or start a mixer.

Farming was great for saving money but recently a lot of farmers don't pay for farm labour.They know the Irish are desperate to stay and need the 88 days,so they offer food and accommodation in exchange for your work.This isn't all farmers but some have done this.

Mining is the way to go out there but nearly impossible to get a job,especially if you are unskilled.I was lucky,I knew someone working with a Irish sub-contractor,who was working for one of the big mining companies.Since I have been home,the mining sector has slowed a little,prices of Iron Ore falling and uncertainty in China.Basically whatever the Aussies are mining,the Chinese are buying.

In regards to the $5000,they are strict on this if you are stopped.

Do you know anyone out there?Perth is still busy but there is a lot of Irish out there now.Just something to keep in mind.

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but how hard is it to get farm work? I am considering going to Oz and am only interested in saving money and coming back so a farm job would be perfect. I have found this site http://www.visitoz.org/Program/courses.php; would something like this be necessary. It seems expensive at AUD 2000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but how hard is it to get farm work? I am considering going to Oz and am only interested in saving money and coming back so a farm job would be perfect. I have found this site http://www.visitoz.org/Program/courses.php; would something like this be necessary. It seems expensive at AUD 2000.

Do not pay 2k for this.

You are going to learn basic tasks over 5 days. Driving cattle, motorbike, tractors, chainsaw and fencing, Learn to ride a horse for mustering in a day ? I reckon you would end up getting the basic jobs out of this. You'll be working long hours in remote places on minimum wage and that is why you'll save some. Earning big money in farming is difficult unless you can operate the big machinery.
    If you really want to do this course, rock up to the farm when you get here, it'll be a lot cheaper that way.
    But to be honest, find some farmer locally in ireland and see if they could show you some skills before you come out here. Pay them for it, it won't be 2k either

pbowenroe wrote: »
    seems to be some work available,best place to look is Gumtree,also Aussie jobs, in Perth place people all over Oz.
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-farming-veterinary/c18384?ad=offering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭larchielads

Your going find it very hard to start out with no real contacts out there.Where do you plan on living?Perth is probably the most expensive city in Australia and maybe the world at the moment.Rents have gone crazy due to the mines.

Have a cousin in Perth so hopefully he can pass on a few contacts and he said he could put me up for a couple of weeks think he's livin in Victoria park or something

Have a cousin in Perth so hopefully he can pass on a few contacts and he said he could put me up for a couple of weeks think he's livin in Victoria park or something
    Great suburb,close to the city,close to the train link.Hopefully all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

sponge_bob wrote: »
    WA aswell
    The amt of jobs on seek has dropped to allmost nill for excavator operators in the last two weeks. Compared to two mths ago there was 15-20 jobs a day being advertised

You're telling me ! I was lucky to get in with the chap that i'm working for now. He's sweating it, i'm driving his span new zx250, all on borrowed money. Its hard to see it having work after these next 2 months. Even as a company he's finding it difficult to find any long term work. There's ****ty odd jobs here and there going.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

You're telling me ! I was lucky to get in with the chap that i'm working for now. He's sweating it, i'm driving his span new zx250, all on borrowed money. Its hard to see it having work after these next 2 months. Even as a company he's finding it difficult to find any long term work. There's ****ty odd jobs here and there going.

There sure is and some of them agencies have some neck on them too, had an agency ring me up 2 weeks ago offering me $22 an hour for a job thats 1.5hrs drive away doing 45hrs a week :eek: and its not like she didnt know where i wwas living as she was the one that informed me that it was more than an hours drive away. So i declined and said it just wouldn't be worth it financially, so this morning the same one rings me back and offers me $31 an hour plus $360 LAFHA and they have a house down there so I can stay there for free and i can work upto 60hrs a week:eek:. Like WTF were the cnuts going to make out of me the first time around :mad:. Anyway declined them again......... holding out for more money;):cool:

was looking at the news there earlier and they said despite the price of iorn ore dropping the big companies are still moving ahead with some of its projects allbeit on a smaller scale, but they still continue to buy new machinery and sign new contracts, all in all they were saying WA is still booming but just smaller booming then the last couple of years kinda thing.

Advertisement