Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domain name taken, want to buy it. Process?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

hope the title of the thread makes sense.

There is a .ie domain name that is taken. It is not being used for a web site but is registered. It is generic and is potentially for sale.

I would be interested in buying it but at a reasonable, fair price. It was renewed in June of this year for two years.

If a fair price can be achieved can the domain name be transferred readily enough? Is there any red tape etc?

Has anybody being through this process? Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

the only way you can get the .ie domain name in this case is by buying out the company that registered it in first place. if it's privately registered you will need to prove you are the one that has stronger connection to this name.

an .ie domain name cannot be "potentially for sale", the rules specifically forbids it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    the only way you can get the .ie domain name in this case is by buying out the company that registered it in first place. if it's privately registered you will need to prove you are the one that has stronger connection to this name.

an .ie domain name cannot be "potentially for sale", the rules specifically forbids it

If I call the company that has it and ask them hypothetically under what circumstances would they transfer or relinquish their interest in the domain name. Then an unofficial agreement is reached where they renounce their interest and I take it over by applying for it through the formal registration process etc.

Can this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

finisklin wrote: »
    Can this work?
    Are you asking in theory or in practise?

In theory, no. ".ie" domain names can't be sold/transferred like that and the only real way to purchase the domain is to purchase the parent business/company.

In practise, well... there are plenty of stories around (most of which are true) of ways people have gamed the system. Domains can be transferred, but if the IEDR get any indication that it's for financial reasons then the domain can be taken back (so lost to both parties involved in the deal breaking the IEDR rules).

So the short answer is.... it can be done, but it shouldn't be done and is breaking the rules and if you try and do it but make a mistake you'll lose it.

In my personal opinion it wouldn't be worth the hassle involved or the risks, but that's a personal decision you need to make for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Thanks for this......I'm trying to tease it out as I have limited experience in this area. I'm really keen on this domain name and it isn't been used. Appreciate the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You need to buy the business, that might not be that difficult, contact the owner. Doing a back door deal on it is not worth the risk do it properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement