Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crucible first-timer, any tips?

• 17-10-2012 8:55pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been meaning to go for years but will be finally going to Sheffield in April. I have some tickets booked for the quarters and I can't wait to go.

I've heard the handiest way to get there is to fly to Manchester and then by rail, is this the case?

Also, has anyone any recommendations on accommodation? Local but cheap would be ideal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

celticfc wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've been meaning to go for years but will be finally going to Sheffield in April. I have some tickets booked for the quarters and I can't wait to go.

I've heard the handiest way to get there is to fly to Manchester and then by rail, is this the case?

Also, has anyone any recommendations on accommodation? Local but cheap would be ideal.

There's a jury's hotel that have v reasonable prices.think it was 30pounds a night during the championships ,this was in 2010. Its a five or ten min walk from the crucible just located down from the Sheffield Arena. We took the ferry over and got the train up from Birmingham which was our only option because of the flight disruption in 2010 over the volcanic ash clouds . Leeds and Manchester/John Lennon airport Liverpool would all be grand and then take a train up to Sheffield. enjoy it's a great experience,saw Davis beat Higgins in the 2nd round and Robertson come back from 6 frames down 12-6 to beat Martin Gould and go on to win it that year,must go again in the near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thought from the title that you were gonna be playing! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Where did you get tickets? It's my fathers 50th next week and he has always wanted to go over

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

seanhynes wrote: »
    There's a jury's hotel that have v reasonable prices.think it was 30pounds a night during the championships ,this was in 2010. Its a five or ten min walk from the crucible just located down from the Sheffield Arena. We took the ferry over and got the train up from Birmingham which was our only option because of the flight disruption in 2010 over the volcanic ash clouds . Leeds and Manchester/John Lennon airport Liverpool would all be grand and then take a train up to Sheffield. enjoy it's a great experience,saw Davis beat Higgins in the 2nd round and Robertson come back from 6 frames down 12-6 to beat Martin Gould and go on to win it that year,must go again in the near future

Thanks for the good info, will check that out later for sure. :)
    Dave! wrote: »
    Thought from the title that you were gonna be playing! :D
    Not quite, next year maybe :p
    Melion wrote: »
    Where did you get tickets? It's my fathers 50th next week and he has always wanted to go over

Official site for ticket sales is here. (The Sheffield Theatres Box-Office)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

celticfc wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I've been going to the Cruicble since '93 and i can honestly say I've enjoyed it every year.
    It's every players dream to make it to the Cruicble and that goes for snooker fans to so rest assured you will enjoy yourself.
    Best place to get tickets is on the world snooker site at www.worldsnooker.com click on the tickets link and it will direct you to a number for the box office at the Cruicble.
    Bring a camera too and hang about the stage door, here you will always bump into plenty of players coming to and fro to either play or practice at the venue. The Cue Zone is also worth a visit, here they have a table set up with coaching sessions taking place during the day,the World Championship trophy is also here where you can get a picture with it. Just head over to the Winter Garden, this is where the BBC studio is also based and there is always something happening there.

Places to stay? There are plenty of hotels etc around Sheffield. The more established players like to stay at the St George, i've stayed here a few times, beautiful hotel but on the expensive side.
    Another hotel worth checking out is the Novotel Sheffiel, this is the popular choice of other players and referees and press etc, it's lively enough at night with everyone having a drink and letting their hair down.
    For quick access to the Cruicble, the Park Inn cannot be beaten as it's just a short stroll away.

Travelling? Well for ease i'd fly into Manchester either with Ryanair or Aer Lingus, the airport has it's own train station and here you can get a direct connection to Sheffield which takes an hour or so. I would'nt recommend hiring a car as it's a tricky drive through the Pennines and Snake Pass, i got lost once or twice!
    I'm sure you can check the train times online that will coincide with your flight.

Hope all this helps, any other info don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Many thanks Zack, great info.

Advertisement