Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone any info on Physics with Medical Physics & Bioengineering?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Im in 6th year at the moment and I am looking through as many medical science courses as I can find and noticed this one was pretty different with most of the others being biology/chemistry focused. But I can't seem to find much information about the course other than what is on the DIT site. Would be great if anyone could tell me something first hand about it. Also not sure about the Kevin's Street location as I heard it isn't very well equipped compared to some of the other colleges. Any help would great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Currently doing the course and I find it good. I hadn't done physics before, others hadnt done biology etc. so they start from the bottom, and I mean very bottom, of every subject (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, physics...and one or 2 others).

The physics is taught in a very different manner to other subjects, there are no actual physics lectures (in first year anyway). Rather than having the information thrown at you by a lecturer, they give you a practical problem and with a group of a few others you have to identify the physics laws, equations, needed to solve that problem, then to apply that physics.

It's a system that takes getting used to, but it ensures you must know the material and cant get left behind. You have normal labs/tutorials alongside it. Chemistry/Biology etc. are just normal lectures and labs.

Have only been inside Aungier St. and Kevin St. so cant really judge the places much, but I have no problems with Kevin St. (maybe too few pool tables). Kevin St. is where the (admittedly small) swimming pool and gym are. It has all standard facilities like a canteen, a snackery, shop etc. If you prefer the facilities in Aungier St. it's only around the corner anyway....

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Thanks for the reply, have you any idea what sort of post graduate course/job you might go for after the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

I'm currently in DT222, Physics Technology and we share all but one of our classes with the medical physics guys (in 3rd year). It's a good course and I really like it. I have an interview with Boston Scientific for a work placement which was set up by DIT. You should look them up if you want an idea of what careers a medical physicist might pursue.

I think Kevin St is a nice spot. The labs have pretty much everything you need and you get a lot of practical experience. They might not be perfect, but hey, neither is the real world so you're better off learning to work with what's available (It's not all about fancy, expensive equipment. Although there is plenty of it!).

Go and set up a meeting with one of the lecturers and see the campus/labs for yourself before you decide.

DO NOT base your opinion of ANY college on what others say, that is the best advice I can give you!

Best of luck and if you have any more questions, shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gunner311

Currently doing the course and I find it good. I hadn't done physics before, others hadnt done biology etc. so they start from the bottom, and I mean very bottom, of every subject (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, physics...and one or 2 others).

The physics is taught in a very different manner to other subjects, there are no actual physics lectures (in first year anyway). Rather than having the information thrown at you by a lecturer, they give you a practical problem and with a group of a few others you have to identify the physics laws, equations, needed to solve that problem, then to apply that physics.

It's a system that takes getting used to, but it ensures you must know the material and cant get left behind. You have normal labs/tutorials alongside it. Chemistry/Biology etc. are just normal lectures and labs.

Have only been inside Aungier St. and Kevin St. so cant really judge the places much, but I have no problems with Kevin St. (maybe too few pool tables). Kevin St. is where the (admittedly small) swimming pool and gym are. It has all standard facilities like a canteen, a snackery, shop etc. If you prefer the facilities in Aungier St. it's only around the corner anyway....

Hope that helps.

Sorry to bring up an old thread again..was hoping to start this course in September! I'm studying pharmaceutical science and it's not for me! Just wondering what the modules/ labs are like and how many hours a week does it have! Thanks!

Advertisement