Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly Plastered Room Feels Cold

• 17-10-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi , ive just got my extension plastered and wondering is the reason why it feels a bit cold anything got to do with the fresh plaster curing.

Its a pitched roof, insulation between joist and insulated slabs on block wall.
    We have just bought the house and have never lived in it so was wondering if it is just a cold house.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moisture evaporating from a surface reduces the temperature of that surface but I wouldn't expect more than a marginal cooling effect on the room. The air is likely to be a little more damp which could make it feel cooler. Also the extension is probably more exposed than other rooms.

Your BER cert should help you determine if its a cold house or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Is the heat on yet in the extension ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭p15574

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Hi , ive just got my extension plastered and wondering is the reason why it feels a bit cold anything got to do with the fresh plaster curing.

Its a pitched roof, insulation between joist and insulated slabs on block wall.
    We have just bought the house and have never lived in it so was wondering if it is just a cold house.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

My extension was freezing when we got it done first too. I think a major cause was a huge draught coming in under and around the skirting board. I took off the skirting and stuffed the gap between the plasterboard and floor with insulation, which seemed to greatly reduce the issue. This was a couple of years ago. I've long wondered where the draught was coming from though, especially when it's wintry and windy outside, and think I've nailed it down to the wall vents. There's obvously a vent on the outside wall, and one on the inside, but they're not directly connected. Airflow seems to come in and goes all around the wall space. I know this space needs to be ventilated, but I don't think it's required to this extent, so I've just last weekend taken off the inside vent and stuffed insulation around the inside, while leaving a passage for airflow between the room and the outside. It remains to be seen if this will make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

p15574 wrote: »
    My extension was freezing when we got it done first too. I think a major cause was a huge draught coming in under and around the skirting board. I took off the skirting and stuffed the gap between the plasterboard and floor with insulation, which seemed to greatly reduce the issue. This was a couple of years ago. I've long wondered where the draught was coming from though, especially when it's wintry and windy outside, and think I've nailed it down to the wall vents. There's obvously a vent on the outside wall, and one on the inside, but they're not directly connected. Airflow seems to come in and goes all around the wall space. I know this space needs to be ventilated, but I don't think it's required to this extent, so I've just last weekend taken off the inside vent and stuffed insulation around the inside, while leaving a passage for airflow between the room and the outside. It remains to be seen if this will make a big difference.

I'd have thought it more likely that air is entering via the roof/ceiling join at the edge of the insulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭p15574

homer911 wrote: »
    I'd have thought it more likely that air is entering via the roof/ceiling join at the edge of the insulation

Do you mean at the floor of the attic, which is where the plasterboard stops, or within the wall where the roof meets the gable end? I've wondered about the latter but have no way of checking if the wall is open here. Note that when it's windy I can feel a strong draught from some places - it's not just air circulating idly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement