Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girlfriend moving into my house, advice.

• 17-10-2012 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

We've decided that my girlfriend moves into my house in about a month or so.

We've discussed that she would pay me a rent so to speak, and we will split the bills which are in my name.

As unromantic as it sounds is there are pitfalls that I should be aware of in case the relationship breaks down?

I'm aware of the Civil Partnership Act and the additional rights for partners after living together for 5 years (or 2 years if they have a child)

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Rule #1 always leave the toilet seat up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deanlandon

My advice - don't play house. You should wait until you are married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't have advice but a recent thread in Gentlemans Club forum had lots of info about moving in together and Civil Partnership Bill and dangers for your assets in a breakup

Long thread but have a read
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056752360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Go to a solicitor prior to her moving in. You can opt out of a civil partnership agreement and therefore protect your assets in the event of a split. You will probably have to get separate, independant advice, but it will save any potential problems later.

It's not romantic - neither is a court case, arguing over assets nor paying maintenance if your partner is a low earner/unemployed.

Having said all that, good luck and I hope you will both be very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for all the advice, always good to be realistic.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Good luck telling her to go see a solicitor before she can move in because you basically want a pre-nup, wear a helmet if at all possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Is it possible to opt out of the civil partnership before the idea of her moving in comes up? Or do you need both parties to sign the opt out together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Is it possible to opt out of the civil partnership before the idea of her moving in comes up? Or do you need both parties to sign the opt out together?

I think the wrights of the person under cohabitting couple as would be in this case are not an opt in opt out option. Its the law.

OP. Best to lay out the rules before she moves in. If she doesn't like it then she doesn't have to move in. Keep it simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

deanlandon wrote: »
    How are people to know they are compatible if they don't live together first? I thought religious folk took marriage seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

deanlandon wrote: »

What a stupid post

How is anyone suppose to know if they get along or not if they dont live together first, this isnt some backward middle eastern country

Op if you really think, that if your relationship does break down your GF will go after everything or try take your house then really are you sure she is right for you....

I know you think you are being cautious but if you really need to ask these question now then I dont hold any hopes for your relationship so why even put both of you through the hassle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, being honest if things do break down I wouldn't think there would be hassle.

I just think it's the Engineer in me being analytical and knowing that there is a huge gulf between theory and practice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Go for it and enjoy it and live life for the here and now because its short and we have no idea what will happen tomorrow

I moved in with my OH after 6mths of knowing him, it was sink or swim and 13yrs later we are still going strong, if you dont take risks in life then whats the point in breathing

Best of luck to both of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Janey mac OP, don't fret so. I am guessing you are both quite young? Enjoy it,relax and just go with each others flow. It takes a period of adjustment moving in with anyone,be prepared for that but don't worry so.If it works out- brilliant, if not well one would like to think there would not be any court cases or solicitors involved!True there is unromantic stuff involved in the day to day but that's just all part of it.2 adults of sound mind ought to be able to work out the fact that bills have to be paid and clothes have to be washed etc.Have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gileadi wrote: »
    pre-nup
    Pre-nups aren't worth sh|t in Ireland. Ensure the money she gives you is classed as "rent" and not "money towards the mortgage" (if you own the house).

Advertisement