Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going to start baking...what essentials do i need

Options
  • 17-10-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

okay guys, its time to start baking. ive never baked so much as a rice crispy cake but i have done all the cooking for the family for years and Id love to start doing the sweet things rather that spending money each week on buing. I also think that getting the kids involved could be fun. I have a food processor , some trays that you would do fairy cakes in and thats about it to be honest. So im looking for advice on what to get to get started on the likes of apple pies and cakes etc... and ore importantly where abouts could i get the stuff not to expensively im based in D15.
    thanks for any advice in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Dont buy too much to start. You need very little and you are better to buy only what you need.

Some baking paper is very useful to line tins so that things dont stick.
    If you want to make a particular cake, buy the correct tin for it. As you try new recipes buy the correct tins only when you need them. Its too easy to buy loads of tins and not use them.

I think the most used for a lot of recipes are a round cake tin , a loaf tin and if you intend making brownies or traybakes a square or rectangle tin is good.

Keep an eye out for Lidl and Aldi specials. Tesco do a lot of non-stick tins at good prices.

A silicon stapula is very good to getting all the mixture out of the bowl.

After that, just have a go and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

TK Maxx can be good for tins and spatulas and things too. A big mixing bowl is a good idea, we have a deep pyrex one at home that can be used for mixing for anything and we also bake bread in it.

I'd say start off with something easy enough, plain buns are simple and kids will love helping you to ice them. Once you're used to them you can add flavourings or colours or choc chips etc. They're also really fast, which is reassuring - I hate when I make something for the first time and it takes ages to cook, I'm practically sitting in front of the oven watching it bake!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Hi there, I reckon try and use what you've got and pick up a few bits. I personally couldn't live without my electronic weighing scales. Just makes measuring so easy and baking is a kind of alchemy.
    With the things you have already I would start by making cupcakes. You would need a mixer (you can get a hand held one from Tesco for around 10-15 euro I think) some cupcake cases and away you go. Brilliant for the kids to get involved in decorating them as well.
    You can just let it grow from there. You will have the baking bug in no time. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

An electronic weighing scales for sure, and a good food processor. Baking is chemistry - you must follow recipes precisely. It's not the kind of thing where you can start chopping and changing ingredients until you're very familiar with the recipe. Even substitutions - always use butter, for instance. I had a well-meaning friend once who made me a birthday cake, but made the buttercream filling with Olivio spread. It did NOT work.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Pick up a set of measuring cups & spoons. A lot of the the recipes you'll find on the net are from the US where they measure in cups/spoons. Don't let that put you off. (don't get confused between teaspoons & tablespoons, as has been know to happen :o )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 lldyhwke

Measuring cups and spoons. A good cookbook. Cake tins or pie tins, whatever you prefer to bake. A cookie sheet. And a mixer, even a hand mixer will do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Use baking paper or parchment, never use grease proof paper Because stuff will stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks one and all, went out today and got the measuring cups and spoons and a small circular baking pan, looks like it will be ideal for an apple pie which is what im going to try and start with. Ive also bought the brambly apples.... just need to find a simple recipe now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Weighing scales, nothing fancy but a digital one is handy.
    Baking parchment.
    Two 8 inch and Two 9 inch round cake tins (if planning on doing cakes).
    2 cookie/baking sheets.
    Silicone spatula.
    Measuring jug.
    Mixing bowl and wooden spoon or an elec. mixing bowl, with beater and paddle attachments.

Bun cases, decorations etc.

It's best not to go too mad at first you can gradually build up the stuff you need as and when you choose a new recipe to bake with.

Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, kitchencompliments.ie, decobake, M&S, Heatons are all handy places for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I actually think an apple tart is quite difficult for a beginner so don't be disheartened if it doesn't go right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

True but it's ok if the pastry is patchy if it's just for yourselves, apple crumble is a good alternative. Highly recommend spring form cake tins rather than loose bottomed, you get the best of both worlds with them.

Advertisement