Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC maths grinds in Waterford

Options
  • 17-10-2012 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Im a male in his 20's repeating his leaving cert maths for certain reasons. I have extreme difficulties with them and need to get some form of grinds where the teacher could explain them to be from the very beginning (I have little or no understand of maths) in a simple form.
    Anybody know any teacher offering grinds? Preferable within the city centre and before 5pm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Unfortunately Tramore is way too far out for me. I dont have much time and only really the city centre area would suit me. I wonder if they do it in Delasalle or anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Just going to bump this. Surely there has to be maths grinds available in the city? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Coincidently, my daughter is considering maths grinds just to help keep the stress down for the LC so we are looking at 1 or 2 people to verify how acceptable they are. If you don't find someone in the next few days then I'll drop back with a name or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

there was a guy i went out to in collins avenue back in 05 that was very good he called himself maths success or something to that effect he was a teacher in the pres. Found him quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Seven, I would take a look at this site here http://www.khanacademy.org/

Also look up the Khanacademy on utube for excellent back to basic maths turtorials.

I know that's not you want but I hope it helps nevertheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

How much do grinds cost per hour roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

I got maths grinds off a guy in town when I was in college. Never struggled with maths up until I did Finance for a while in Maynooth. That was a doozy of a course!

He was a secondary school teacher in town and lived up past folly across from St Annes Tennis. What's that estate? He was pretty good with some exceptionally hard maths. I'll ask my mom when I get home from work what his name was

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

How much do grinds cost per hour roughly?

30-35€ probably is it..maybe €40

My sister was doing any language ones for like 20 quid an hour while she was doing her Hdip. If your on a budget these would be the ones to get

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I'd use the internet in the meantime. It's not a resource I had open to me in my day, but it must be great for students these days - particularly for maths where the standard of teacher often dictates how well you do!! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 first tutor grinds

My name is Simon, and I'm a first year student of Business and Law in UCD. Having just finished the leaving cert myself, and receiving 565 points, I know oh too well the hardships of sixth year and of exam pressures. I commenced giving official grinds for leaving cert maths at the start of the 2013 academic year and aim to expand on this with other subjects in which I also did well.

In Higher Maths I received an A1, and then built upon this with the module "Maths for Business"
    In Higher Economics I got an A2, and will only improve as my degree involves a high level of both micro and macro economics.
    In Higher Accounting I also got an A2, after also getting an A2 in the mocks this was a bit disappointing albeit.
    In Higher French I received an A1 and the Award for French from my secondary school, although I was not fluent I maintained a high standard and proficiency.
    In Applied Maths I received an A2 and will be available to assist with the following topics: Linear Motion, Relative Velocity, Projectiles, Connected Particles, Collisions, Hydrostatics, and Differential Equations
    Tutoring Experience:

My teaching experience is relatively minor, limited maths grinds for 2 leaving cert students in 5th and 6th year since the start of this year. However both students have expressed satisfaction and are available as referees.

I am an active member of the student legal service in UCD, a free legal service given by students to students on matters usually concerning tenant law or commercial disputes. Although not exactly teaching, the SLS provides training to aid the explanation of complex legal matters in a clear, concise, and non-condescending manner. A skill which transfers well to giving grinds.
    Approach to Grinds:

As a student myself, I utilise an approachable and friendly method of 1 to 1 grinds. Having analysed past papers and pasterns of questions I also try to give an understanding of the paper itself and what parts of the courses and of chapters are of crucial importance, whether you want your pass, or your A.

All rates are affordable and negotiable depending on ease of access and intensity of the grinds.

Available to work in South Dublin City, preferably near UCD on weekdays, with a flexible time table, and in Waterford City on most weekends.

Email: smcp95@gmail.com
    Phone: 085 175 9727

• Advertisement
Advertisement