Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd Presidential Debate (Please see MOD COMMENT post #175)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Romney just fuxed himself

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Fox news, "Obama seems to know an awful lot about foreign policy for someone not born there"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Isn't it interesting how candidates never refer to Republican's or Democrats in an opposing sense. It's all very individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

I love teachers... I love cars... I love girls and drink

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Closing statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Romney playing a violin right now...

I love teachers...vote for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Moderator burning Romney now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

"You are familiar with shipping jobs overseas because you invested in companies that shipped jobs overseas."

Ye BEAUT Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Romney; "I love teachers."

I'm not sure that the love is reciprocated.

Hazys wrote: »
    Moderator burning Romney now

He's disappointing now and the mod should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i love cars. some of my best friends are cars.

if he says 5 points i/ll explode

How does Romney have the audacity to think people were going to forget that he said "Let Detroit go bankrupt"

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=0

torch? is he talking about the olympics again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jimmyjon

I've a feeling Obama has undone the damage of debate #1 tonight. Fairly lame closing statement from Mitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Romney will start parading the family now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't you know it !

There are the sons. All five of them. And the assorted spouses and sprogglets. Zzzzz......

Thank fcuk TV3 are sticking with CNN. I couldn't stomach the Fox News apologists right now !

I can only imagine the conversation over the fake smiles and handshakes went something like this:

Ann Romney wearing something from 1956

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Sky News reckon Romney won as he appeared "presidential" and because Obama failed to paint him as a war monger :D

And the co-analyst is agreeing

mind boggling

• Advertisement

Of course they are. Romney could **** his pants on stage and it'd still be "Romney just about shaded it".

Next up welterweight bout between Tagg Swinger Romney and The Great American Hope...12 rounds championship decider...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/tagg-romney-wanted-swing-obama-article-1.1186354

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Sky News reckon Romney won as he appeared "presidential" and because Obama failed to paint him as a war monger :D

And the co-analyst is agreeing

mind boggling

Really?

lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD COMMENT:
    Please know that we have been very relaxed with our US Politics posting standards while this 90+ minute 3rd presidential debate has been ongoing on this particular thread. If you enjoy such relaxed standards in the future, please make those posts in the Politics Café, and not in this forum.

The YouTube coverage thinks Romney won it as well. These people are worse than marketing people. I hope they die from ass cancer, or something similarly hilarious.

On a more serious note, I don't think Barry O could have done any better tonight, he destroyed Romney on everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Al Sharpton making a useful comparison on MSNBC - like a boxer that knew he couldn't win, Romney came to jab occasionally and hug Obama close and smother him at all the other times.

That was the greatest bunch of waffle by a US presidential candidate on foreign policy ever seen. Never before has a man taken so much time to say so little. 'Generic pablum', in the words of Ed Schultz.

[-0-] wrote: »
    The YouTube coverage thinks Romney won it as well. These people are worse than marketing people. I hope they die from ass cancer, or something similarly hilarious.

On a more serious note, I don't think Barry O could have done any better tonight, he destroyed Romney on everything.

I can't believe anyone could say Romney won. Obama was superior in every sense and you could tell by Romney's face he was rattled.

[-0-] wrote: »

I dont get it either, i dont see how anybody no matter how biased could say Romney won :confused:

At least in the 2nd debate Fox said it was draw...Obama was way stronger tonight than on the 2nd debate

LOl at this rweet

Coincedently, "pulling out responsibly" is Mitt's contraception plan for women. #dbate #usethe19th

• Advertisement

Black Swan wrote: »
    MOD COMMENT:
    Please know that we have been very relaxed with our US Politics posting standards while this 90+ minute 3rd presidential debate has been ongoing on this particular thread. If you enjoy such relaxed standards in the future, please make those posts in the Politics Café, and not in this forum.

And now I have seen this.

Sits up straight. Behaves.

factchecking

http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/policy-and-strategy/260783-romney-knocks-obama-for-abrupt-withdrawal-from-iraq

Mitt Romney on Monday attacked President Obama for an "abrupt withdrawal" of troops from Iraq, arguing in a major foreign policy address that U.S. gains in the country are being eroded.

Romney said progress made by U.S. troops is being lost by a weakening democracy in the country, a resurgent al Qaeda and the rising influence of Iran there since U.S. troops left last year.

"America’s ability to influence events for the better in Iraq has been undermined by the abrupt withdrawal of our entire troop presence,” Romney said in his foreign policy speech at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Va. “The president tried — and failed — to secure a responsible and gradual drawdown that would have better secured our gains.”

This debate should also rebut the myth that Obama's not a good debater. He delivered his pre-planned material very clearly and came up with some top notch off-the-cuff responses.

President not ally of Israel

president will "create daylight between US and Israel"

No source for this according to NBC

Snap polls are out as to who won the debate.

CNN

Obama 48%
    Romney 40%

• Advertisement

cbs say obama won this among uncommited voters 53% to 23% (with the remainder think it was a tie)

Black Swan wrote: »
    MOD COMMENT:

Will endeavour to do as directed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The army needs more horses and bayonets.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

MadsL wrote: »
    And now I have seen this.

Sits up straight. Behaves.

Ditto.

Romney's got a five point plan: 1) Jerrrrbs! 2) China! 3) Underpants! 4) ? 5) Profit!

I should also point out that the guy who owns FOX News owns Sky, so they were never going to go for Barry O.

• Advertisement

602653_758389050689_1823106843_n.jpg

The horses and bayonets exchange is going to be the one that's replayed endlessly tomorrow.

After that, Romney appeared to spend the rest of his debate with his tail between his legs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

A very strange debate. I need to watch it again and see if I can find somewhere Romney didn't shift his previous position on foreign policy to agree with Obama.

Romney the chameleon actually did a great job for himself, he disavowed enough previous positions to actually appear moderate and reasoned.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,197 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Obama just turned to the crowed and cocked his eyebrows when Romney said Iran was now operating 10,000 centrifuges. It was like Obama was saying "...Ladies." Its not a figure to be proud of! And he didn't refute the number.
    K-9 wrote: »
    The army needs more horses and bayonets.
    It was a cute zinger but then he went to far with it in follow-up comments, and came of as belittling after a point. "We have these things called aircraft carriers now." Going a little too far on that momentary buzz of his.

Whats worse is Romney gave a very fair statement about the state of the Navy and Air Force, referring not only to it's size but it's age, which ties directly into the rebuttal Obama made. A newer Zumwalt class destroyer can do the same job of 6 1950s era destroyers, using 450 personnel vs. 2000, and in 1/9th the time (source: PopSci Oct 2012). Based on Romney's argument however age of the fleet was accounted for in his number of 312 ships to 285 actual.

The media won't be talking about that though tomorrow. They'll be talking about horses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

CBS poll of undecided 53-23 to Obama. A drubbing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The fascinating thing will be to watch how the narrative plays out in the next 24 hours. If the Romney third debate performance is deemed to be have been woeful, the media will pick it up as a change in the dynamics and direction of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Don't think the FP debate significantly changes the election though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Romney promises to look into these so called "ships than planes land on".

Duck Soup wrote: »
    The fascinating thing will be to watch how the narrative plays out in the next 24 hours. If the Romney third debate performance is deemed to be have been woeful, the media will pick it up as a change in the dynamics and direction of the race.

I can see this changing the dynamics back in favour of Mr O. So much of this is visual and he was so relaxed, in command and forceful, he'll have reassured a lot of voters that they're not on the verge of re-electing a dithering pansy. Pure speculation and amateur psychology admittedly but my hunch is that Obama may have clinched the election tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement