Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bit of a weird question?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

first time poster but long time lurker so please excuse my weirdness :P I was in the SU common room (im a first year) during the week and noticed there was a visually impaired student trying to find a place to sit down, they had their stick but for obvious reasons they didnt want to swing it around too much but with the noise and everything they found it very hard to find a seat, I wanted to help but felt awkward in case they didnt actually want my help and I just made them feel bad. I was just wondering does anybody have any ideas if there was a way to help people that are visually impaired find their way around the SU better, I was thinking raised markers on the ground but im sure some people have better ideas that we can maybe put forward to the SU?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think I know who you are talking about. You'll find he gets around easier than you think but there is no harm in going over and gently asking him if he needs help. If you don't want to come across as patronising you could also ask someone to move over to give him a seat, most people won't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm visually impaired as well, though not to the same extent as the person you saw. Basically Cydoniac has hit it on the head, most people won't feel embarrassed if you just go up and ask if they need help.

Just try not to make it sound condescending, because believe me when I say, that gets irritating. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I also think I know who your talking about, just ask him if he needs help or if you know theres a seat available direct him to it. Hes a nice guy and does manage to get around fairly well

Advertisement