Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd Presidential Debate (Please see MOD COMMENT post #175)

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

jank wrote: »

Apart from making cars more expensive...:rolleyes: You see the price of a Prius now a days?

Of course stuff never gets more expensive except when driven up by regulation. It's not as of there's a term for a constant increase in price....... oh wait there is; inflation.

Mind you I have no idea how much cars here actually cost compared to pre economy regulations. I'd be interested in seeing the data.

Anyway doesn't the Market dictate price in our capatalist utopia?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I am not disputin the NTHS findings. I am disputing the conclusion you've drawn from it i.e. the less a car weighs the less safe it is. I am saying that's a poor conclusion for you to draw. You've taken one metric and extrapolated from it to suit your argument.

The NTHS did not conclude the heaviest cars are the safest. Check out their ratings if you don't believe me.

The Audi A6 is classified as a luxury large car. Weighing 4,045 lbs, it gets 19 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. You've actually just illustrated the point that large cars are safer, even if they use more gas.

No I haven't. I have demonstrated that the safety of a car has little to do with it's size and weight. The A6 is probably below average size on the roads here. It's the same size as a Buick LeSabre, Chevy Impala etc. it is nowhere near as big as a Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban.

Nobody has mentioned anything about a Hummer. That's just a straw-man argument.

Nice try, call straw man in the hope of saving your point.

Let me sum up: you said lighter cars were less safe, I countered that this was not true and over simplified the issues, you call strawman. By your logic the heavier the car, the safer it is. I mentioned Hummers because the things are massive and by your logic should be the one of the safest cars on the road.

You're over simplifying car safety to try to prove some point against economy standards in cars. It's ok, I know you hate government regulation so I understand why you're doing it. I think trying to say cars are less safe due to the regulations is a stretch though eh?

Can we at least agree that more economical cars are great?

they/them/theirs

jank wrote: »

Of course it depends on the actual purchase price of the car itself and how long you intend to keep it as well as the amount of miles you drive.
    Simple maths may very well state that a cheaper car that burns more fuel may be more cost friendly than a very expensive car which is more fuel efficient. One must take all variables into account!

2 variables. Car price and fuel economy. That's all we need to prove my point. I challenge you to disprove it.

American cars have always used more fuel than european cars, this is down to the culture of driving AND the cost of fuel.

The price of fuel in europe has ALWAYS been more expensive (mainly thanks to taxes!) then the US, thus european cars are more fuel efficient. When did european and US governments mandate fuel efficiency in their cars. I imagine only quite recently, so what has been going on in for the past 50 years in regards to fuel efficincey in Europe?

Your point? No need for regulation?
    Why is a motorbike more dangerous than a car?

Come on. It's nothing to do with weight, ridiculous argument to try to make.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

Take it to the Motoring forum, fellas.

Advertisement