Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness have downsized there can !!!

• 17-10-2012 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

It is now 440 ml down from 500ml .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭wolfe

are you sure its not northern cans you purchased?
    Any cans of guinness sold in the north are 440ml but they have always been 500ml in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

cans bought at aldi. In the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Stock from NI so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

UK cans always 440ml
    Ireland Cans always 500ml

Sometimes 440ml cans are sold in south but at a reduced price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Oh .. I thought the 440ml thing was particular to the Continent.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Why the extra amount down here? Do they think we're alcos?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oh .. I thought the 440ml thing was particular to the Continent.
    Uk mainly. Tesco have 440ml stella and other, intended for the UK market.

http://www.webpackaging.com/packaging-suppliers/rexam-beverage-can-europe-and-asia/product-catalog/param/sb/1993014/440ml-Standard/
    440ml is the standard beer can in the UK although it is suitable for all beverages.
    500ml
    A popular beer and cider package in many European countries. Allows for maximum exposure of the brand on the shelf. Great volume driver in multipacks. Extremely cost efficient in filling and distribution.
    I like 440ml cans, as long as the price reflects the smaller can. Guinness should ideally be about 530ml though, to fill a pint glass, a full 568ml would be too much.

Standard coke is 330ml and 440 is 1/3rd more than that, thats where I thought it just came from, 330 being roughly 1/3rd of a litre. There was discussion in the beer forum before and there might have been some weird reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

*their

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Why the extra amount down here? Do they think we're alcos?:P

The old can filled the pint glass very well and the uk new 440ml i have to crack open can no 2 now .
    I find if i open one can at a time i drink slower hence the 500ml is better value.
    It now seems i will have to really keep a close eye on can sizes of beer along with everything else i buy.
    Sign of the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

For many years I have wondered why UK cans are 440ml...............still no closer to an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Geuze wrote: »
    For many years I have wondered why UK cans are 440ml...............still no closer to an answer.
    not sure on why lager is, but for guinness by having only 440ml of liquid they can use a normal height 500ml can and the spare 60ml volume is taken up by the widget.
    Meaning that guinness can be stocked in normal fridges or shelves along with other 500ml (or smaller) cans

Guinness in Germany is 440ml of beer in a 500ml size can and such a minority product probably wouldnt be stocked in many places if it was out of kilter with the size of other can, i.e. being the odd one out a couple of cm taller than the rest and requiring modifications to fridges etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

not sure on why lager is, but for guinness by having only 440ml of liquid they can use a normal height 500ml can and the spare 60ml volume is taken up by the widget.
    Meaning that guinness can be stocked in normal fridges or shelves along with other 500ml (or smaller) cans

Guinness in Germany is 440ml of beer in a 500ml size can and such a minority product probably wouldnt be stocked in many places if it was out of kilter with the size of other can, i.e. being the odd one out a couple of cm taller than the rest and requiring modifications to fridges etc.

That doesn't really make sense though, because there are widgets in the 500ml cans sold here - and the cans are the standard size of a 500ml one....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Galia wrote: »
    It is now 440 ml down from 500ml .

Did u do any research into this, ie on their website before you made this statement?

Advertisement