Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Payment question

• 17-10-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

So I am a teaching practice student and I was asked to cover some classes. I was asked for pps number and gave it to secretary. I got paid today for four hours teaching. I got 76 gross and about 71 net for four hours. I looked up the hourly rate for an unqualifed person and it is approx 36 p/hr.

Also I was paid in cheque to be withdrawn from the school account. The payslip was from the school. This is not a private school.

So, am I being underpaid? Should I not get paid by the department directly? Would it be possible that the school is claiming for substitute expenses and then paying me what they feel? Should I keep my mouth shut and be grateful?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Megatitan wrote: »
    So I am a teaching practice student and I was asked to cover some classes. I was asked for pps number and gave it to secretary. I got paid today for four hours teaching. I got 76 gross and about 71 net for four hours. I looked up the hourly rate for an unqualifed person and it is approx 36 p/hr.

Also I was paid in cheque to be withdrawn from the school account. The payslip was from the school. This is not a private school.

So, am I being underpaid? Should I not get paid by the department directly? Would it be possible that the school is claiming for substitute expenses and then paying me what they feel? Should I keep my mouth shut and be grateful?

Thanks in advance.

You might have paid emergency tax? If so, ring your revenue commissioners office and you should get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Megatitan

You might have paid emergency tax? If so, ring your revenue commissioners office and you should get it back.

Surely that will be on the payslip though? My tax was all in all between some prsi and usc about 5/6 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Surely that will be on the payslip though? My tax was all in all between some prsi and usc about 5/6 euro.

Yes it would have stated emergency. I don't know you wouldn't get what you were owed. Maybe you should have a chat with the person responsible for the the payment of staff. Someone else on here might know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks in advance.

Did they definitely pay you for four hours? On that rate (€36) you would work out with around €76 gross for four classes (35 mins each).

Failing that, you would be better off to ask whoever paid you how you are being paid etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Megatitan

Did they definitely pay you for four hours? On that rate (€36) you would work out with around €76 gross for four classes (35 mins each).

Failing that, you would be better off to ask whoever paid you how you are being paid etc.
    Yes that was something i thought alright. I will check tomorrow and see if it was a mistake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement